The 'What Song Are You Listening To Now' Thread

BlueLion.

Art Ensemble of Chicago With Fontella Bass - Thème De Yoyo (Paris 1970)

Art Ensemble Of Chicago* ‎– Bande Sonore Originale Du Film "Les Stances À Sophie"
Label:
Pathé ‎– 2C 062-11365, Pathé ‎– 2C 062-11.365
Format:
Vinyl, LP, Album 
France
Released:
Style:
Free Jazz, Jazz-Funk, Contemporary Jazz

R-1642251-1505484058-3770.jpeg.jpgR-1642251-1505484100-5359.jpeg.jpg

On 8/24/2018 at 0:56 AM, Unionjack said:

You're really into your punkish stuff aren't you.

I liked the mid 70s stuff till '80 or so but I find all this Oi and thrash/black metal all sounds the same. But mind you so does most C+W and Heavy Metal. But I'll listen to owt someone says you gotta hear this.

Been in a Floyd mood this afternoon

My man UJ, if you like Pink Floyd, then I recommend you take a look at Porcupine Tree. They were inspired by them, Steven Wilson is a fucking genius.

For starters:

41 minutes ago, manpe said:

My man UJ, if you like Pink Floyd, then I recommend you take a look at Porcupine Tree. They were inspired by them, Steven Wilson is a fucking genius.

For starters:

I listened to 6 or 7 of their stuff just now but they seem a very much more a drum based band. A harder sound than Floyd

38 minutes ago, Unionjack said:

I listened to 6 or 7 of their stuff just now but they seem a very much more a drum based band. A harder sound than Floyd

Yeah depends on what you listened to, their style varies greatly through time. Just like PF started out with psychedelic gibberish that wasn't recognizable to their latest stuff, although PT is indeed more metal oriented with more aggressive guitar riffs and drums (as opposed to PF's melodic sound). In general I just like melancholic music in addition to metallic stuff :P  A blend of those two is great.

Anybody here got last.fm? If so, add me http://www.last.fm/user/manpe

1 minute ago, manpe said:

Yeah depends on what you listened to, their style varies greatly through time. Just like PF started out with psychedelic gibberish that wasn't recognizable to their latest stuff, although PT is indeed more metal oriented with more aggressive guitar riffs and drums (as opposed to PF's melodic sound). In general I just like melancholic music in addition to metallic stuff :P  A blend of those two is great.

I must say I prefer his solo stuff more than the band stuff Ive listened to.

Tho I do think that if youre going to cover someone elses tune you have to try to make it your own. Like Space Oddity.

As for Floyd I like all their stuff from Syd thru.

Would have loved to spend some time with that guy. 8c415cfb300bd3a919f7e73c0f6265f2.gif

3 hours ago, manpe said:

I gave those a listen on this link you posted and I've got to say they sound very middle of the road AOR

But we can't all like the same stuff it would be a very boring world mate ;)

How things on Street corners have gone from a bottle of booze to a bag of Spice and I dont know which ones worse!
This was a really big Nothern Soul tune mid 70s. Amazing seeing 3000 pairs of feet stomping around to it. Sends tingles down the spine even without taking a load of whizz.

I cant tell you how pissed off I am at not being a few years older.
Summer of 1969 was a fuckin amazing festival time. And while you only hear of ones like Woodstock,Altamont,Isle of Man,Stones in the Park, Monterey there was loads of others with great lineups like Atlanta, San Jose Calif, Lewisbille Texas, Atlamtic City, Seattle, Toronto : which was actually the 1st time that the audiance put lighters/matches up in the air. Because John Lennon was nervous going on with Yokos Plastic Ono Band and someone suggested he goes on with no lights and asked the audiance to hold them up.
They were mostly all Love and Peace apart from Altamont where the Angels were supposedly hired by main organizers The Grateful Dead (who wouldn't even play due to the amount of violence that was going on) 1 lad got stabbed and killed by a Angel. There was a death ny hit and run and 1 guy was tripping and drowned

This is from a German festival the same year. The amount of passion she pours into this!!! .  I'd have loved to had spent some time partying with her.

Tubeway Army - Are Friends Electric ? ( Very Rare Unbroadcast Complete Version 1979 )

Label:
Atlantic ‎– 11 364
Format:
Vinyl, 7", 45 RPM, Single 
France
Released:
Genre:
Electronic
Style:
New Wave, Synth-pop

R-805844-1500174046-2214.jpeg.jpgR-805844-1500174045-1279.jpeg.jpg

Joy Division - 1980 US Atmosphere Single (Master-Tape, Japanese Boxset, Super Rare)

This IS the Joy Division collection to have. Taken directly from the ORIGINAL master tapes.

The Japanese boxset is a lesser known item in the Joy Division catalog. It was released in 1991 as five discs containing Unknown Pleasures, Closer, Still, Substance, and the October 1980 US Atmosphere single respectively. The set is popular in the audiophile community because it sourced its material from the ORIGINAL master tapes. Just about every other CD source, including the "Heart and Soul" boxset from 1997 and the 2007 remastered albums, utilized 2nd-gen sources, poor remasters, or unethical audio compressing. The Japanese boxset is uncompressed, unremastered, and the closest you will get to good vinyl quality.

The set is extremely rare and expensive, but as Joy Division is my all-time favorite band, I managed to get a copy, and am presenting you with "Closer" from the set. Enjoy these classic and beautiful tracks like I assume you've never heard before! Trust me; every track is just majestic, and there's no bullshit echoey crap either.

Note: "Isolation" is strange. On the CD, the ending climax noise is actually at the beginning of track 3 (Passover) rather than at the end of track 2 (Isolation). Like it the music is still the same, it's just they cut to track 3 after track 2 fades out. I have no idea why this is the case, but the track times I listed above reflect how it appears on the Japanese boxset. I figure I'd stick with it, since it's like a whole new experience.

Joy Division ‎– 1977 - 1980
Label:
Factory ‎– COCY-9329->32
Format:
Box Set, Compilation 
Japan
Released:
Genre:
Rock
Style:
New Wave, Indie Rock

R-2014714-1516198032-7210.jpeg.jpgR-2014714-1516198006-6070.jpeg.jpgR-2014714-1516198441-8983.jpeg.jpgR-2014714-1516198466-2833.jpeg.jpg

R-2014714-1516198461-2971.jpeg.jpgR-2014714-1516198471-3755.jpeg.jpg

On ‎02‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 1:41 AM, Unionjack said:

I cant tell you how pissed off I am at not being a few years older.
Summer of 1969 was a fuckin amazing festival time. And while you only hear of ones like Woodstock,Altamont,Isle of Man,Stones in the Park, Monterey there was loads of others with great lineups like Atlanta, San Jose Calif, Lewisbille Texas, Atlamtic City, Seattle, Toronto : which was actually the 1st time that the audiance put lighters/matches up in the air. Because John Lennon was nervous going on with Yokos Plastic Ono Band and someone suggested he goes on with no lights and asked the audiance to hold them up.
They were mostly all Love and Peace apart from Altamont where the Angels were supposedly hired by main organizers The Grateful Dead (who wouldn't even play due to the amount of violence that was going on) 1 lad got stabbed and killed by a Angel. There was a death ny hit and run and 1 guy was tripping and drowned

This is from a German festival the same year. The amount of passion she pours into this!!! .  I'd have loved to had spent some time partying with her.

Agree about 1969 and 68 too.

They say two things killed the Summer of Love revolution -Manson murders, and Altamont - saw the Stones a few times and it always seemed to kick off when they got into Symathy for the Devil

13 minutes ago, Vesper said:

here is a 1960's song I like a tonne.

The Groupies - Primitive (1966)

4872787726.jpgbillboar.JPG

The 60s mods were into a big mix of stuff. Everything from Psyche,Garage (just called R&R then lol) to of course US Soul and Ska.

There were 2 different types of mods too. The ones that were into paisley,hd longer hair, liked a spliff and a trip then the ones into their Scoots, loadsa speed,beating up greasers.

I dont know why they couldn't do both! They do now.

5 minutes ago, Unionjack said:

The 60s mods were into a big mix of stuff. Everything from Psyche,Garage (just called R&R then lol) to of course US Soul and Ska.

There were 2 different types of mods too. The ones that were into paisley,hd longer hair, liked a spliff and a trip then the ones into their Scoots, loadsa speed,beating up greasers.

I dont know why they couldn't do both! They do now.

Yes, soft mod/hard mod split, with many hard mods eventually turning into proto skins.

Pretty decent chart

family_tree.large.gif