The Pub - Discuss Anything

Manuf

Bit off-topic but to you have problems with that in Lebanon?

@Amels, You mean being an atheist?

Well legally atheists don't exist in Lebanon. Every person here has to be registered in a specific religion in the government' s records. When you are born you are registered under the same religion as your parents. When you turn 18 you can change it to one of the 17 sects (not any, some don't allow people to convert to them) but you must always have one of the 17 sects registered as your official religions. I'm registered as Shiite.

In terms of trouble, it can definitely get you killed if you are in certain areas in the country and you were public about it. There are extremists in Lebanon.

Well legally atheists don't exist in Lebanon. Every person here has to be registered in a specific religion in the government' s records. When you are born you are registered under the same religion as your parents. When you turn 18 you can change it to one of the 17 sects (not any, some don't allow people to convert to them) but you must always have one of the 17 sects registered as your official religions. I'm registered as Shiite.

In terms of trouble, it can definitely get you killed if you are in certain areas in the country and you were public about it. There are extremists in Lebanon.

Wow, that sounds pretty fucked up.

In general, atheists aren't very popular in muslim states, as far as I've experienced. In Bosnia, for example, you won't get punished or whatsoever (at least I haven't been so far :ph34r: ) but the people there really don't even want to try to think about why sb doesn't believe in God. I got almost lynched by some family members of mine last summer when I told them what I think of religions etc. :D Funny part about this is that they aren't really religious either, but they believe in God, so that's what they wanna hear.

Tbh, I don't know if it's legal to be atheist in Bosnia, but what you're telling sounds really, really gross compared to the Austrian mentality towards atheism. I'd probably get arrested/killed on the same day I would arrive in Lebanon :lol:

What does your sig means?

The pic is some random pic I've found on the internet, and the quote in the pic is from one of my favourite songs, "Swing Life Away" by Rise Against.

The quote beneath the pic is from a film I watched some weeks ago. There's no real meaning, I just like it :D

Are you collecting as much information about me as possible to find out where I live and rob my house? :ph34r:

Are you collecting as much information about me as possible to find out where I live and rob my house? :ph34r:

Shhh, you wasnt supposed to know!

To be honest, if I ever go to Bosnia I will be looking for the beautiful women you have. Eastern Europe and Russia are a paradise!

17 choices?! Almost too much religious freedom, don't you think? :Goober:

Shhh, you wasnt supposed to know!

To be honest, if I ever go to Bosnia I will be looking for the beautiful women you have. Eastern Europe and Russia are a paradise!

Eastern European girls are an incredible species. Naturally some of the most beautiful women in the world but for me some Brazillian girls are just perfection personified.

Tbh, I don't know if it's legal to be atheist in Bosnia, but what you're telling sounds really, really gross compared to the Austrian mentality towards atheism. I'd probably get arrested/killed on the same day I would arrive in Lebanon

It's not as bad as it sounds. Most people here in Beirut just ignore you if you tell them. In other areas, you just keep it to yourself and your friends. Like everything in life really, you just get used to it.

17 choices?! Almost too much religious freedom, don't you think?

17 fighting sects with prehistoric tribal instincts = fucked up country