The 'What Song Are You Listening To Now' Thread

BlueLion.

22 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Had that album -haven't heard it for ages.

Talking of David Byrne -not sure if you ever heard/remember this -real exorcism going on

Another cracker mate. Whole album.

Heres my latest upload on my channel. Rare as hens teeth.

Notice the opening!!

14 hours ago, Unionjack said:

The Oz  answer to punks and skins.

Great seeing how other cultures take summet and alter it to suit.

Well dodgy dancers tho and had mohicans long before the UK punks

The Saints - Stranded (1976)

great Aussie early  punk band

2 minutes ago, Vesper said:

The Saints - Stranded (1976)

great Aussie early  punk band

Looks a LITTLE like the Roller Skate Punk in the Warriors

5c22144995ff5_Rollerskatepunk.jpg.c6bb84b7c23abd151a2655b3d3a1da9a.jpg

Off the Excellent Rubber Soul this was the very start of when they began their love and Peace psychodelic era.. They first got into speed doing bene inhalers 

5c221e6cdecb9_BenzedrineInhale2rsmall.png.6a341f0c1bfd35c782773d8cac41f692.png

like a lot of the 60s Soul boys started off doing. Breaking it open and soaking it in a glass of coke cause it tasted disgusting. Then when they got to Germany hit the preludin,dexys and blues (purple hearts - Drynamil) But it was in 65 when they met Bobby Zinnerman and turned them onto some weed that finally opened their minds. This was written straight afrter.

The stuff we play at the Northern Soul / Rare Soul all nighters mowadays is pretty varied. We play everything from 60's R&B, 60s/70s funk,Mod,sweet soul,Popcorn to Psyche. But of course there needs to be a danceable groove to it.

Hers just an example to show the diversity.- All from my collection and rare as unicorn poo!

• 2 weeks later...

Skweee Tooth 

Compilation (2009)

One of my very favourite micro-genres of music.............. proto skweee was started in late late 2004 (I posted the first ever record below at bottom), the whole thing peaked 2008 to 2011 or 2012, pretty much dead by 2015

Stockholm and Helsinki were the epicentres by far.

This is one of the more famous comps. I include some info links below as well. I have probably 90% of all skweee ever put out, probably missing some of the last gasp stuffs from outside the Nordic area.

Skweee is a musical style, with origin in Sweden and Finland. Skweee combines simple synth/chiptune leads and basslines with funk, R&B or soul-like rhythms, overall rendering a stripped-down funky sound. The tracks are predominantly instrumental, though there are exceptions. The name Skweee was coined by Daniel Savio, one of the originators of the emerging sound. The name refers to the use of analog synthesizers in the production process, where the aim is to "squeeze out" the most interesting sounds possible.

Genre:
Electronic
Style:
Skweee
Year:

Easy & Center Of The Universe    Legend Of Selda    
Joxaren    Fel I Facit    
Mesak    Moto-Gucci    
Rigas Den Andre    Distrordelle    
Spartan Lover    Sex With A Woman    
Melkeveien ft. Sagtann    Melkeveien    
Daniel Savio    Tough Guy Music    
Beatbully    Rek Johnny Rek    
V.C.    KOR For Life    
Wankers United    La Moulette Enchantée    
Mrs Qeada*    Liikutuksia    
Limonious    Frisco Bum    
Slow Hand Motëm    Idea    

R-1792396-1243630557.jpeg.jpgR-1792396-1243630562.jpeg.jpg

Pavan ‎– Punt Kick / Crank Up (literally the first skweee record, before it was even called skweee)
Label: Flogsta Danshall ‎– 1
Format: Vinyl, 7", 45 RPM 
Released: Dec 2004
Genre: Electronic
Style: Experimental, Skweee

R-682098-1372880453-1340.jpeg.jpg

He Called It Skweee

https://skweee.com/he-called-it-skweee/

Our first post of 2009, which genre founder Pavan has boldly predicted will be The Year of the Skweee, is fittingly an interview with the man who coined the name “skweee”. Sweden’s Kool DJ Dust a.k.a. Daniel Savio was the first skweee DJ and its second producer. Like many of the style’s pioneers he had already carved a musical niche for himself when in 2006 he was captured by the vision of Pavan to chart a new direction and sound.

Skweeelicious: Let’s begin with your pre-skweee days. What sorts of music were you producing and DJing?

Daniel Savio: I have been DJing since the mid-nineties and buying records since my early childhood. It all goes back to my love for hip hop music and culture. Graffiti was my main thing but I also had some attempts to rap and dance (crazy fake breaking). So hip hop I would say is my main influence and when I started DJing it was all about hip hop. But early on I was curious about the old school breaks/originals/samples so from that I got into funk, soul, disco, rock and of course the early electro stuff like Kraftwerk and Arthur Baker, Paul Hardcastle, etc, etc.

On the production tip I bought an ASR10 on my 18th birthday and started sampling loops and stuff. I’ve always been heavy into crate digging. I had a Fostex 4-track and recorded some raps. Later on me and my friend Mighty Thor (Drumcode etc) who was very much into house and techno started to DJ together at a local joint. I discovered that much of his house stuff was based on old rhythms and grooves from the disco stuff I had, and he opened my eyes to “contemporary dance music” which I understood in a deeper meaning was an extension of hip hop music. So with the understanding that house and techno was in fact hip hop, me and Mighty Thor started making music together. We did a white label 12 inch in ’99 and later went on to form the trio Hundarna Fran Soder releasing two albums (one of which received a Grammy in 2004) and some EP’s and 12’s until 2006.

S: I’ve heard a couple of your pre-skweee productions and it seems the seeds of skweee were there. It was kind of neo-soul, downtempo, hip-hopish.

D: Thank you! Skweee comes natural for me, ha ha. Most of the stuff I have produced outside Hundarna Fran Soder has been sample-based beats stuff.

S: Is it true you coined the term skweee? How did it come about?

D: Yes, I came up with the name and to some extent also the definition. Pavan, who always had a somewhat quirky style that was hard to pin down, started the whole thing when he did the first Flogsta 45. He didn´t have a name for it or a definition. I feel that he himself didn’t realize how unique his style really was and I felt that he had something really big going for himself. We had a dialogue about it and started to debate whether it was a new style and what to call it.

I had just gotten a new synthesizer, the Roland Alpha Juno1 and fell in love with it. My idea was to make a couple of tracks using nothing but the Juno for drums and everything. I came up with the name, (I originally spelled it squee) while trying to squeeze the juice out of my Juno till the last drop. That was my first 7 inch for Flogsta Danshall and the first tracks I did using the skweee formula – “Bubble Bump” and “Yu Love Bibimbab” at 106 bpm.

Pavan wanted to call it “prim” (primitive), but Randy Barracuda recognized that my name was stronger. So there was skweee. After that me and Pavan went to Helsinki to play at a party and hang out with Randy and Mesak and a bunch of other funky Finns.

S: There is a DJ Dust mix kicking around the internet called Skweee Mix 1. Obviously it’s from the early days of skweee when there were only a few producers and really only a handful of tracks. When was it done and what is the story on that?

D: I don’t remember exactly when I recorded it but it was for a Swedish magazine. They didn’t understand anything and sort of dissed the whole thing which is why I don’t mention those non-believers.

S: Is there a story behind your anthem “We Call It Skweee”?

D: I had been making skweee for a while and everything was sort of on and popping and bubbling, like it still feels, and Harmönia was compiling their second 12 inch release. So I decided to make a track dedicated to this “brand new funky sound… we call skweee”. And since I baptized the funk I thought it would be up to me to hold the sermon too.

S: Skweee is still a relatively small scene but in a couple of years it went from zero to several showcases at international festivals. How has it been for you being part of the evolution of a new style of music?

D: It’s been great but unfortunately I hadn’t had a chance to enjoy some of it cause I didn’t have any way of performing live until quite recently. And also I feel I have been a bit slept on for some reason. In 2009 there wont be any time for sleeping though, it will be all about skweeeing and since my album will be out, hopefully I wont be forgotten.

S: Tell us about the Daniel Savio LP. How many tracks will it be? What format? All skweee or a mix of styles?

D: Oh, yes! Its called “Dirty Bomb” and its a 10 song all skweee album (the world’s first) on vinyl. So its a dream come true for me. It will be out in early 2009, February/March. I have been working on it for a couple of years.

snip

a great cut from that Daniel Savio Dirty Bomb album

Daniel Savio: Monkey Pee Monkey Poo

Somewhere: Nordic Skweee

https://www.xlr8r.com/features/somewhere-nordic-skweee

59 minutes ago, Vesper said:

Somewhere: Nordic Skweee

Interesting.

I see its been going on 10 years

Soi is there a Skweee scene? Dress style? Dance? Drug use etc?

Bit poppy.

That last vid could be me. Just got a new navy/white Tacchini track suit and matching polo with new adidas for Xmas! Very sharp!

24 minutes ago, Unionjack said:

Interesting.

I see its been going on 10 years

Soi is there a Skweee scene? Dress style? Dance? Drug use etc?

Bit poppy.

That last vid could be me. Just got a new navy/white Tacchini track suit and matching polo with new adidas for Xmas! Very sharp!

It started around 14 years ago, just a few records, by 2006, 2007 there were a few tiny club nights, then it got hot in 2008 to around 2012, and died out

No real set style, fashionwise, same amount of drugs as any other electronica I suppose

I guess style maybe would be scandi-street

for awhile some blogs and zines were calling it Scandinavian Conflict R n' B

Inside Skweee

The strange world of Scandinavian R'n'B
CLASH MUSIC 
 16 · 09 · 2008

wicked early, early comp

Harmönia Presents: Skandinavian Skweee Vol. 1

Label:
Harmönia ‎– HRMN-3
Format:
Vinyl, LP, Compilation 
Finland
Released:
Genre:
Electronic
Style:
Skweee

R-973984-1265074833.jpeg.jpgR-973984-1265074828.jpeg.jpg

dødpop Vol.1

dødpop vol. 1 is a compilation album released by dødpop. It was the first Norwegian skweee record ever to be released. The album features appearances from skweee pioneers like Beatbully, Melkeveien, Daniel Savio, Spartan Lover, Sprutbass, V.C., among others.

Label:
Dødpop ‎– Dødpop06
Format:
CD, Compilation 
Norway
Released:
Sep 2009
Genre:
Electronic, Hip Hop
Style:
Skweee
R-2381576-1280728495.jpeg.jpg