Underground Thread

This month I will be giving a spotlight on the emerging talent on the underground scene of rap/hip-hop (the stuff that you won't see in the charts or on MTV).

Today I'll start with one of the notable names in the game today, Immortal Technique.

9h1k36dj.jpg

"Felipe Andres Coronel, better known by the stage name Immortal Technique, is a Peruvian American rapper and political activist. He was born in Lima, Peru and raised in Harlem, New York. Most of his lyrics focus on controversial issues in global politics. The views expressed in his lyrics are largely a mixture of commentary on issues such as class hierarchy, poverty, religion and racism."

Some of his best songs you should all check out, and listen carefully to are..

Edited by LDN Blue

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lowkey

My next feature is on rising UK underground star, Lowkey.

366644.jpg

Kareem Dennis, better known as Lowkey, is a UK born rapper with Iraqi decent. Unlike most UK artists, he focuses on the more important issues in the world like, racism, war, revolution and globalisation. For me it was his collaboration with Immortal Technique that got me interested but he many other tracks I love

Long Live Palestine is a very popular track with his followers

R.A. The Rugged Man

Perhaps one of the least known names, even on the underground scene is R.A. The Rugged man or, by his real name, R.A. Thorburn.

CrustifiedDibbs.jpg

His upbringing is quite unique compared to most rappers. His dad Staff Sgt. John A. Thorburn was an American soldier who fought in Vietnam was infected with the deadly chemical Agent Orange. It had a big impact on him, his kids were affected by it. He had 6 children, 2 of them died because of the deadly agent.

He puts his story into one of his best songs ever. He teams up with the legendary, Jedi Mind Tricks to produced it.. Here's his verse:

Slaughterhouse

Slaughterhouse are a group of 4 rappers who individually had not achieved much to be recognised. However, once they all formed one group, everyone (in the underground community) remembered their name.

00-slaughterhouse-slaughterhouse-20.jpg

The group consists of artists, Joe Budden, Crooked I, Joell Ortiz and Royce Da 5'9. They one have one album out, but my god, what an album it was. It was self-titled (named, Slaughterhouse), it dropped in 2009 and blew away and critics these 4 had individually. In my opinion it was the best hip-hop album of 2009 (though many will disagree). You may see them more commercially now, it's been rumoured Eminem has signed them to Shady Records.. Obviously D12 (who are rubbish without Em & Proof [R.I.P]) don't like them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-rtH6ZyBF4

I wouldn't really call SH "underground", they're buzz has been huge since they formed and they're about to sign on with Shady. But none the less Joe Budden > *.

I wouldn't really call SH "underground", they're buzz has been huge since they formed and they're about to sign on with Shady. But none the less Joe Budden > *.

Yeah just thought I'd give them an honorary mention though. Hopefully signing with Shady Records won't ruin their content.