The Pub - Discuss Anything

Manuf

Canada actually would be perfect because I have close family there which would be nice and the fees are cheaper. But like I said, I really doubt I would get a VISA. My sister, currently doing a Phd in astrophysics in France, applied first to Montreal and got accepted by the university but she could not get the VISA from the Embassy. I don't want to bore you with the issues in the region here but atm being Shiite apparently makes the enemy according to the Canadian embassy..

Toronto and Rambo are obviously the only ones who can answer this, but Canada has a pretty big fame to be the easiest developed country to get a VISA.

They need people willing to go there to have kids...So if you go there with plans to just study there, it might be difficult to get accepted (idk). However, if you want to later work and build a family in Canada, it becomes interesting for the government.

Thanks, that was very helpful! I love countries like Germany and Belgium and I always wanted to live somewhere there. I'm actually right now doing my Master in Science. Here in Lebanon, and most of Europe as I hear, that equates to a Bachelor in Engineering. My Doctor says that because of this I can directly do my Phd when I finish my MS. But I'm not 100% sure and it differs from place to place and it's very confusing :(

No, you can't!

The Masters they call in Lebanon is a simple Bachelor around the world (or Undergrad in USA). Before you can be accepted into the PhD, you must do a Master's Program (or Graduation in USA).

Also, PhD is not the only way to go, you know? Sometimes, a Doctoral Program is better, depending on your goals. It is way less Academical oriented then PhD...

If you dont plan on teaching or whatever, it might be much better!

:)

Look carefully, most PhDs are in English...

There are tons of absolutely incredible Universities in "weird" locations that are cheaper than UK, have better Academic recognition and are 100% in English.

Example? ETH-Zurich and TU-Darmstadt!

I know mate, I but I was talking about outside the uni. I'm going to live in the country and it will be hard if I can't speak the native language, no?

I know mate, I but I was talking about outside the uni. I'm going to live in the country and it will be hard if I can't speak the native language, no?

Yes, is that so wrong?

No, you can't!

The Masters they call in Lebanon is a simple Bachelor around the world (or Undergrad in USA). Before you can be accepted into the PhD, you must do a Master's Program (or Graduation in USA).

Also, PhD is not the only way to go, you know? Sometimes, a Doctoral Program is better, depending on your goals. It is way less Academical oriented then PhD...

If you dont plan on teaching or whatever, it might be much better!

:)

What's the difference? I honestly have no idea because the guidance at my uni is non existent. And yes, I do intend to go on to teach.

What's the difference? I honestly have no idea because the guidance at my uni is non existent. And yes, I do intend to go on to teach.

Both are the "ultimate" level of degree you can get. However, they have different aproaches on how you will learn things...

PhD is an American creation, very academic oriented, way too theoretically to my taste. Very good (the best option) if you want to become an University Professor though.

Doctorate, on the other hand, is much more pratical and focused on real situations. Still very theorical, but way less than PhD.

Nop, not hard, but that's why the UK was on the top of my list.

Sometimes it is good man, it takes us out of our comfort zone! :D

It also doesnt mess up with the degree, since that will be in English anyways...

@CHOULO19,

USA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engineer%27s_degree#United_States

Europe: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engineer%27s_degree#Europe.2C_according_to_the_Bologna_Process

As you can see, Lebanon followed the Bologna Process. However, the top European Universities and alll American Universities continue to use the basic three-way degree (5 year Bachelor, 2 year Master and 1-2 year Doctorate). I really wonder how you can do a PhD in some countries with only 5 years of study, but there must be a reason why they allow it...