Ipswich Town Youth 0 Chelsea FC Youth 0

The Under 18s earned their first point in three games on Saturday from what was an uneventful game. Dermot Drummy's side, captained by Ben Sampayo (pictured), enjoyed the lion's share of possession but were unable to convert it into more than the odd chance. Towards the end of the game they survived when Ipswich hit the post and when reduced to 10 men with midfielder Anton Rodgers the player sent off.

Nathaniel Chalobah moved down from the reserve squad to play his first youth team game of the season in midfield, and Adam Nditi started for the first time as one of the front three.

He had the best opportunity to score when played in one-on-one with the keeper by Bobby Devyne but the shot was blocked.

Prior to that, Jamal Blackman in the Chelsea goal had made a save.

Blackman saved again in the second half and then had to watch as free-kick hit woodwork, but the young Blues had been on top before Rodgers was shown a red card on 77 minutes for dissent.

He would have missed next week's match at home to Arsenal anyway due to international duty. Chalobah was booked in the first half.

'We were attack-minded and Ipswich seemed to happy to defend,' reports Drummy.

'We defended fine and had quite a lot of possession but lacked any real killer instinct. The boys need to learn to be more creative in the final third.'

Chelsea: Jamal Blackman; Ben Sampayo ©, Archange Nkumu, George Saville, Reece Loudon (Amin Affane); Todd Kane, Nathaniel Chalobah, Anton Rodgers; Adam Nditi (Lewis Baker) Bobby Devyne, Buomesca Na Bangna (Danny Stenning).

Source: Chelsea FC

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only one who thinks Chelsea youth should be beating the frigging Ipswich youth?

You should never doubt the youth teams of clubs who play in lower divisions with their senior squads. It's often the "smaller" clubs who have the most successful academies.

I know that. But even so, it's not unreasonable to expect the youth team of a world class club which has a very expensive academy structure and global scouting networks to be doing better than it currently is. 1 point out of 9 is ridiculous.

I know that. But even so, it's not unreasonable to expect the youth team of a world class club which has a very expensive academy structure and global scouting networks to be doing better than it currently is. 1 point out of 9 is ridiculous.

It's always been an area we've needed to improve on and are doing so. It takes time, but progress is being made

What you have to remember is that we play a lot younger players than most clubs, especially than the lower league clubs. So many players could be playing who have moved up to reserves, we are more concerned with developing the players and giving them the chance of playing higher levels. We play a number of schoolboys at youth level, even Nathaniel Chalobah is basically skipping U18's level.

Whilst it would be nice to be winning every game it is not what is important at this level, the development of our better players is the most important thing. Playing against more physically developed players will be good for their long term progress but short term results will suffer. You will see in most of these games us having more of the ball and with better passing.

Fair point.

But I'm wondering if our youth are being trained to play just like how our seniors do - pretty football when it's needed and tough, combative, physical performances when the situation so arises. I love the physicality of our side - it's something that sets us apart from everyone else because we can mix it anyway we want. I'd hate to see us become another Arsenal - all about just pretty passing.

Fair point.

But I'm wondering if our youth are being trained to play just like how our seniors do - pretty football when it's needed and tough, combative, physical performances when the situation so arises. I love the physicality of our side - it's something that sets us apart from everyone else because we can mix it anyway we want. I'd hate to see us become another Arsenal - all about just pretty passing.

Indeed they are coached to deal with the physical side, the trouble is, at this age in their development playing against older boys and competing physically is a lot harder than when playing mens football. The physical development at that age is big. BUT this is one of the things that helps them to learn to deal with the physical side of football. Just look at the youth cup winning side, Connor Clifford, Kaby Djalo, Gokhan Tore ect.. all able to mix it physically as well as play good football. The idea is to develop the players the exact way the first team plays.