"Ancelotti talked me out of joining Jose"

Term-X

Ashley Cole: Carlo Ancelotti talked me out of joining Jose Mourinho in Madrid

2760868.png

Ashley Cole has admitted that only the persuasive powers of Chelsea manager Carlo Ancelotti stopped him walking out of Stamford Bridge to join former manager Jose Mourinho at Real Madrid last summer. With Cole's private life under scrutiny during his high-profile divorce, the England full-back was tempted by the thought of moving. But Cole reveals in a television interview: 'It was hard for me in my head.It wasn't just about the football, it was more my brain and it was getting too much for me.

Looking forward: Ashley Cole (left) in action yesterday for Chelsea against Aston Villa 'There were times when it was really hard. I did think about leaving but, of course, when I spoke to Ancelotti he made it clear he wanted me to stay and loved having me around, and the players didn't want me to go. 'I'm glad I stayed. A lot of people were saying "you can't leave","he's basically giving up and he has to take the flak". 'I've stayed now and I've taken the flak and hopefully I'm coming through it.' Colewas a big fan of Mourinho, who signed him for Chelsea, but he claims Ancelotti has brought Chelsea together in a way the managers who served between their reigns - Avram Grant, Luiz Felipe Scolari and Guus Hiddink- did not. 'I enjoyed them and worked really hard under them and they were good guys,' the defender told ESPN. 'But I don't know what it is with Carlo. He seems to be one of the lads. He knows when to be serious, but he joins in at training and every enjoys having him around. When you have someone like that around you it makes you want to fight and win for him. He just brings out the best in the lot of us.'

Now Cole, as he approaches his 30th birthday, says he intends to see out his career at Stamford Bridge although he does reveal that injury may be the biggest threat to

playing out his final years at Chelsea. 'I would love to end my career here,' said Cole, whose Chelsea contract expires in 2013. 'I'd like to say I have four years left at the top, but I'm taking it year by year and seeing how the body is because I'm 29 but I feel like 35 or 40. It's hard getting up in the mornings.' Cole has achieved a great deal already, with winner's medals from six FA Cups, three Premier League titles and one League Cup.

Ashley Cole equalled the record for the most capped England fullback Yet he is still desperate for more and eager to add a Champions League success to his collection - if his past ankle problems do not catch up with him. In February, he broke his ankle at Everton and was out for three months. When asked about his ambitions, Cole said: 'Being able to go to the toilet without limping. I'm like an old man every morning.'I still think about the Champions League finals I lost (with former club Arsenal and then Chelsea). Thingslike that come into your head and it makes you more determined.'

Cole has long been a hate figure for some England fans and his popularity reached a low in the summer when he came under fire after the World Cup for an apparently flippant attitude to the team's failure. That coincided with sordid revelations about his private life as he split with pop-star wife Cheryl Cole, but the Chelsea defender believes the experience has made him stronger.

Cole equalled Kenny Sansom's 86-cap record for an England full-back in last week's draw with Montenegro and the fans' cheers were a welcome change.

'I always get booed at Wembley so it was like "here we go again", and I was very surprised and very thankful with the reaction and the ovation that I got,' he said. 'I couldn't believe it. I thought they'd boo me more because of the record. There were a few boos, but that's understandable.

'If I'm really honest, the boos hurt.I just want to win things and I try to ignore it.' THE NUMBERS GAME 9 Ashley Cole is equal ninth in England's all-time list of cap-winners with 86, level with fellow left-back Kenny Sansom.6 His FA Cup winner's medals - beating 19th-century heroes James Forrest, Charles Wollaston and Arthur Kinnaird.3 Cole has played for three clubs: Arsenal (1998-2006), Crystal Palace (on loan, 1999-2000) and Chelsea (2006-present).5 The number of Premier League goals the defender has scored for both Arsenal and Chelsea. Cole sent his shirt from the night to Sansom and has now set himself a target of winning 100 caps, revealing, too, that he had spoken to his England left-back predecessor years ago about breaking the record.

There have been times recently when Cole playing for England was no certainty, never mind reaching long-standing landmarks. But he insists he has grown from the furore that has engulfed him for months and cast doubt over his international career. As Chelsea prepare to go to Spartak Moscow in the Champions League on Tuesday, Cole believes things are turning to such a degree that he is starting to gain respect for the way he plays. 'I never said I'm one of the best, I've got a lot to improve in my game,' he said. 'But of course it's nice that people are maybe starting to realise all the off-field stuff, it kind of happens in life. 'Maybe it's better for me - now I've dealt with it and I'm playing the best football I've ever played.' If it was not for Chelsea manager Ancelotti, that might not have been the case.

http://www.dailymail...nho-Madrid.html

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A nice read for once, coming from the daily mail.

I am indeed glad that he hadn't left and eager to see him finish his career.

He has to one of the best left backs in history.

And good to see him praise Carlo.

Time to add to that success story

blue%20scalf.gif

The only thing that might stop him achieving legend status is that he played for Arsenal :lol: I joke of course :lol: If he ends his career with us there is no doubt in my mind he'll be a Blues legend - of course not in the same bracket as Terry and Lampard but certainly on par with the likes of Essien, Drogba and Cech.

The only thing that might stop him achieving legend status is that he played for Arsenal :lol: I joke of course :lol: If he ends his career with us there is no doubt in my mind he'll be a Blues legend - of course not in the same bracket as Terry and Lampard but certainly on par with the likes of Essien, Drogba and Cech.

:carlo:

Speaking of achieving legendary status, Carlo Ancelotti anybody? Only manager in our history to do the double, he has brought a sense of stability to the club both on and off the pitch, he has drastically improved our public image and of course he wins trophies, if he maintains this sort of success rate for another 4 or 5 years then there is no reason why he cant go down in history as one of our great managers.

Carlo is a godsend for our club Im sure hes talked more players than Ashley into staying at chelsea

Regardless if he played for arse or not ash will be remembered by us for many many years Eventhough he wont be considered as highly As terry lamps zola or osgood He will have A standing at our club that 100s of players dont have

And will madrid ever learn to stop spending fuckloads of money its just going to further humiliate him when barca or valencia beat them And its just going to have a motorway pile up effect on the team

Speaking of achieving legendary status, Carlo Ancelotti anybody? Only manager in our history to do the double, he has brought a sense of stability to the club both on and off the pitch, he has drastically improved our public image and of course he wins trophies, if he maintains this sort of success rate for another 4 or 5 years then there is no reason why he cant go down in history as one of our great managers.

Carlo has the chance to become this club's greatest ever manager. Obviously most of us will say José Mourinho is currently the greatest (rightfully), however come next season (if things go well) I'm sure the majority would say Carlo. It all comes down to if Carlo can deliver the coveted Champions League, if he does that, he becomes the legend he's shaping up to be.

The real test is if we have *touch wood* a bad season. Say, for example, if we only won 1 trophy or worse no-one *touch wood*, would we keep him on or not? I think all of us, who've seen managers come and go, will pray Carlo stays for the good and bad.

Ashley Cole is an British legend, not only a Chelsea legend. He wouldn't be compared to JT or Lampard due to his Arsenal years, or the place which molded him to become the perfect player he has become. I would love to see a plaque or a box named after him in the decades ahead, but then again, that's then and we are here now, so you don't know how much bigger of a legend he can become.

blue%20scalf.gif

Mourinho's effect on his players is really frightening.I could understand Carvalho wanting to follow him but players who have played in England their whole lifes like Lampard and Ashley?

We should be thankful to Ancelotti for many this.

Only when Ash retires will England fans realise what they had.

:goodpost:

I pity all the anti-chelsea scumbags slagging Ashley because of his private life. As long as he does the business on the pitch, they should respect him for that.