Celestine Babayaro

James

celestine_babayaro.gif

Babayaro began his playing career at Nigerian side Plateau United, before moving to Belgium giants R.S.C. Anderlecht in 1994, and eventually would make a name for himself, quickly gaining first-choice status although still a teenager.

Babayaro was signed by Chelsea F.C. in April 1997 for £2.25m million - a club record paid for a teenager at the time.[citation needed] During his time there, the team won the FA Cup and Charity Shield in 2000, and reached the FA Cup finals in 2002. He faced competition from Graeme Le Saux during his seven-year spell, but managed to play over 200 games for the London side. His acrobatic celebrations with backflips were a highlight and loved by the Stamford Bridge faithfuls.

The steady form of Wayne Bridge saw Babayaro start only four English Premier League games for Chelsea in 2004-05 under new manager Jose Mourinho - their Premiership winning year.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesus.. There's a name for sore eyes.. I still remember that defence

.....................................Cudicini.............................

Melchiot............Desailly©........Terry.......Babayaro

That's one hell of a sexy defence! wub.gif

Jesus.. There's a name for sore eyes.. I still remember that defence

.....................................Cudicini.............................

Melchiot............Desailly©........Terry.......Babayaro

Those were the days when big Marcel was JT's mentor :blush:

Those were the days when big Marcel was JT's mentor :blush:

Looking back on then, whoever thought our fortunes would change so sharply? It makes me so proud of how we, went from this small club over shadowed by Arsenal, Tottenham and even Fulham to, become one of the most feared clubs in Europe!

I used to love Celestine Babayaro as a kid, I play as a LB aswell and I modelled myself on him and Sauxy!

Is he still playing? The last I heard was he had signed for LA Galaxy, played 1 game and was released!!