Chelsea FC Youth 0 Sheffield Wednesday Youth 0

Chelsea's youths ground out a hard-earned goalless draw at Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday. Dermot Drummy's side were up against a more experienced and bigger Owls side, but battled well to earn a point on a difficult away day.

In the first half, Jamal Blackman pulled off a fantastic save to keep the scores level, palming a long-range effort up and over the bar.

Chelsea's best chance fell to Bobby Devyne, who saw his close-range effort cleared off the line. Philipp Prosenik also had a couple of chances, and towards the end of the game Milan Lalkovic almost converted a fine individual run but shot just wide.

'We had three or four good chances but the best thing was, they were very physical but we matched them mentally, and didn't pull out of any tackles,' said coach Dermot Drummy.

'They were really good the boys, they had to stay switched on. Sheffield Wednesday were very physical and we had to match them for that with a really good team ethic, and that's what we did.'

Chelsea: Jamal Blackman, Toddy Kane, Archange Nkumu, Aziz Deen-Conteh, Ben Sampayo, Anton Rodgers, George Saville, Danny Stenning, Milan Lalkovic, Bobby Devyne, Philipp Prosenik.

Schoolboy Nathaniel Chalobah has represented England Under 17s twice in the last week, first as a 72nd minute substitute in the 2-2 draw with Turkey on Wednesday, and then as a starter in the 4-0 win over Australia on Friday, when he was replaced just before half-time.

Source: Chelsea FC

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was going to start a new topic but here will do, the comment from Dermot Drummy sums up why I don't think he's right for this age group.

'We had three or four good chances but the best thing was, they were very physical but we matched them mentally, and didn't pull out of any tackles,' said coach Dermot Drummy.

The best thing was we all got stuck in? he shouldn't be satisfied at leading the next group of potential pros of the club (4 actual pros) to only handling themselves in a game. I've seen him before shouting and screaming at people who miss tackles and keeping quiet at a quality bit of technique. Needs to get his priorities straight as the kids will still grow in size but not technically if they are busy sliding about on their backsides trying to please the gaffer. With his size he seems that he was the type of player who put himself about but do we want that over technique?

Before people start on about winning the Youth Cup my Nan could have got that squad through so I don't think he can claim to be too much of a master tactician for that. I find it amazing that the club celebrate winning what is basically the FA Cup over the equivalent league record. I know the teams put their best out for the youth cup (apart from L'Arse) but this group is very technical and should be playing around big physical teams.

Esk, sorry to steal this thread for a minor rant but you got any thoughts on Drummy?

Was going to start a new topic but here will do, the comment from Dermot Drummy sums up why I don't think he's right for this age group.

The best thing was we all got stuck in? he shouldn't be satisfied at leading the next group of potential pros of the club (4 actual pros) to only handling themselves in a game. I've seen him before shouting and screaming at people who miss tackles and keeping quiet at a quality bit of technique. Needs to get his priorities straight as the kids will still grow in size but not technically if they are busy sliding about on their backsides trying to please the gaffer. With his size he seems that he was the type of player who put himself about but do we want that over technique?

Before people start on about winning the Youth Cup my Nan could have got that squad through so I don't think he can claim to be too much of a master tactician for that. I find it amazing that the club celebrate winning what is basically the FA Cup over the equivalent league record. I know the teams put their best out for the youth cup (apart from L'Arse) but this group is very technical and should be playing around big physical teams.

Esk, sorry to steal this thread for a minor rant but you got any thoughts on Drummy?

would love to see zola take over the youth team

Dermot is doing a fine enough job for me...he states that he was pleased to see our youth players muscle up to physically stronger opponents and now his coaching skills are being brought into question because of it......i recall Jose saying words to that effect on more than a few occasions,but i don`t recall anyone questioning his coaching skills.

Dermot is doing a fine enough job for me...he states that he was pleased to see our youth players muscle up to physically stronger opponents and now his coaching skills are being brought into question because of it......i recall Jose saying words to that effect on more than a few occasions,but i don`t recall anyone questioning his coaching skills.

Fair comment but Jose was working with the finished articles and class usually shined through in those games, a little bit of quality. Dermot wan't just pleased, he said it was the "best thing". These are the next breed of pros, who should be passing round bigger but technically limited teams. We should not be satisfied with a goalless draw against Sheffield Wednesday. You'll get this happen when you push your bigger, faster players into the ressies, leaving the smaller technical players behind so you should be concentrating on developing this, not trying to match the other team. and how many times do we read "Milan Lalkovic almost converted a fine individual run but shot just wide"? That could be from any game. Technique under pressure is missing and will just get worse as the pressure builds.

It says Wednesday were a more experienced team. We had 4 pros, 3 more second year scholars, Blackman's massive and the 3 other schoolboys have all played up before as well so we shouldn't really use size as an excuse. Anyway wasn't just about this game, I'm just seeing a theme and with this year's Youth squad arguably better we should be retaining the trophy this year so we'll see how that goes.

I had my reservations about Drummy in the past for sure, but i think he is settling into the role much better. He has the teams playing good football and we did well in the league last season as well as the FA Youth Cup. In this game the point that was being made i feel was that Wednesday will have fielded a side that was as old as possible, whereas at Chelsea we are playing with younger players as we have moved a number of eligable players onto the reserves already. Also a lot of clubs still will take the role of picking the bigger physical specimins for their academy's rather than focus on technique. We see it with the first team that you HAVE to be able to deal with a physical match as well as be able to to pass the ball well with good skill, we do not want to be Arsenal who play well but crumble when given a bit of a tough time. At this age level it is even harder if their is an age gap and a physical gap, that closes with time but it is important that the boys are able to cope with a physical game from bigger boys. I can see what Drummy is saying in this game.

But i do take your point in some ways as i was sceptical of Drummy, at the moment though i think he is doing well and developing the boys well enough.

All fair coments, thanks. Just getting an uneasy feeling, don't know why. With regards to last year we lost nearly every away game and won most at home it was strange season. What about this year's Youth Cup team, I'm looking forward to it. We'll miss Bruma and maybe C Clifford and Tore but I think with the boys all a year older, Ince fully fit and Ashton back soon as well it should be even stronger than last years team.

All fair coments, thanks. Just getting an uneasy feeling, don't know why. With regards to last year we lost nearly every away game and won most at home it was strange season. What about this year's Youth Cup team, I'm looking forward to it. We'll miss Bruma and maybe C Clifford and Tore but I think with the boys all a year older, Ince fully fit and Ashton back soon as well it should be even stronger than last years team.

Will certainly still be a strong team, a lot of players still eligable to play, Josh will have a key role in it for sure.

Druumy against Coventry...

'It was a really tough away game,' said youth team manager Dermot Drummy. ''There was a lot of tackles and it wasn't a very flowing game but the boys are competing, so I am pleased with the performance.'

Maybe it's just the opposition sending out bigger lads but I would have expected more considering the team we had out was a lot stronger.

I remember a game against Fulham when they just put out half a team of massive kids just to get a result against Chelsea so I guess it's no surprise.