Yossi Benayoun

Milan

I doubt that if Kakuta stayed at the club that Sturridge, Meireles, De Bruyne or Piazon would be ahead of him. 8th choice winger? Christ. Benayoun and Malouda are debatable as well. My initial suggestion was that if we sold the likes Malouda and Benayoun, Kakuta would be more than good enough to fill in that squad hole.

You think that it's debatable that Benayoun and Malouda would be ahead Kakuta? You think Kakuta would be ahead of Sturridge and Meireles? Nobody is writing the lad off, but he has done nothing in his career yet. All the players you mention are internationals with a history of success in the Premiership.. Kakuta just played 14 games for a team that got relegated in France and you're treating him like a bona fide superstar. This is not a debate about potential or ability, it's about where players are in their careers. Kakuta has done nothing in his career as of yet. Even if Benayoun and Malouda get sold, there is no hole at winger.

As for Borini, you are picking and choosing. Chelsea have signed and let go a lot of players and very few have ever done anything: Ben Sahar, Jimmy Smith, Shaun Cummings, Fabio Ferriera, Lee Sawyer, Sergio Tejera, Carl Magnay, Liam Bridcutt, Ben Gordon, etc...It's almost an endless list. You have two choices as a club. Either you give young players plenty of opportunity to succeed and you lose a lot of games because they are not very good, or you send the youth out on loans and let them succeed or fail elsewhere and once every decade, you miss out on a good player.

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

benayoun is a good midfielder to have in the squad. he links up the mid and the attack brilliantly and it was painfully obvious through out the season that chelsea have a one dimensional attack - dump it long from the CB's or the Fullbacks. even when Mata got the ball in the space between the opposition defence and midfield, he did not have enough options to use. Kalou is hardly the player you would spread the ball to on the wings and drogba was usually marked by opposition defenders. lampard and mikel rarely involved themselves in attack. maybe ramires was the only option that would be open to him often and that has to change next season

i say move ramires to the double pivot rather than have him on the bench behind hulk. ramires will give us a lot more going forward than mikel but at the same time is not a defensive liability. and the attack will be much better when mata has hazard, hulk, ramires and torres as options to look to next season

where does yossi fit in all this? benayoun is the perfect backup to mata. mata, as we know, can't be asked to play 50 games in a season. he's no ramires.

and whenever mata sat out last season (arsenal, newc, liverpool), we were clueless in attack. so, we need a good rotation option to mata in case he is injured/suspended/rested and i can't think of a better option than benayoun. he is good, underrated and would agree to 20-30 games in a season, something similar to the season he had at arsenal.

de bruyne and marin will be viable options but banking on them to come good instantly is insane. new signings need time to adapt and i think benayoun should be kept around atleast until de bruyne is settled here.

• 3 weeks later...

Keep him for one year, there aren't a lot of old, experienced players who would cope with being just squad players. Benayoun is decent backup - creative and experienced player, who has great understanding with Torres and doesn't cause troubles, if he doesn't player regularly... One year isn't a lot you know...

I'd rather give Kevin or Gael a chance than a player who has no future here and has "implied" on a couple of occasions that he does not want to play here anymore. The man sung "You'll never walk alone" in the Chelsea dressing room ffs! :banghead:

I was (obviously) joking about the song. What I meant by "implied on a couple of occasions that he does not want to play here anymore" is that he dismissed questions about his future at Chelsea more than once in interviews.

I know you don't think too highly of Gael, but (with all due respect) we can't just take your word for it. He has impressed in France, I think he has earned a chance here and same goes for De Bruyne.

I though he was a brilliant signing for two different reasons:

He's versatile and more important of all, mentally able to play a part-role at Chelsea. We have the 11 players on one game but we haven't enough bench depth for almost 5 years, that's why we're overally poor on a complete season considering what the guys can do on one game. There's not a lot of players who can accept a part time role and be ready when they are called. We've Paulo Ferreira.

At Liverpool Benayoun was one of the best performers in 2009/2010 even with Benitez not regarding him as a starter and dropping him often 2, 3 games in a row. It shows how strong he's mentally

I though he was an intelligent signing as well, he provided something really different and interesting. I mean every team has it's key players, the one regarded as the playmaker or the depositary of the play and that it's not common to replace him at the end of the games without lossing in terms of influence and style of play. I used to think what Benayoun can provide when coming on as a substitute was interesting because he did bring simplicity and made the difference with his through deliveries. Keeping a link between midfield and attack as well

I really won't mind if we cut short 15mn of every Mata game to play Benayoun, Mata would be easily rested whereas the team would keep being threatening the opponent.

Suppose he does offer the chance to rest Mata but I meant more that we had signed him a few years too late. Maybe if we got him 3-4 years ago he would of been much more useful.

Never though Benayoun was a signing we needed, best he moves on.

I thought we actually did need the signing but then he got hurt and missed the year and then AVB wanted Meireles instead so we got Meireles and then we didn't need Benayoun. He's an absolutely fine squad player-can come off the bench and make an impact and start occasionally but we are kind of full at midfield at the moment so unless Chelsea sell someone else, don't see any room for Benayoun.