Ramires

DavidEU

2 good games now. Not a peep from the doubters

I don't think anyone would say he isn't a decent enough player to look competent, good even, against Boro and West Brom (if we ignore how close we came to conceding against a West Brom team who were pretty toothless).

Or maybe they just focussed more on the performances of Chalobah and Ake in the last week - I find it has a calming effect if you catch yourself thinking about Mikel, Lamps or Ramires.

its laughable that people actually would want Ramires to leave! :banghead:

I don't know if many people want him to leave, but I don't know many who would have him in their first XI for next season and think we could win the league.

As a player who could come off the bench when we're winning in the 70th minute, a bit like Mikel did on Saturday in the 90th, then sure why not. Maybe he even gets starts against the weaker teams, but beyond that I'm not sure.

Honestly, I've already got him pencilled behind Chalobah for a position in the midfield.

I don't know if many people want him to leave, but I don't know many who would have him in their first XI for next season and think we could win the league.

As a player who could come off the bench when we're winning in the 70th minute, a bit like Mikel did on Saturday in the 90th, then sure why not. Maybe he even gets starts against the weaker teams, but beyond that I'm not sure.

Honestly, I've already got him pencilled behind Chalobah for a position in the midfield.

Very fair analysis, but in my opinion a little presumptuous over Nathaniel, who first needs a Premier League loan.

You're right in Ramires should stay - as a valuable squad player in the same category as someone like Salomon Kalou or Ryan Bertrand. His versatility is excellent - he can 'do a job' wide right in a 4-3-3, in either of the pivot positions, and as an emergency right-back should injuries to Ivanovic and Azpi occur.

Players of that versatility are effectively what win you titles, but I agree he isn't a good-enough player to feature in every game. The thing I like about him is his effort and work-rate, but it is his inability to perform basic functions such as incisive short-passing which really devalues him as a midfield player.

He definitely should not leave, though. He'd be a great squad player, just like Anderson is for Manchester United. It is having players like that who can come in and play mid-week games and then be a really strong option off the bench that wins you silverware as much as the goalkeeper or the star striker, in my view. You can't underestimate their importance.

I love Rambo and cannot fault his work-ethic and the fact he can play relatively well moreorless anywhere on a football pitch is a desirable trait. He just doesn't fit the dynamic of our current system well enough; he is like the size 7 shoe for the size 9 foot - a very uncomfortable fit indeed. As I said previously - square pegs and round holes.

I agree with everything you said except for the bit about Chalobah, in a 4-2-3-1 Rami isnt best suited in that system so if we bring in some world class players who can play in the double pivot next season then great, but people saying he should leave because he doesn't suit that system is something i cant get my head around he is such a useful player to have in the squad and still has many years ahead of him where he can improve on his weaknesses.

I don't think anyone would say he isn't a decent enough player to look competent, good even, against Boro and West Brom (if we ignore how close we came to conceding against a West Brom team who were pretty toothless).

Or maybe they just focussed more on the performances of Chalobah and Ake in the last week - I find it has a calming effect if you catch yourself thinking about Mikel, Lamps or Ramires.

He looked better than everyone bar Ake and Oscar against Boro and WBA are a very good team, and he once again had another good game. Had these been two poor performances people would have come on here and slated him straight away, but when he plays well nobody says anything. I'd also like to add although I rate Chalobah, put Ramires in the Championship in that Watford team and he'd look like a world-beater..........

He looked better than everyone bar Ake and Oscar against Boro and WBA are a very good team, and he once again had another good game. Had these been two poor performances people would have come on here and slated him straight away, but when he plays well nobody says anything. I'd also like to add although I rate Chalobah, put Ramires in the Championship in that Watford team and he'd look like a world-beater..........

West Brom are not a very good team, and Clarkey didn't have them put enough pressure on the midfield two (Pulis did the same against us). That is Ramires's level apparently and if we're going to keep him around then we have to keep him as a back-up and look to replace him either from within or in the market.

As for Watford, I think Ramires would probably look okay but I actually rate Chalobah's technical capabilities higher than Ramires. He has a composure that Ramires simply doesn't and you might say that's down to the opposition he faces, but I disagree. He's shown it at every level he's played at. Combine that with his workrate and physical presence and I would be absolutely comfortable with us flogging Ramires and replacing him in the squad/team with Chalobah.

West Brom are not a very good team, and Clarkey didn't have them put enough pressure on the midfield two (Pulis did the same against us). That is Ramires's level apparently and if we're going to keep him around then we have to keep him as a back-up and look to replace him either from within or in the market.

As for Watford, I think Ramires would probably look okay but I actually rate Chalobah's technical capabilities higher than Ramires. He has a composure that Ramires simply doesn't and you might say that's down to the opposition he faces, but I disagree. He's shown it at every level he's played at. Combine that with his workrate and physical presence and I would be absolutely comfortable with us flogging Ramires and replacing him in the squad/team with Chalobah.

Chalobah is a huge prospect. Hopefully our next manager does the right thing in terms of his development... I see him as Chelsea's future captain!

Being 9th in the league proves otherwise and yeah lets forget his motm performances against Arsenal and good performances against the likes of United, Barca, Valencia, Spurs etc and say these past two games show Ramires' level.

Ramires would look just okay in the Championship, despite looking very good at times in the CL and PL? <_< The PL is on another level to the Championship and reserve football, plenty of players who have looked good there haven't succeeded in the PL. Be careful what you wish for

Being 9th in the league proves otherwise and yeah lets forget his motm performances against Arsenal and good performances against the likes of United, Barca, Valencia, Spurs etc and say these past two games show Ramires' level.

Ramires would look just okay in the Championship, despite looking very good at times in the CL and PL? <_< The PL is on another level to the Championship and reserve football, plenty of players who have looked good there haven't succeeded in the PL. Be careful what you wish for

I haven't forgotten any of those performances and I've explained that he does well when we're under pressure and exploit teams on the break but I don't think you can win consistently using that tactic. If we want someone who can dictate the tempo then I really don't think Ramires is the man for us.

At least two of those games came with him playing on the wing as well. I don't see a future Chelsea team with him as a winger and if I did then I'd get comfortable with the Europa League because that would be our level.

What I wish for is for Chalobah to be given the chance because I truly believe he's a better footballer than Ramires. I think he's better technically, I think he has a composure and maturity that Ramires could only dream about and I think the sooner he's in the middle of the park for us the better. Ramires has a great engine and works hard which is why he'll always be loved by the fans, but I'd rather have a player who can move the ball around well and make the other team run around like headless chickens.

I haven't forgotten any of those performances and I've explained that he does well when we're under pressure and exploit teams on the break but I don't think you can win consistently using that tactic. If we want someone who can dictate the tempo then I really don't think Ramires is the man for us.

At least two of those games came with him playing on the wing as well. I don't see a future Chelsea team with him as a winger and if I did then I'd get comfortable with the Europa League because that would be our level.

What I wish for is for Chalobah to be given the chance because I truly believe he's a better footballer than Ramires. I think he's better technically, I think he has a composure and maturity that Ramires could only dream about and I think the sooner he's in the middle of the park for us the better. Ramires has a great engine and works hard which is why he'll always be loved by the fans, but I'd rather have a player who can move the ball around well and make the other team run around like headless chickens.

He is at his 100% best in those circumstances, but he's is still very much an asset even when we look to play on the front front. We were top of the league and dominating teams at the start of the season with Ramires in our starting team and in the games against United, Spurs and Arsenal Ramires was one of of our best players when we were playing on the front foot. Of course your not going to use Ramires to dictate tempo, his job is to be that ball winning midfielder like Khedira does for Madrid so that we can recover possession and let the three Attacking midfielders work their magic. If you want him to dictate things then your always going to be disappointed.

I'd also want a player like that, but I also want someone who's not afraid to get stuck in, do the dirty work for the team and helps us get the ball back so we can keep possession. Need both for different circumstances

Everyone's allowed their opinion, but it tickles me when he takes a defender on and he just glides past them. Touch under pressure could be better at times and doesn't mark as well as he could but he's a decent finisher and never stops runnings. Ever. He and Mikel are both 25. Give em some time to gel together and watch em grow.

And that's all fine and well in a 4-3-3 with a defensive midfielder behind you. In a 4-2-3-1 it isn't simple.

Ramires is a great squad player. Can do a job at RM, RB, CM and CDM if necessary. But we have players better than him for each of those positions, IMO.