The Pub - Discuss Anything

Manuf

Actually,

Racism is just one form of ingroup outgroup psychology. If you put the triggers right anything can be used to divide a group in different 'races'. It is not just the colour of your skin.

Even more so, it is highly unlikely we have evolved psychological mechanisms to be racist because we never 'met' truly other races (which is biological nonsense btw - there is only one race Homo Sapiens) during our pleistocene past when our mental mechanisms got their shape (which they still have now btw)

This is research that kinda shook the whole outlook on racism:

http://www.pnas.org/content/98/26/15387.long

Actually,

Racism is just one form of ingroup outgroup psychology. If you put the triggers right anything can be used to divide a group in different 'races'. It is not just the colour of your skin.

Even more so, it is highly unlikely we have evolved psychological mechanisms to be racist because we never 'met' truly other races (which is biological nonsense btw - there is only one race Homo Sapiens) during our pleistocene past when our mental mechanisms got their shape (which they still have now btw)

This is research that kinda shook the whole outlook on racism:

http://www.pnas.org/content/98/26/15387.long

I don't think race can be erased, even though race has very little impact biologically. It exists "socially" so it "exists"...if that makes sense.

To try to erase race is kind of racist, in the way that it negates people's experiences with their race and their identity, esp. for people of color.

no, but you're acting as if having a fucking black friend means you're not racist.

Well you seem to think I'm racist for some reason. I'm not even going to bother.

Even if you don't nearly everything you've said to me and this is my interpretation feels like you are implying that you think I'm racist.

To try to erase race is kind of racist, in the way that it negates people's experiences with their race and their identity, esp. for people of color.

It always baffles me how social constructionists/postmodernists (your argumentation is one) explain it like this. It is like Baron Von Munchausen who lifts himself up from a swamp by his own beard :Goober:

If I follow your logic: all efforts to fight racism are racist. That is stuff of sophists. I do think Bonilla Silva is one - his claims are always true, no matter what. Hence they are unfalsifiable by nature and mere sophistry.

I do get where you come from though. It is just that if the marker that constitutes your 'race' is no longr relevant for people - racism as we know it will go away. The funny thing is - and this is what that research suggest - is that people are by nature looking for coalitions. So .... we will create other outgroups inevitably.

A true postmodernist would not need any science of course :Goober:

ps: just teasing of course Kieran

It always baffles me how social constructionists/postmodernists (your argumentation is one) explain it like this. It is like Baron Von Munchausen who lifts himself up from a swamp by his own beard :Goober:

If I follow your logic: all efforts to fight racism are racist. That is stuff of sophists. I do think Bonilla Silva is one - his claims are always true, no matter what. Hence they are unfalsifiable by nature and mere sophistry.

I do get where you come from though. It is just that if the marker that constitutes your 'race' is no longr relevant for people - racism as we know it will go away. The funny thing is - and this is what that research suggest - is that people are by nature looking for coalitions. So .... we will create other outgroups inevitably.

A true postmodernist would not need any science of course :Goober:

ps: just teasing of course Kieran

We can't just live in a post-race society when race is still so apparent. Race literally defines so much for so many people, still.

I do finally see races mingle so much because of the way the world is evolving (global, mobility is increasing, internet, ....)

For example : in my family We have white, black, and every possible shade in between. If that is already happening, the trend will inevitably continue.

When that happens, race will become an obselete concept. Mind you, that could take ages.

I hope ....