Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bloody

Homosexuality in Football

Started by bloody,

156 posts in this topic

pleaseeeeeeeee dont show that pic of gobby neville kissing shrek on the mouth

looool. he was kissin scholes not shrek but thats beside the point.

and pleaseeeeeeeeeeee people dont ruin this topic.

Fair point mate, he did commit suicide but I genuinely think the times have changed. People are generally more open-minded and increasing liberal also - I certainly have nothing against it.

looool. he was kissin scholes not shrek but thats beside the point.

and pleaseeeeeeeeeeee people dont ruin this topic.

yes it was the ginger nutter ..my mistake ...still almost asbad....im not homophobic just hate ugliness...

I think Fernando Torres should come out of the closet :P.

No offence guys, it's a serious problem i know, but imo having some banter about people that are mainly seen like different, is part of being held for a normal person.

I don't treat anyone different or more careful because they are gay or have a different skin color etc. Making jokes about someone sexuality, race or whatever can be good fun, if the 'other' guy understands that it is a joke. I really can't stand it if people take stuff like that too seriously. (it works the same way around for me, if people would maken jokes about my skincolor or sexuality, bring it on :)).

I don't treat anyone different or more careful because they are gay or have a different skin color etc. Making jokes about someone sexuality, race or whatever can be good fun, if the 'other' guy understands that it is a joke. I really can't stand it if people take stuff like that too seriously. (it works the same way around for me, if people would maken jokes about my skincolor or sexuality, bring it on :)).

Agree with this, but think there's a very thin line between banter and going too far.

I wouldn't be that pleased if the player I was supporting for years came out and said he was gay.

How surprising. Your one of the people who didn't want Benayoun because he's Jewish, right?

Some people are different from you. That's life.

nofreakingway and BlueLion. like this

Agree with this, but think there's a very thin line between banter and going too far.

What I always try to do is to make it a little bit less of an serious issue (one of the ways to it is to joke about it), it helps a lot imo. It makes 'being gay' and all that comes with it more debatable, wich is the first step to improvement, at least that's my opinion.

I live in Amsterdam now, and you probably know that there is no escaping people like you with the massive gay-scene that's around :P, so i'm definitely used to it.

How surprising. Your one of the people who didn't want Benayoun because he's Jewish, right?

Some people are different from you. That's life.

No need to get bitter. What I said was not malicious, just a personal opinion. I am entitled to my opinion am I not? I never said I dislike gays, and to make it clear I don't. Without going to deep into it I will try and explain why I would be displeased if a player I idolize came out of the closet; quite simply I think being gay is a choice, a different one than mine, and in a way I guess I think it is the wrong choice. But still a persons choice nonetheless, he/she is free to do what ever they like and I'm not going to try and stop them. If Drogba came out and said he's gay I'd still love the man, just wouldn't wear his jersey.

If Drogba came out and said he was gay, he'd have some explaining to do to his wife and kids I guess :lol: But I see your point, and although I disagree with that particular attitude its each to their own as you say.

To be honest I don't see homosexuality as a choice though. Its something you're born with, and you obviously can't change that. In my view (this is quite a philosophical view for me :lol:) no-one is born hetero- or homosexual; people are just assumed to be straight because for thousands of years that has been the 'social norm.'

You can say that for many of the Ancient Empires; Alexander the Great is perhaps history's greatest figure: he ruled half of the known world and maintained an Empire only bettered by the British. What a lot of people don't know about him was that he was bisexual and had many 'dancing boys' and male servants who would serve him in more than one way, if you know my meaning. He was never the closet gay he was shown to be on the film though!

The attitude of homosexuality being excepted per sé was only ended with the Roman Catholic church. Anyone who was homosexual was excommunicated as it is deemed sinful to be homosexual - this is the argument that God created Adam and Eve; not Adam and Steve. Anyone who was excommunicated lost the grace and protection of God and would spend their days in Hell, or worse, in Purgatory. Around 1200 BC, attitudes changed slightly - people were even more God-fearing, but they were scared of the Roman Catholic Church even moreso. If you were gay, chances were you would be killed. So my point is basically this - people were so scared of being homosexual and the repercussions they almost psychologically forced themselves to be straight, if you catch my drift!

I believe that's where, at least in the western world, its become the 'social norm' for people to be straight. Which is awkward since you can't control an emotion or attitude so strong.

No need to get bitter. What I said was not malicious, just a personal opinion. I am entitled to my opinion am I not? I never said I dislike gays, and to make it clear I don't. Without going to deep into it I will try and explain why I would be displeased if a player I idolize came out of the closet; quite simply I think being gay is a choice, a different one than mine, and in a way I guess I think it is the wrong choice. But still a persons choice nonetheless, he/she is free to do what ever they like and I'm not going to try and stop them. If Drogba came out and said he's gay I'd still love the man, just wouldn't wear his jersey.

i dont think its a choice, their born with it. nobody would chose to be ridiculed, taunted, harassed, bullied and/or even physically abused if they can help it. nobody would want to be afraid to openly be themselves because of bigotry and discrimination.

I don't have a problem with gay people at all, like bloody said, rather have a good gay player than a shit straight one.

If only all people were as understanding..

just to be clear, if a shite gay player play for us, id be criticising him for his shit perfomance. not for the fact that he is gay.

Started a thread similar to this on the old Talk chelsea site. ...It was deleted after a while.

Conservative estimates put 1 in 30 are gay...thats a hell of a lot of gay footballers waiting to come out.

Unfortunately Football is one of those last bastions of macho culture where players wouldnt feel comfortable about coming out. That said, the authorities, Blatter etc probably dead against it. You have institutional racism , and doubtless theres institutional homophobia.

yeh. talkin about blatter i hope the next gay player who comes out play for real madrid or barshitlona. see how he like it if a gay player play/played for his beloved clubs.

itll maybe also shut him up if the 3rd gay who comes out play for an english club.

This is real good discussion and i am happy that most of the people on here are very open minded and progressive about sexualitiy and gender roles as well.

Spot on BlueLion, really good postings !

I hope that one day everyone who wants to can out himself as a homosexual without any fear.

I can tell you, from first hand experience, one MILLION percent, its not a choice pal. The feelings you have mentally towards women, you don't choose to have, you just KNOW you like them. For me, its the same with men. If I woke up tomorrow and 'choose' to fancy women, I'd still have the same feelings for men, because, well, that's just how it is.

There are teenagers killing themselves in America (I'm sure you've read/seen that on the news) because of the way they have been bullied for being gay. No one chooses that, do they.

yum, BlueLion. and nofreakingway like this

I'd have no problem with a player coming out and admitting they were openly gay, because i'm not against that sort of thing, we are what we are. But in the world of football, its almost not safe to come out and admit it, because we all know how fans can be. I mean you look at non-gay players who recieved abuse from fans: Sol Campbell, Ashley Cole etc. It would make a players life hell if he came out, unless he was fully confident he'd be able to deal with the expected backlash.

It seems horrible to say backlash, as if he's doing something wrong, but the world of football is cruel..

I'm actually thinking about writing a short essay on this issue for my Sports Journalism course, i was thinking about it anyway, so its interesting to see it being discussed on here :)

I can tell you, from first hand experience, one MILLION percent, its not a choice pal. The feelings you have mentally towards women, you don't choose to have, you just KNOW you like them. For me, its the same with men. If I woke up tomorrow and 'choose' to fancy women, I'd still have the same feelings for men, because, well, that's just how it is.

There are teenagers killing themselves in America (I'm sure you've read/seen that on the news) because of the way they have been bullied for being gay. No one chooses that, do they.

Exactly I didn't choose those feelings. Its part of being a human, its instinct. Men and women are supposed to be together for the purpose of procreation, which many see as the whole purpose of life. Altering from that pre-destined, for lack of a better word, attraction, is a choice. I don't believe a baby is born gay, it's all got to do with how he was socialized. Unless there is a gene in gay people that distinguishes them form everyone else, I don't see it as being anything other than a choice.

Term-X likes this

To be fair CFC58, I doubt that there is some greater homosexual council whose mission it is to end civilisation by making sure everybody is gay rather than straight thus killing off mankind. Some people are gay, some people are straight, we dont know if your born with a sexual prefrence or if it has to do with your upbringing or life experiences but Id be pretty confident you dont walk out your frontdoor some morning and decide "you know what, today Im gonna be gay." At the end of the day to feel sexually attracted to somebody cant happen by choice.

To be fair CFC58, I doubt that there is some greater homosexual council whose mission it is to end civilisation by making sure everybody is gay rather than straight thus killing off mankind. Some people are gay, some people are straight, we dont know if your born with a sexual prefrence or if it has to do with your upbringing or life experiences but Id be pretty confident you dont walk out your frontdoor some morning and decide "you know what, today Im gonna be gay." At the end of the day to feel sexually attracted to somebody cant happen by choice.

Spot on.

Exactly I didn't choose those feelings. Its part of being a human, its instinct. Men and women are supposed to be together for the purpose of procreation, which many see as the whole purpose of life. Altering from that pre-destined, for lack of a better word, attraction, is a choice. I don't believe a baby is born gay, it's all got to do with how he was socialized. Unless there is a gene in gay people that distinguishes them form everyone else, I don't see it as being anything other than a choice.

So like, during the war when Nazi's had gay people wear the pink triangle, these people were CHOOSING to go through that treatment? When I was 13/14 and coming out, I would have done literally anything to turn straight but I couldn't. Whatever you think at that age and whatever you do to change it, its always there. No choice. For the record, I'd never 'choose' to change now.

You're entitled to your opinion. I just can't believe your side of this in the slightest.

Endrit and nofreakingway like this

Fair enough. Question: When you were a child did you ever have an attraction to a girl in your class? Be honest. I bet there was a girl you had little crush on when you were 8-10. And aren't you a little bit irked by the fact you will never have a child? Don't mean to be rude or insensitive but you don't want to pass on your seed, family name, your legacy? I just want to reiterate I got nothing against peoples sexual preference, I may not understand it, but I'm a libertarian, to each his own.

Fair enough. Question: When you were a child did you ever have an attraction to a girl in your class? Be honest. I bet there was a girl you had little crush on when you were 8-10. And aren't you a little bit irked by the fact you will never have a child? Don't mean to be rude or insensitive but you don't want to pass on your seed, family name, your legacy? I just want to reiterate I got nothing against peoples sexual preference, I may not understand it, but I'm a libertarian, to each his own.

lol. you do know that there are infertile guys dont you? so not every straight guy can get their wives pregnant. besides you can always adopt children if you want to pass on your family name and legacy.

nofreakingway likes this