Ramires

DavidEU

Took his goal brilliantly which is strange because it was a difficult chance to take. As said he struggles with the basics and I just hope he gets those right this season, another player who needs to step it up this season because I personally think it's make or break for him.

I don't think it's make or break for him.

The only way I see him leaving Chelsea is if we sign a player like Pogba

I don't think it's make or break for him.

The only way I see him leaving Chelsea is if we sign a player like Pogba

Agreed - I think we all just want some consistency from him - nobody can question his work rate - just his decisions and Paul Scholes tackles ;) earning needless yellows :(

Its clear: for Mourinho Chelsea is Ramires +10.

I dont really know how one cannot see/understand this....

Which is how I dont really understand why everyone took rambo out of their predicted lineups for 2014.

Which is why I said Rambo is the first person on the teamsheet for jose everyday and all day.

Another brilliant assist from Rami, as he slowly makes his way back to the starting 11...

His critics are going to have hard time stomaching this...

To be fair - the Ramires we are seeing now is different to the Ramires that finished last season... Or the Ramires that played on the RW.

He is an incredibly useful player when used correctly. I wouldn't want to rely on him every game - but he can and will do a job this season. :)

Which is how I dont really understand why everyone took rambo out of their predicted lineups for 2014.

Which is why I said Rambo is the first person on the teamsheet for jose everyday and all day.

I'm not so sure - it will be Matic / Fabregas in majority of games IMHO

I think Ramires will be used selectively or as a sub to alter games... Just my opinion though and I don't care either way as long as win ;)

No he is not. He will start a lot games. He is not the first name on the teamsheet. When we play 4-3-3 he probably will start a lot. When we have games against the bigger teams he probably will start for tactical reasons but he will be a sub a few times as well. For instance when we play Leicester at home I would expect Jose to go something similar to:

Fabregas-Matic

Willian Oscar Hazard

Costa

You get the picture. I assume from the CM to strikers position the oly guaranteed starters are Fabregas, Matic, Costa and Hazard. Willian and Oscar are not certain starters but it is just an example of how we may line up when we don't need Ramires. Ramires is a very useful squad player but we don't need him in every game. Especially now that we have Fabregas.

I don't get how you think he is a certain starter. He has certain qualities but we don't necessarily need him for games where teams are not really going to attack us.

Are people basing the idea that Ramires is going to feature in most matches because of this friendly? honest question.

Neither Azpili nor Luís started and Iva was in the RB... Also I doubt we'll feature a 4-2-3-1 with Ramires as one of the AMs in the majority of the matches. He can play a role and he does it well in big matches when played in the position. I think he's good playing as the second midfielder in a 4-3-3 (don't like him as first or third though, although he doesn't compromise technically as first). He was good today, he has been good in many matches for us, but let's not forget this was Real Sociedad... they weren't impressive marking, they had ups and down pressing and they weren't as physical as teams will be in EPL. When all those things happen - and they happen quite often in England - Ramires misplaces more passes and his shortcomings are more visible.

Last season he was useful and good for us in big matches because we gave the ball to the opposition. He's much better off the ball than on the ball. He can pick a pass, the same way he can score a wonderful goal. The problem is the occurrence of those two things.

I value him in the squad, but that's where I think he's worth, in the squad, not in the first team for the majority of matches, let alone for all matches.

What Mourinho thinks or does, I don't know. But as unimpressive as Willian or Oscar have been creatively, I'd rather play them than Ramires in the wings, especially if Schurrle plays. Schurrle has the pace Ramires has (not saying literally) and decent work-rate and he has many things Ramires doesn't. If we're taking the route I think we are, we'll be much less defensive oriented this season. We'll go back to plan Mourinho had up to December last season and in that plan Ramires is needed in the lineup in some specific situations, not in a daily basis.

We keep hearing the same thing about Ramires being undroppable under Jose. What is this based on? If Vidal Pogba or someone come next year he will be right down the pecking order.

People are missing the plot with Ramires in all honesty. We used to have Mikel, aging (and many times injured) Lamps, improvised David Luiz and Ramires as pivot options. It's no wonder he was a nailed starter then. It's not wonder we've spend literally seasons complaining about our pivot.

But then they think Mourinho is stupid enough to bring improvement and still keep Ramires as the first name in his lineup (as if he ever was). We finally have top class #6 and #8 people want Ramires to still start and they assume Mourinho will want that too. If that's the case why did we sign Matic and Cesc? If Mourinho was so happy with Ramires, there's no reason to bring those two guys. I'm not saying Ramires won't play an important role. He will start some profile of matches, whether it's a 4-2-3-1 replacing Cesc or in a 4-3-3 moving Oscar to the bench. He will come as a sub in many other matches, but this 'first name in the team sheet' BS is hard to understand now that we have nearly world-class players in the two positions Ramires plays the most. Our wingers options are also better than him, but he offers the athletic aspect Mourinho loves and until the team is there, Ramires will have an important role. The day this is a well oiled machine, his role in the team will be more and more secondary because by then we won't be the team 'scared' of facing stronger or more dangerous sides. We'll be the stronger, more dangerous side ourselves and that's when Ramires becomes much less important, but as of now, he's still important, but I'm willing to bet he won't start as many matches as he did in the past. It would make our improvements in the pivot null and void...