Connor Clifford

EskWeston

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be good because he would play a lot, but on the other hand it is just League One.

Better than rotting in the reserves I think. Atleast it gives him a taste of physical, competitive football. Being in the team every week will help his confidence.

The club will try, if possible, to get him a loan at a club higher up in the food chain, of that is not possible then they will probably let him stay there while he is getting games.

I know it's off-topic but I'm hearing a lot about Burnley wanting to sign Cork permanently, what do you think will happen with that?

I know it's off-topic but I'm hearing a lot about Burnley wanting to sign Cork permanently, what do you think will happen with that?

Fairly likely i would think, Chelsea are showing no signs that they think he will be worth keeping around long term. Personally i think he can offer something to us, but it doesn't look like happening.

So do people reckon Clifford has a future in the first team with Chelsea? He seems to have become one of Plymouth's MVP's.....

I reckon he could stay with Plymouth for the season. Then Championship next season. Before taking over Lampard's role the following season. Maybe thats being very optimistic?

Also how long of a contract did he sign?

Think he signed a 3 year contract from memory.

Clifford certainly has the ability to make it at Chelsea but it is always hard to tell how development will go. On the face of it you would worry as every player that has gone on a long term loan has not been given first team chances to really have a go. However i don't think that is an issue, Connor will gain experience and get his shot at CFC i am sure.

Conor Clifford's loan to Plymouth Argyle has been extended until 22 January.

The 19-year-old Chelsea reserve team midfielder has been playing for the League One side since October. This is the second time his loan has been extended and he has started eight games.

Plymouth, who are managed by Peter Reid, have risen from 19th to 15th in that time.

'I think the supporters have taken to him [Clifford],' Reid has told Plymouth's official website.

'He can win the ball back and handle a football. He has been really good for us. He's brought an enthusiasm and energy about our play in the middle of the park.'

source CFC

I dont know exactly why they keep on extending his loan by a month, instead of sending him for the rest of the season! <_< <_< <_<

source CFC

I dont know exactly why they keep on extending his loan by a month, instead of sending him for the rest of the season! <_< <_< <_<

Because he was signed after the transfer window was closed, and they can only extend it for a month.And maximum is 3 months.

It is not Chelsea's fault this time.

Plymouth Argyle's bid to keep Conor Clifford at the club for another loan stay has been denied by the Football League.

The Pilgrims had agreed a deal with parent club Chelsea to keep the precocious midfielder at Home Park until January 22.

However, the Football League viewed the deal as a new signing and refused to accept Clifford's registration because Argyle have been made the subject of a winding-up order.

The Irish Under-21 midfielder made eight appearances for Peter Reid's men, where he has been on loan since October.

What sense does this make if at all he will be able to sign a loan deal in 9 days time?? Rules rules rules...

I think it's because of the "wind-up order" not the actual process of loaning. The loan is seen as a "new" deal rather than "extended" deal in the eyes of the Football League, I guess a consequence of a wind-up order is.. That club cannot sign new players, either permanently or on loan.

Plymouth manager Peter Reid on Clifford

Obviously, we're all bitterly disappointed he won't be with us. "The boy was sick, really gutted when he was told he wouldn't be staying.

"He's done great for us and been a leader and shook people up, but what will be, will be.

"But it is a blow – I've got to say that.

"He brought enthusiasm and energy to our play in the middle of the park, and has been a breath of fresh air.

"I only learned (that he wouldn't be staying) on Tuesday afternoon from the league.

"But there's nothing I can do about it – there's no good worrying or moaning – I've just got to get on with it."

Plymouth Captain:

"It's obviously disappointing. We only found out on Wednesday morning of the situation.

"It's a blow for us because he (Clifford) has been doing well for us of late.

"Of course, he was learning his trade and gaining experience at the same time, playing for us. We've just got to get on with it and not dwell on it too much.

"That's the way it is in football: one day you're with a team and the next you're transferred.

"You've just got to get on with it and try and be as positive as you can."

Looks like he made quite an impression