Chelsea vs MŠK Žilina

BlueLion.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely delighted. I know we were playing against the whipping boys but to see all (well, nearly all) of our youngsters play so well is refreshing.

Turnbull had a good game and did nothing wrong in my view; his handling was spot on and I recall him making a very good save when it was 0-1 to keep us in the game. Bruma was solid, van Aanholt played exceptionally well, Sturridge was probably the best player on the pitch and certainly full of effort and attacking intent which is what you want to see. McEachran was superb, his composure on the ball truly astounds me. Was also nice to see Mellis on the pitch. The only disappointment for me was Kakuta who still has yet to make an impression at all this season.

Out of the 'old fogeys,' I thought Ferreira had a very good match, Ivanovic was faultless, Ramires was assured in the second half, Malouda was effervescent at times but when he was involved we looked very dangerous. Impressed with Drogba's work rate tonight too, I've been critical of his performances and commitment recently, so it was great to see him so fired up and trying to work the crowd as well. Kalou was very good as well, I firmly believe he changed the game at half-time and might have had a goal himself. Can't complain with any performance from the old guard tonight. Truly chuffed.

blue%20scalf.gif

+ 1

In a way, this was quite reminiscent to the Birmingham game. After going a goal down in the first half, we came back very strong in the 2nd. The major difference is we finished our chances tonight (most of them), if we keep this up our form will go back to usual in no time.

sry...

ou're fans are annoing me... josh plays bollocks in the first half and the only real reliefs are studge, pva and kakuta and they're trying to say bad things that are not true... I'm gonna watch the match, kakuta absolutly skinned his opponent player 3 times and played great in the hole between midfield and strikers...

although kalou made the difference... it wasn't kakutas fault at all... get real ppl, he is one for the FUTURE not one for NOW... 'r you gonna let josh down as fast as kakuta?... he is only fully fit since 3 weeks after his backinjury against newastle, where he was again our best on the field in the first half...

ou're fans are annoing

sry...

ou're fans are annoing me... josh plays bollocks in the first half and the only real reliefs are studge, pva and kakuta and they're trying to say bad things that are not true... I'm gonna watch the match, kakuta absolutly skinned his opponent player 3 times and played great in the hole between midfield and strikers...

although kalou made the difference... it wasn't kakutas fault at all... get real ppl, he is one for the FUTURE not one for NOW... 'r you gonna let josh down as fast as kakuta?... he is only fully fit since 3 weeks after his backinjury against newastle, where he was again our best on the field in the first half...

ou're fans are annoing

kakuta was ok ,,didnt notice anyone here knocking him ,,,but danny was tops 1st half for me ...and kalou in the second ...josh had an excellent

2nd half

sry...

ou're fans are annoing

Josh was the most competent player on the pitch throughout the whole game for me. I don't see why you are so vehemently defending Kakuta, he did nothing to impress me. He did nothing for me to curse him and call him overrated - believe me, I know we have to be patient with young football players - but he has made no impression on me this season. That is my opinion and I am perfectly entitled to it. He may show a lot of promise to you, but for me, I'm unconvinced. Plus Kalou did more in 45 minutes than Kakuta did. I know I shouldn't compare but if you want to break into this Chelsea side as a kid you have to better the player who normally plays there - and for me, Kalou played better than Kakuta tonight.

Kalou had a great game and made things happen but it has to be said that Zilina just sat back in the 2nd half making it much easier for some of our wingers, Ramires and McEachran. I have the impression that Kakuta was man-marked for much of the first half, in any case he was playing much more centrally and like most of our central players had to deal with Zilina's pressure.

i just cant understand this F N "slow slow slow" football we've started to play, 1st half hour of the last 6-8 games and esp champs lge games---we always seem to get punished and then have to find another gear---can we F N not start at top speed and tie up the game then start knocking it around like "le Arse/Barca"---look at games we have bombed on from the start, we destroy teams early, then we cruise through them...

anyway back to the performances---

Turnbull, hadn't much to do but seemed confident on his crosses----

PVA, done well attacking wise, but seemed to struggle defensively in 1st half, tho not overly stretched, can be good cover for Ash esp in FA cup -----

Bruma, apart from the goal, quieter night than he would have thought.-----

Josh, great composure, tho some sloppy in passes 1st half and no need for the "70 yard st gerard of the scouse" passes but keen to get on the ball, so great starting debut..-----

Kakuta----some lovely touches and crosses, but needs to get on the ball more and attack the defence just like Kalou done.still good show, still young and will learn from more playing time with older players---

Sturridge-----played well, sometimes too keen and/or maybe too many flicks, and wants to shoot all the time instead of passing/playing one-twos, caused them trouble all night and glad he scored, a player that will be invaluable come the new year..

as regards the senior players, apart from Paulo and Bran, were the rest bothered 1st half?. . Kalou seemed to give them all life 2nd half or was that Carlo raising his voice in the dressing room??

Josh was the most competent player on the pitch throughout the whole game for me. I don't see why you are so vehemently defending Kakuta, he did nothing to impress me. He did nothing for me to curse him and call him overrated - believe me, I know we have to be patient with young football players - but he has made no impression on me this season. That is my opinion and I am perfectly entitled to it. He may show a lot of promise to you, but for me, I'm unconvinced. Plus Kalou did more in 45 minutes than Kakuta did. I know I shouldn't compare but if you want to break into this Chelsea side as a kid you have to better the player who normally plays there - and for me, Kalou played better than Kakuta tonight.

agree completely

Made it hard for ourselves but god there in the end.Hopfully confidence will start to come back!!

And we're top :D heres hoping we dont go down the route we did last year,,finish top get the worse draw and go out

Some good performances from the young ones as well espically from Danny :D

But omg Sky commentators..jesus christ it was like we were loosing 8-0...'the odds on Chels loosing to start were this' 'this happened this day and this happened this day if they loose blah blah'

Josh gave the ball away too much for me. Patrick was the best out of the academy youngsters and Sturridge was the best player on the pitch. I think Ramires is starting to grow as a Chelsea fc player now. Ramires is having more of a say in the last third of the pitch a bit like Essien.

Enjoyable game for me tonight, Its not often lately that we see Chelsea with that much posesstion, and we used it tbf, We didn't have Lampard or Essien driving forward, Drogba still not back to his best. McEachran was poor I thought in the first half being honest, He gave away the ball too many times, One ridiclous pass where he completly underhit it and it went straight to the opposition springs to mind, But he really came into his own in the second half. He did exactly why I thought the holding role would suit him, He stayed behind, Sprayed the ball around, and was cool and composed. Drogba was always a presense tonight, He might not have done much on the ball throughout the game, But he was keeping the defenders busy and really created the room for Sturridge to work with. Ramires was decent in the second half, Hope to see more of the same. Bar the first goal Bruma was good and PvA could have been our man of the match, Reminded me of Ashley Cole, what a strike he hit! Sturridge was outstanding, I just wished sometimes he'd look up before lashing a shot.

Only downside, Kakuta. He was poor. He hit one or two good balls but seemed out of his depth and afraid to take his man on like he does for the reserves. Hope this problem is addressed soon.

Don't think anyone can really complain about the game, We were praying for our youngsters for sometime now, and with 5 of them in the side we beat the Slovakian Champions. Not much, buts its a start.