Josh McEachran

Term-X

McEachran's development was ruined by Chelsea after Ancelotti left. He had faith in Josh, he played him and got his rewards, since then it's all been stagnation. He should have left a year or two ago but as things stands he'll probably be jettisoned next year or the year after to a Championship side. He won't make it at Chelsea now, no chance. I fear for Chalobah too, frankly.

McEachran's development was ruined by Chelsea after Ancelotti left. He had faith in Josh, he played him and got his rewards, since then it's all been stagnation. He should have left a year or two ago but as things stands he'll probably be jettisoned next year or the year after to a Championship side. He won't make it at Chelsea now, no chance. I fear for Chalobah too, frankly.

Chelsea didnt fail him ,,, perhaps he was over hyped ,,,but he hasnt grown ,,,

Chelsea didnt fail him ,,, perhaps he was over hyped ,,,but he hasnt grown ,,,

Chelsea are fantastic at developing players right up until the crucial 17-21 phase when they need first team football. It's a phase when you have to take risks if you want rewards down the line, risks which Chelsea, with all the money, are not willing to take. It's not like McEachran was even a liability, he did not look out of place in Champions League games and kept the team ticking over just fine. If managers had shown faith in him he could have been a semi-regular member of the first team by now, instead he's barely progressed in the last two years.

Chelsea are fantastic at developing players right up until the crucial 17-21 phase when they need first team football. It's a phase when you have to take risks if you want rewards down the line, risks which Chelsea, with all the money, are not willing to take. It's not like McEachran was even a liability, he did not look out of place in Champions League games and kept the team ticking over just fine. If managers had shown faith in him he could have been a semi-regular member of the first team by now, instead he's barely progressed in the last two years.

I have given up on seeing anyone come through our academy to become a first team regular..

The thing is, it's not just the problem at Chelsea, it's a serious problem at the top level of football full stop. how many players in say the last 7 years have broke into Chelsea, United, Liverpool or Arsenal first team squad's without a PL or top level loan? Their isn't many. Rodgers used Sterling and Wisdom at the start when the supporters and owners were giving him time, he is expected to deliver this season so Sterling is back on the fringes and Wisdom is on loan to Derby.

Even Ferguson, who's job security was higher than mine on fifa has hesitated blooding young players in the modern era, says a lot about the pressure's at the top level of football, doesn't it?

The thing is, it's not just the problem at Chelsea, it's a serious problem at the top level of football full stop. how many players in say the last 7 years have broke into Chelsea, United, Liverpool or Arsenal first team squad's without a PL or top level loan? Their isn't many. Rodgers used Sterling and Wisdom at the start when the supporters and owners were giving him time, he is expected to deliver this season so Sterling is back on the fringes and Wisdom is on loan to Derby.

Even Ferguson, who's job security was higher than mine on fifa has hesitated blooding young players in the modern era, says a lot about the pressure's at the top level of football, doesn't it?

Yes, its been the same story with the bigger clubs for a while now..no one is willing to take the risk with breaking younger talent into the first team...

Still wish we could buck the trend with Josh...Despite his shortcomings, he does seem to play with more maturity than most players his age.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Was back on the bench yesterday after missing a couple of weeks due to sickness. Very unfortunate as he had just won a place in the starting XI and started a few games on the trot. But the situation at Watford is far from ideal atm. I don't think Zola is going to last there much longer.

Was back on the bench yesterday after missing a couple of weeks due to sickness. Very unfortunate as he had just won a place in the starting XI and started a few games on the trot. But the situation at Watford is far from ideal atm. I don't think Zola is going to last there much longer.

Josh is in a tough spot again, he should be really bossing this league. Look at Kevin, over 10 goals and 10 assists in the Bundesliga and even he can barely get any game time here, imagine someone who's been struggling in the Championship for two seasons.

Josh is in a tough spot again, he should be really bossing this league. Look at Kevin, over 10 goals and 10 assists in the Bundesliga and even he can barely get any game time here, imagine someone who's been struggling in the Championship for two seasons.

The issue is though, that both those loans were wrong for Josh while Kevin's loan was perfect. That's not to deny that Kevin is of course a hundred times more ready to join the first team than Josh is, but I was so excited when he was linked with Soceidad. I felt that was a chance for him to do what Kevin did in the Bundes Liga and what Piazon is now doing at VItesse. He was never going to excel in a physical league like the championship. In fact, he always does much better at a higher level for us.

The issue is though, that both those loans were wrong for Josh while Kevin's loan was perfect. That's not to deny that Kevin is of course a hundred times more ready to join the first team than Josh is, but I was so excited when he was linked with Soceidad. I felt that was a chance for him to do what Kevin did in the Bundes Liga and what Piazon is now doing at VItesse. He was never going to excel in a physical league like the championship. In fact, he always does much better at a higher level for us.

should just loan to a weak spanish side like celta vigo or almeria. or even an adelante team like zaragoza

• 2 weeks later...