test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jim

Celestine Babayaro

Started by Jim,

celestine_babayaro.gif

Babayaro began his playing career at Nigerian side Plateau United, before moving to Belgium giants R.S.C. Anderlecht in 1994, and eventually would make a name for himself, quickly gaining first-choice status although still a teenager.

Babayaro was signed by Chelsea F.C. in April 1997 for £2.25m million - a club record paid for a teenager at the time.[citation needed] During his time there, the team won the FA Cup and Charity Shield in 2000, and reached the FA Cup finals in 2002. He faced competition from Graeme Le Saux during his seven-year spell, but managed to play over 200 games for the London side. His acrobatic celebrations with backflips were a highlight and loved by the Stamford Bridge faithfuls.

The steady form of Wayne Bridge saw Babayaro start only four English Premier League games for Chelsea in 2004-05 under new manager Jose Mourinho - their Premiership winning year.

remember the first time he scored ,,did his double back flick celebration and was injured for weeks ..

was player of the year in Belgium when he was SIXTEEN

Jesus.. There's a name for sore eyes.. I still remember that defence

.....................................Cudicini.............................

Melchiot............Desailly©........Terry.......Babayaro

That's one hell of a sexy defence! wub.gif

Those were the days when big Marcel was JT's mentor :blush:

Those were the days when big Marcel was JT's mentor :blush:

Looking back on then, whoever thought our fortunes would change so sharply? It makes me so proud of how we, went from this small club over shadowed by Arsenal, Tottenham and even Fulham to, become one of the most feared clubs in Europe!

I used to love Celestine Babayaro as a kid, I play as a LB aswell and I modelled myself on him and Sauxy!

Is he still playing? The last I heard was he had signed for LA Galaxy, played 1 game and was released!!

Just Wikipedia'd it, he was offered a trial by Portmouth 2 summers ago but didnt manage to get a contract, and is he now currently on trial for a Norweigian team called Mya.