The Pub - Discuss Anything

Manuf

Probably.. people love this shit even if they deny it. :P

Hey, I don't deny it. I've said from the start that I'm only disappointed that she's "half" naked! :P

Yep, I saw this video already!

I hate to say, but I completely agree with the video...

I wasn't sure what to make of it, because these kind of videos are often taken out of context and an outsider who's not familiar with the issues can never tell.

I wasn't sure what to make of it, because these kind of videos are often taken out of context and an outsider who's not familiar with the issues can never tell.

The video is very sensationalist, but it doesnt mean it isnt true...

I wasn't sure. That's why I wanted the opinion of a Brazilian about it.

People got very excited when we were elected to host both the Olympics and the World Cup (around 2007-2008), we thought this would finally be the opportunity Brazil needed to give that first step into first-world infra-structure and so on.

However, as the time went by, people realized politicians werent even a tad bit concern about all of that. All they always wanted (despite the endless commercials and propaganda) was to leverage money from the big constructions that surrounds those two events!

Brazil's economy is doing fine and money really isnt the problem right now, but we still have A LOT to improve (especially on public education and heath systems) and since the government failed to meet their bullshit promises about mobility/safety/whatever, people are fucking upset. I mean, we just built a 73k stadium (where there isnt a football team I might add) for 600 million dollars (and it doesnt even look that great, I bet half of that went to somebody's pocket). Well...WTF? Do you know how many world class hospitals or schools we could have built with that much money??? It is insane!

So, there is where the enormous discontentment comes from. Brazil not only missed its chance to take a nice leap forward, but it also missed the chance to invest in the right places. I wouldnt say the protest are against the Wolrd Cup and FIFA per say (like, against the event itself), but more towards how our government treated it and how delusional people started feeling about it. The vast majority of Brazilians would tell you those two events are more of a burden than a gift!

Now...I am of the opinion that protesting hard during the World Cup (like many want to) is not the answer and will do more harm than otherwise. The police and army will do absolutely anything to secure the venues and everything (even if the protests are non-violent) just like they did in the Confederations Cup (which you all saw on the video). They will simply not risk letting the event be cancelled, even if that means some protesters will die in that process. Which sounds crazy and pathetic, but it is true. FIFA and Brazilian State will NEVER allow for it to happen nor will they even bother to listen to people's demand. Although valid, protesting during the event will only make things worse, imo.

We should have protested big in 2011-2012, when we saw the path it was going to take. Now, all it will do is scare the world, be that the tourists who just want to have a good time or future investors...

Hey, I don't deny it. I've said from the start that I'm only disappointed that she's "half" naked! :P

I'd say many of those scenes are not directly related to the World Cup, a lot of them were taken from the protests that happened last year (I recognized videos from that time amongst everything there), which were about the raise in public transportation tickets cost and corrupted politicians. But if I understood correctly, it tries to convey a message that a large number of abuses took place in order for us to host the WC. If that is the case, it is true indeed. They're trying to "clean the house" before the guests come. For that purpose, policemen are being pushed to enter favelas and kill/arrest criminals/drug dealers and in addition, some people are losing or lost theirs homes so that we could build stuff needed for the WC in their place. Sure the government is going to refund those who lost theirs houses, but it usually takes time and they usually pay a lot less than those houses were worth. Besides, they usually do it to poor people, who already got things bad enough. Also, people are upset because all that money could have been better spent as @Rmpr said.

Very powerful anti world cup video that is being shared on social media: http://ful.eco.br/

@Rmpr, @Dion, @Barbara,

I'm dying out of a high fever, I thought I was in a farm this night/morning. My brain is fried, but whatever Rapha says is the truth