La Liga Thread

Steve

I guess i just should've named Barcelona's starting line-up in the Dream Eleven thread. They're looking unstoppable at the moment and are crushing everybody in their way with unbelievable football.

I think we're witnessing the best team in football history.

Anything from playing in an uncompetitive league to preferring sides with more flair could be used against them.

Last year some described Chelsea as a well-oiled machine and that's exactly how I feel about the current Barcelona side. As a neutral I would vote for any of the brilliant Brazil teams or the legendary Real and Milan teams as I value unpredictability more than effectiveness.

Oh and I still hate them for 2009 ;)

Anything from playing in an uncompetitive league to preferring sides with more flair could be used against them.

Last year some described Chelsea as a well-oiled machine and that's exactly how I feel about the current Barcelona side. As a neutral I would vote for one of the brilliant Brazil teams or the legendary Real and Milan teams as I value unpredictability more than effectiveness.

Oh and I still hate them for 2009 ;)

Hmm. Let me first explain that i was talking about club teams if that wasn't clear.

About your well-oiled machine comment, i don't think you can compare that comment about Chelsea with Barcelona. If i'm not wrong you're talking that run that led us to the title but you can't compare a ,what about 10-15 games, run to a team that has been playing incredible since 08/09 season and even got better and better.

And i hope you and i agree that just because a team isn't winning the CL every year, they're not the best team around.

And about the legendary Real & Milan teams, did you actually see those team play to make a statement like that? And do you know that those teams were actually playing in a competitive league?

And do you watch current Barcelona's matches?(i know, a lot of questions happy.gif)

And keep in mind that i'm not saying current Barcelona is the best team in football history, just to make that clear.

Hmm. Let me first explain that i was talking about club teams if that wasn't clear.

About your well-oiled machine comment, i don't think you can compare that comment about Chelsea with Barcelona. If i'm not wrong you're talking that run that led us to the title but you can't compare a ,what about 10-15 games, run to a team that has been playing incredible since 08/09 season and got better and better.

And i hope you and i agree that just because a team isn't winning the CL every year, they're not the best team around.

I'm certainly not comparing our success with Barcelona's. What I'm saying is that both team worked and operated like a perfect machine.

Cole's overlaps were tactical just like Lampard's late runs in the box,Messi's dribbling,movement and his 1-2s with Alves. Sometimes I'd rather watch unpredictable but flawed players like Ronaldinho(05-07) than Messi as most things he and his Barcelona side do feel a bit mechanical/industrial. I'm probably using the wrong words but the point that I'm trying to make is that the "perfectness" of their style/play can get old to a non-supporter.

A perfect example of how it can get boring after a while is the World Cup winning Spain. They were playing much like Barcelona (being more or less as effective as them) but were lacking the extra inspiration that Messi sometimes brings to the table, IMO it made them one of the most dull and boring national sides I've seen.

And about the legendary Real & Milan teams, did you actually see those team play to make a statement like that? And do you know that those teams were actually playing in a competitive league?

It was probably a bad example but when Di Stefano's Real and the Dutch Milan are being mentioned in the same breath as 1970 Brazil by everyone I can't doubt those teams. Milan were certainly in a more competitive league and not knowing about Spain's league back then I am willing to assume that it could hardly be less competitive than the current La Liga.

And keep in mind that i'm not saying current Barcelona is the best team in football history, just to make that clear.
Cool :tiphat:

I'm certainly not comparing our success with Barcelona's. What I'm saying is that both team worked and operated like a perfect machine.

Cole's overlaps were tactical just like Lampard's late runs in the box,Messi's dribbling,movement and his 1-2s with Alves. Sometimes I'd rather watch unpredictable but flawed players like Ronaldinho(05-07) than Messi as most things he and his Barcelona side do feel a bit mechanical/industrial. I'm probably using the wrong words but the point that I'm trying to make is that the "perfectness" of their style/play can get old to a non-supporter.

A perfect example of how it can get boring after a while is the World Cup winning Spain. They were playing much like Barcelona (being more or less as effective as them) but were lacking the extra inspiration that Messi sometimes brings to the table, IMO it made them one of the most dull and boring national sides I've seen.

I get what you mean about them working like a perfect machine (don't agree with you about it getting old though) now but you're talking about a preffered style of play though. I'd rather watch a team with great individual artists like Ronaldinho back in his prime or Ibrahimovic too since you'll never know what happens

But I'm talking about talking about the best team as in there hasn't been a better team. The level this team can reach is absolutely astonishing and when they reach it, they can crush every single team out there. They reached that level against Real Madrid and sadly for them, they proved what i mean.

About Spain, they were simply a lesser side than current Barcelona or Euro 2008 Spain. They lacked serious firepower with Villa their only real threat up front with Torres in horrible form. Del Bosque also played with two defensive midfielders so they were less dominating and lacked a man up front.

The World Cup was simply a disaster because of defensive tactics, a lack of great sides and horrible ball.

It was probably a bad example but when Di Stefano's Real and the Dutch Milan are being mentioned in the same breath as 1970 Brazil by everyone I can't doubt those teams.

Yeah but there also talks going around about this Barcelona side being the best ever.

Milan were certainly in a more competitive league and not knowing about Spain's league back then I am willing to assume that it could hardly be less competitive than the current La Liga.

I really don't think the Spanish League back than (in the 50's !) had the likes of Atletico, Villarreal, Sevilla and Valencia (or what about Deportivo back in the learly 2000's) in their league. I don't even think club football in general was (really) competitive back then. I mean, winning 5 European Cups/CL's in a row... And there hardly any talks about other (great) teams except for the Great Real Madrid side.

• 3 weeks later...