Ramires

DavidEU

This season Ramires back to his best again, like in 2012. Good to see that.

to be honest playing his main role - a midfielder - he was quite poor at extensive streaks yesterday. His passing was on and off, his tackling was off, he was dispossessed and failed to press and mark on numerous occasions...

He was good in the attack, but in his main job he was average at best, but mostly poor. But you can't blame him alone, it's a three-man midfield and the other two were average as well, and Matic was even worse than Rami in the first...

I think all of central midfielders yesterday, him, Matic and even Cesc, were rather poor off the ball. The pressing was not coordinated and organized which left massive gaps in our defense which wasn't helped at all by all 3 of them making wrong positional decisions.

It's still early days, but our pressing in this new 4-3-3 has been very dodgy so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Like Barbara said,he was just brilliant.I think that he has to be a starter in the big matches because he gives us more defensive stability,while he also offers us so much offensive power.His pace and his 1 on 1 against goalkeepers is just incredible.So that would be my formation for City

Hazard------Lord Costa-------Oscar

--------Fabrepass----Ramires

---------------Matic

Azpi---Terry-Cahill---Superbran

------------Courtois

First in his thread after the match :D

I think he was amazing today - fixed the defensive issues from last match, took our midfield to a new level, gave us stability, played well in the attack, was very good passing, tackling, pressing. He was really one of our best players in the field (Hazard and Costa were out of this world and I think Cesc did very well too, but other than that, I think Ramires was the next in the MOTM pick).

And it's interesting to see how he fitted in, he wasn't playing as deep as I expected he would when Mourinho brought him. It was a 4-3-3 imo with him and Cesc alternating the highest position, which was a welcoming and nice surprise. Not only he did well in the attack with his passing and pressing, but he also did well defensively tackling, pressing and filling spaces. I believe we had already turned the match around when he came in - Hazard did that - but still he made our midfield look much better.

Everybody here knows I'm a defender of us playing 4-3-3 and today's match just proved it further for me, but while I've always thought Ramires would be an option, not a constant, I might have been wrong. It's too early to tell, but I do think he keeps it up and if he does, he's a nailed starter, regardless of the opposition, regardless if replacing Oscar or Schurrle. I just don't think he should replace Cesc. They should play together.

There is only one guy who can replace Cesc ,, The guy from Nazareth who changed water into wine

When you take away the offensive/creative responsibilities he had on his shoulders last season, Rambo is given a little more freedom to roam and he looks a player again. For me, he changed the game yesterday, and gave us some impressive balance. He's always a willing runner and on the evidence of his last two performances he deserves to start. Whether that's in place of Schurrle, I don't know, but he looks like the player he was in 2012 again right now.

I liked our midfield in the second half. Matic-Fabregas-Ramires seems to be our best midfield provided Ramires shows some restraint and holds back to help out Matic in defence when needed and let Cesc go forward to link up with Eden and Oscar/Willian.