New deal for Bruma

- 25 -

From TOCW

FOUR-YEAR DEAL FOR BRUMA

Posted on: Wed 01 Sep 2010

Jeffrey Bruma has signed a new contract that ensures his future is at Chelsea until at least 2014.

The 18-year-old, who has been with the club since 2007, became a professional last summer and has since made his Chelsea first team and Dutch full national team debuts. He was also a major player in the youth team's FA Youth Cup triumph last season.

He has made four substitute appearances for the first team, including one in the Community Shield last month but has since undergone surgery on a hernia.

Speaking to the Official Chelsea Website today having put his signature to the new deal, Bruma was pleased his progress has been recognised.

'I am very happy to stay here,' he said. 'I have been working to improve all the time I have been here and a next step is getting your next contract, and now it is time to improve again.

'I often speak to [assistant first team coach] Paul Clement because when I came over here as a 15-year-old and was in the youth team, he was the youth team manager. We sit down and lay out a sheet of targets. We did this when we were away in the Champions League in Milan last season.

'I have made my international debut already and that was the aim for two or three years' time. It has come so early and when you reach your targets you obviously have to set new ones, so my new targets are to play as much as I can at Chelsea in the first team and get in the Dutch full squad again as soon as I am fit.'

Bruma's first international cap came in a friendly against Ukraine, a game for which The Netherlands rested all their World Cup players. It placed him in direct opposition to Andriy Shevchenko.

His injury means it is unknown whether he would have retained his place in the squad for this week's Euro 2012 qualifiers but he is happy with the way his first taste of the big international scene went.

'I started in the centre of the defence and it was quite a young team but it was a good game. We were 1-0 up until eight minutes to go. Ukraine scored from a free-kick but overall I think we were the better side.

'There were a lot of rumours last season that I might go to the World Cup. I never believed it but I saw it as a complement because it is a sign that you are doing well and people think about you. It was too early as well. They did very well in the World Cup and then one month after the final, I am in the squad and it was worth the wait.'

Bruma is currently working hard on rehabilitation with physio Thierry Laurent and massage therapist Stuart Sullivan, who accompanied the player for his operation with unusual consequences. Read 'Bridge Blog' in the October edition of Chelsea magazine, out tomorrow, for the story.

He is confident he will be fit before for the Carling Cup match against Newcastle on 22 September which looks a good chance for first team action given his involvement in the competition last season.

'The recovery is going pretty well and I have no pain where I had it before. Now it is more muscle stiffness all over the body because your body has to get used to everything again. I don't expect to be out much longer because it is a new kind of surgery. I had one hernia operation in June on the left side and now I have had the right done so I can put it behind me and move on.

'As soon as I am back with the group training I have to show that I am completely fit and show the manager I can do it again.'

blue%20scalf.gif

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe in this young man. If he proves his worth i think he will be the future captain of our team. He is showing promising signs at such a young age and he seems mature enough. Lets hope we have another legend on the way :)

I believe in this young man. If he proves his worth i think he will be the future captain of our team. He is showing promising signs at such a young age and he seems mature enough. Lets hope we have another legend on the way :)

always hoped that conor clifford can do that !!!!

always hoped that conor clifford can do that !!!!

Either way you would have to be happy if one or the other was to take on such a big role at the club. It would say a lot for a club of our standard now days to bring a youth product through to captain us in the future.