Hip Hop discussion

Aria

Well to be fair, he did make the bold move of releasing his album on the same day as Kanye :lol:

He held "one-off" listening in sessions. There's an app that you'd download, go to the co-ordinates he posted on Twitter and the app would allow you to stream the album early, but not download it. Obviously, though, there's enough programs that will allow you to use that same technology to download it and distribute it lmao.

As for the album itself.. Considering I wasn't expecting much from it, it had done well as a sophomore album. On a production level, it's not as great as I expected it. You can hear the Jigga & No-ID influence on some of the beats and even Cole's own style but it's not as authentic as GKMC for example.

On a lyrical level, he's done quite well. I found myself vibing out to to Villuminati early on and She Knows had a quite a good feel to it. Obviously the stand out song in that is Let Nas Down and as RapGenius fully understood, he's take on the Big Brother - Kanye West concept and made it work really well. I think this is one of those albums that's gonna take a few loops for me to fully appreciate it.

It's also refreshing to hear female-complementary lyrics.. A kind of 'Pac vibe.

8/10 for me overall.

Edited by LDN Blue

Only clicked on it to hear Lupe's part, but DAMN they all went hard on this. Dope.

If only we got more of this from Rozay and MMG as a whole, oh well. Good music video by the way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=dOvLZ4PTu0I

Yes, 'Let Nas Down' is something special, only Nas could evoke a response like that, a true rappers rapper.

Chaining Day, Trouble, Land Of The Snakes & Runaway just aren't 'hittin' for me. Minus 'Villuminati' (GOAT intro), the album only really starts to 'kick in' at 'Rich Niggaz', *before that it was steady though*. I never expected it to be so nonchalant at times though, Forbidden Fruit being the prime example. Dope nonetheless, but it's that 'tone' which leads people to say the album lacks bangers.

I love this guy. Not special lyrics, not special delivery, not special flow. I don't know what it is. Awful hooks too. But i dunno, I think if he was in the right sort of group of up 'n coming rappers he'd make a bit of noise. I love Youtube rappers. Apart from Dick-Pryde.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIrAvosO11I

Finding and listening to Dutch artists to get me ready for my Amsterdam trip in a few weeks. This guy's decent. Surprised his English is so good. Like flawless.

Only clicked on it to hear Lupe's part, but DAMN they all went hard on this. Dope.

If only we got more of this from Rozay and MMG as a whole, oh well. Good music video by the way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=dOvLZ4PTu0I

A very forced track by Rick Ross. He's come under a lot of scrutiny by a lot of people for his "rape lyrics" of late, so for me he's just recording this to get some of those people back onside - especially be featuring Lupe. Still got no time for Rick Ross, but it's nice to hear he's trying. Even if it is just to appease some people.

The production on 'Blood On The Leaves' is mind blowing. This album is essentially 808's & Heartbreaks on acid, still not sure about it (in it's entirety) but "trash" it certainly isn't. You can't really compare Yeezus with 'Born Sinner', that's a rap album and this is a.. Kanye West album, lmao.

I like it! It's a typical Kanye West project, always pushing the boundaries of production and style. That's what I like about Mr West, he's not afraid of switching up his style and experimenting - It's like 808s and Heartbreak, it takes a couple of listens to actually grasp what he's trying to do. There are some 'meh' tracks that you don't really feel, but there's some great ones on their too, Blood on the Leaves (as Term referred to.)

The production on 'Blood On The Leaves' is mind blowing. This album is essentially 808's & Heartbreaks on acid, still not sure about it (in it's entirety) but "trash" it certainly isn't. You can't really compare Yeezus with 'Born Sinner', that's a rap album and this is a.. Kanye West album, lmao.

You know, I actually agree with that. Kanye is trying too hard to push the boundaries, trying to basically make his own dark niche genre which I'm not feeling at the moment. I'll give it a couple of more listens but it's the worst Kanye album out there in my opinion. Rate all of his other works above this, and I actually personally really enjoyed 808s&HBs but apart from one or two songs on his newest project I genuinely don't "feel" it. Maybe it's a grower but we'll see. Still thoroughly enjoyed Born Sinner over Yeezus and you really can't say you can't compare when both are essentially rap/hip hop artists.

Since Jay's announced his new album this is (sort of) fitting.

She's not exactly a looker, but here's my mum's cousin who doesn't exist with Jay-Z at that party which didn't happen where Jay pissed on my leg which is just a figment of my imagination :Goober::wank2:

I'll try find the picture I took with Jay at the end of the night. I think it's on one of my old phones.

tNLOkSX.jpg

Really into Southern music at the moment. Some current faves:

And I like this one simply for the beat and the Bun B feature. The guy who actually owns this track is quite bad IMO.