Yossi Benayoun

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what happened to giving the young players a chance, a 30 year old mediocre player who would only ever be warming the subs bench.. jesus christ.

Exactly the reason why it never should happen, and probably won't happen also... I still feel now that any signings we make will be in the mould of Matic and Sturridge, young cheap and massive potential.

Chelsea have paved the way for Joe Cole's departure from Stamford Bridge by formalising their interest in the Liverpool midfielder Yossi Benayoun, with the Israeli confident a transfer can be completed over the next week.

An opening bid of £4m is understood to have been knocked back by the Merseyside club, though they have offered Chelsea encouragement that an improved offer of about £6m will secure the 30-year-old. Carlo Ancelotti is keen to sign the Israel international after talks with Cole's representative over a new deal reached an impasse, with the midfielder now expected to leave under freedom of contract next month.

Tottenham Hotspur, with a potential Champions League campaign ahead, remain favourites to secure Cole under the Bosman ruling, ending his seven-year stay in south-west London since a £6.6m move from West Ham United. The 28-year-old had hoped to gain an increase on his weekly wage to £100,000, but Chelsea are set upon restructuring financially and did not offer him improved terms.

Cole has not had a regular first‑team place at the Double winners under Ancelotti, and Benayoun will have to accept life as a squad player as well. His own fortunes at Liverpool dipped somewhat towards the end of last season to mirror those of the team, with his relationship with the manager, Rafael Benítez, steadily deteriorating to the point where Liverpool effectively sanctioned his departure in the closed season.

The move is surprising given that Benayoun, who had also attracted tentative interest from his former club West Ham United and Spurs, is two years older than Cole in a squad that is already considered to be ageing, though he does have pedigree in the Premier League.

The Israeli anticipates the completion of his move to Stamford Bridge over the next few days having indicated last week while on international duty that Chelsea were keen to sign him. "Ancelotti wants me for next season and now everything depends on Liverpool," he said. "Chelsea will have to pay some £6m, but I believe that, in the end, I'll be moving there."

-----------------------------------------------------

Source:- The Guardian

-----------------------------------------------------

:mouthclosed: :mouthclosed: :mouthclosed: :mouthclosed: :mouthclosed: :mouthclosed: :mouthclosed:

Dont want him. He's 30 and can't even break into Liverpools team never mind ours. and for 6 MILLION? Dont take the piss Ancelotti, sign someone decent/ KEEP JOE COLE for that sort of player :S

Dont want him. He's 30 and can't even break into Liverpools team never mind ours. and for 6 MILLION? Dont take the piss Ancelotti, sign someone decent/ KEEP JOE COLE for that sort of player :S

You can barely say he can't break into Liverpools team. He started 30 games for them last season and was a sub in 14.

I agree with BomTrett when he says that Benayoun is 30. We're meant to be reducing the average age of the club, not increasing it!

At the end of the day its better than purchasing a young player. What the club want to do and have they want to do is get players from the youth into the first team. By getting Benayoun we have a player who will retire soon and leave a space in the squad for players to fit in when they mature and are ready. People are saying we should put the youth in now without no actual insight on it. I'm sure if they were ready they would be playing week in week out.

I can't believe we are discusing this guy for 3 pages ... this page should never been opened. Benayoun is an average player and isn't in Liverpool TOP 11 so he is definately not good enough for us. I just can't believe some guys here think we are actually sign this guy and have him as a replacemnt for J.Cole. I mean even Kakuta at his age is better than this crappy player.

You can't call Benayoun shit, he's been one of a handful of bright sparks for Liverpool in an abysmally-poor season for them, the others being the superb Reina and also Torres when he's fit.

I can't believe we are discusing this guy for 3 pages ... this page should never been opened. Benayoun is an average player and isn't in Liverpool TOP 11 so he is definately not good enough for us. I just can't believe some guys here think we are actually sign this guy and have him as a replacemnt for J.Cole. I mean even Kakuta at his age is better than this crappy player.

:goodpost: -Sarcasm- <_<

I'm just concerned about the Englishness of the Chelsea team. We can't afford to offload our best English players otherwise we're not going to be able to abide by UEFA's new home grown rule for the Champions League.

I say, get Cole to sign a new deal, and tell Benayoun to do one!

I'm just concerned about the Englishness of the Chelsea team. We can't afford to offload our best English players otherwise we're not going to be able to abide by UEFA's new home grown rule for the Champions League.

I say, get Cole to sign a new deal, and tell Benayoun to do one!

I'm sure the club are fully aware of this.

instead of him we can buy Henderson (Sunderland) or Moses (Wigan).................... and the price will also be as much as of Benayoun.........so why invest in aged players when we have young talent to invest....................but still i will go with stoch to replace joe.............

Edited by crazy1

I just dont like the idea of signing a 30 year old at 6 mill. If Joe is going, buy a young player who could do the job of coming on for 15-20 minutes or even bring one up to the first team. I'd like to see stoch in our team, he did well at twente and it'd be good to see someone like him or even kakuta being a more regular appearance maker.