Chelsea vs Olympique de Marseille

BlueLion.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very happy. Marseille are a very good team and the second half demonstrated that. However the performance overall was competent and we effectively did enough to win the game in the first half an hour.

Some people will be critical of the second half performance as we invited a lot of pressure but we were rarely worried to such an extent that you thought a goal was inevitable; the defence looked exceptionally well-drilled tonight and John Terry was by far and away the best player on the pitch. Going forward in the first half we showed some great passing and movement outside of the area and the two finishes were exquisite. I was delighted Anelka scored as his work-rate was second-to-none and is something that a lot of people overlook. Essien was exceptional, Alex played very well also and Malouda did well going forward although he frustrated me when he did not track back to help out Ashley Cole (another good performer). Zhirkov did a lot of hard work but will probably be slated because he didn't go forward enough (like Ballack he is forever damned to be the Chelsea scapegoat), Mikel had a decent match although he looked a little lethargic in possession at times (possibly due to tiredness).

Sturridge again frustrated me with his attempted finish - he's successfully made himself look a right idiot. Just stick a toe out and get your second goal in two Champions League matches, mate. Kakuta was lively but was never going to get much out of a quality defence, so people should judge him more when we play the likes of Zilina at Stamford Bridge. I would have liked to have seen more of McEachran but with a very difficult game on Sunday I'm more than happy that we were able to basically end the game after the half hour mark.

Let's face it, we could have won 6-0 quite easily; Sturridge should have done the normal thing and scored and we hit the woodwork on three occasions.

The fact that Marseille was in complete control and the players just seemed off. We were lucky, imo, that we didn't conceed. I think the players would be more burnt out running after the ball because they didn't have the possession. To be fair, i think we should have made attack better, and that we showed some weakness down the right hand flank no and then and even the right winger had to come all the way back to help defend, making an counter attack even less strong. Like i said, if Zhirkov came off earlier that we would at least have more control in midfeild.

EDIT: Oh and the constant switching off players in positions, imo didn't help either. Malouda in the right wing isn't as strong on his left, and Kakuta in CM isn't as strong either, and also tires them out more.

I am not disagreeing with what your saying. I just believe we did what was needed. The defense looked in control and with a bit more luck we would of won this game 5-0, but the post was in the way of that. Expect to see a lot more counter attacking football. We do it better then any one else at the moment and i think that's what Carlo sent them out to do. I think Carlo was going with a trial with error approach to the game to see how he could change things up for games where they are a lot more important.

At the end of the day 3 points is whats important!

I am not disagreeing with what your saying. I just believe we did what was needed. The defense looked in control and with a bit more luck we would of won this game 5-0, but the post was in the way of that. Expect to see a lot more counter attacking football. We do it better then any one else at the moment and i think that's what Carlo sent them out to do. I think Carlo was going with a trial with error approach to the game to see how he could change things up for games where they are a lot more important.

At the end of the day 3 points is whats important!

I know we cam for three points and we did what was needed to get the result, but i felt personally disappointed by the second half performance after the hype of the first half. We weren't playing our all, and i know that, but there has to be some standard which we can show so that they can say 'they can win this thing'.

All i can say is overall is was decent, and that i hope that we can perform top in the next game. And at least give McEarhan 10 minutes, he is a one of kind, and better to develop sooner then later.