La Liga Thread

Steve

Ronaldo: The £80m bargain

When Cristiano Ronaldo moved to Real Madrid from Manchester United in 2009, he faced a tough task justifying his world record price tag.

Two-and-a-half seasons and just 105 games later, Ronaldo has reached 100 goals for the club.

He brought up his century on Wednesday night with a brace against Lyon, including a viciously powerful free-kick.

It is a staggering achievement, which shows Real Madrid have achieved the impossible and got themselves an £80 million bargain.

In a world where Andy Carroll costs a cool £35 million and Charles N'Zogbia sets you back £10m, surely Ronaldo classifies as an absolute steal? Who wouldn't break for a player who guarantees excellence week after week?

Ronaldo's consistency has been truly breathtaking, averaging virtually a goal a game from the moment he arrived at the Bernabeu.

2009/10: 35 games, 33 goals

2010/11: 54 games, 53 goals

2011/12: 16 games, 14 goals

And this from a man who does not even play as a traditional out-and-out striker.

Ronaldo genuinely has it all - skill, imagination and trickery allied with strength, pace, aerial ability and almost perfect two-footedness.

Yet somehow, for all his talent, fame and success, Ronaldo is something of an underappreciated player.

THE SHADOW OF MESSI

If Ronaldo's feats are extraordinary, Lionel Messi's border on the superhuman and leave his rival firmly in the shade.

In the time it took Ronaldo to score 100 goals, Messi netted 122, and recently reached 200 total goals for Barcelona aged 24.

The Argentine is two years younger, more popular and at a more successful club. He has performed better in 'Clasico' encounters, outscoring his rival 6-3 when they have gone head-to-head.

But then Messi might just be the best player of all time, and his supporting cast outshines Ronaldo's by a distance.

There is no shame in being 'only' the second-best player in the world; even if Ronaldo himself would probably baulk at the description.

Just because Messi is transcendentally brilliant, it does not follow that Ronaldo is a donkey.

A TRUE WINNER?

There remains a lingering perception that Ronaldo is not a proper 'winner' - that he struggles in the really big games and is quick to sulk when things go against him.

Messi's superior record in 'Clasico' matches adds to the impression. Real have beaten Barcelona just once in nine attempts during the Ronaldo era - an extra-time victory in last season's Copa del Rey final.

But this should not be enough to dismiss Ronaldo - he is, after all, part of an inferior side, yet he always carries the can for collective failure.

When he plays for the team, he is accused of disappearing; when he tries to be a hero, he is accused of selfishness. He cannot win.

Messi appears the ultimate winner at club level, but that all changes when he plays for Argentina, away from the fertile passes of Xavi and Andres Iniesta. Not even the world's greatest player can do it all himself.

Likewise Ronaldo's roll of honour at Manchester United suggests he is hardly a born loser - three Premier Leagues, one FA Cup, one Champions League (scoring in the final).

'RICH, HANDSOME AND GREAT'

Perhaps the biggest cause of anti-Ronaldo sentiment is the man's staggering self-regard. He has plenty of fans, but none bigger than Cristiano Ronaldo himself.

Compared with Messi's joyful approach to the game, Ronaldo appears a sneering, snarling presence who cracks a smile only when considering his own brilliance.

Off the pitch, he has produced some magnificently boastful remarks including this one earlier this season: "I think that because I am rich, handsome and a great player people are envious of me. I don't have any other explanation."

And how about this one from last month: "I think that all those who like football are happy when Cristiano Ronaldo is playing."

The thing is, he's right.

He might not be Leo Messi, he might not play for the best team in the world (the second-best, maybe) and he might love himself a little too much - but Cristiano Ronaldo is a remarkable footballer.

He was a snip at £80m for Real Madrid, and is a delight to watch for any true football fan.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/football/armchair-pundit/article/15075/

Brilliant article.

I still would like to see Messi do it for Argentina, see if he can do it without Xavi & Iniesta.

Ronaldo's managed to walk into United, Real & Portugal and still emerge a sensational player.

While I could have argued through a long post, but I think this video is enough :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT9H0-hm9u4

While I could have argued through a long post, but I think this video is enough

Aha, I knew I should've been clearer :lol:

Not doubting his incredible ability on a football pitch. But just sayin', could he do it out of the Barcelona system? As Ronaldo did.

To do it with Argentina would be something special.

^ He can't do that, and he won't do that.

People are fooled by the fact he plays for Argentina. Indeed, in most people minds, Argentina is a good selection. But it actually is a poor team. They just have some good forwards, but other than that, they are soooo poor. And when you are coached by Maradonna, no doubt you can't achieve a thing. If Messi was playing for, let's say, Chile, everybody would agree that he can't win silverwares with his national team. Plus, for Argentina he has to play as a N°10 because he is the only player able to bring creativity (he has to every thing, by the way). But it isn't his position, he is a striker. So, we can't expect him to reproduce with Argentina what he does with Barcelona. Finaly, when he plays with the Albiceleste, he isn't that poor, and he is always their best player.

To conclude, people need to realize he won't win the World Cup, that is impossible. I don't think Pelé, Maradonna, Zidane, Ronaldo and co had a team that weak around them.

^ He can't do that, and he won't do that.

People are fooled by the fact he plays for Argentina. Indeed, in most people minds, Argentina is a good selection. But it actually is a poor team. They just have some good forwards, but other than that, they are soooo poor. And when you are coached by Maradonna, no doubt you can't achieve a thing. If Messi was playing for, let's say, Chile, everybody would agree that he can't win silverwares with his national team. Plus, for Argentina he has to play as a N°10 because he is the only player able to bring creativity (he has to every thing, by the way). But it isn't his position, he is a striker. So, we can't expect him to reproduce with Argentina what he does with Barcelona. Finaly, when he plays with the Albiceleste, he isn't that poor, and he is always their best player.

To conclude, people need to realize he won't win the World Cup, that is impossible. I don't think Pelé, Maradonna, Zidane, Ronaldo and co had a team that weak around them.

Not to win the world cup.

I understand about the Argentine squad being very weak actually. They're like how City used to be, a lethal attack, but no team balance. No disputing this even today. However looking at Messi's own individual performance in that squad, it's very different than how he is at Barcelona. He doesn't dribble as effectively or score as much.

I still enjoy watching Messi and no denying he's the world's best player. But I prefer Cristiano for some reason..