Yossi Benayoun

Liverpool midfielder Yossi Benayoun has caused a combination of outrage and shock on Merseyside by an apparent public declaration that he wants to quit Anfield for Stamford Bridge.

Benayoun is quoted in the Daily Mail as saying: "Ancelotti wants me for next season and now everything depends on Liverpool. Chelsea will have to pay some £6 million but I believe that in the end I'll be moving there."

That has sparked a combustible reaction in the Red half of Merseyside, with Liverpool fans confused whether the comment is factual or not and totally surprised by it.

Soccernet last week broke the news that Chelsea were considering a move for the Israeli captain. That, too, provoked disbelief.

But a source close to the 30-year-old midfielder told Soccernet at the time: "Nobody has spoken to me about interest from Chelsea, but it wouldn't surprise me.

"As for whether Yossi would want to go, he is the type of player who wants to play every game. When he is left out of the team, he wants to go, when he is in the team, he wants to stay. He keeps changing his mind as he has been in and out of the team all season."

Much of the surprise from Liverpool fans is due to the fact Carlo Ancelotti has expressed the desire to lower the average age of his Chelsea side and bring through younger players.

Yet Benayoun is 30, which flies in the face of that declared policy and gives credence to the suspicion that it cannot be true.

But there is continued uncertainty about the future of Joe Cole who is out of contract and available on a free transfer, as his contract talks have stalled.

Javier Mascherano is also on Chelsea's radar as Michael Ballack is nearing the end of his Stamford Bridge career, and Ancelotti is in need of an experienced midfield anchor man.

The big catch at Anfield, though, is Fernando Torres, and it is now widely accepted that the Spanish striker is top of Roman Abramovich's wanted list, and an initial £50 million plus player exchange offer is not far away.

There could be some fascinating exchanges of players between Anfield and the Bridge this summer, and the middle men are working away feverishly to see if it can happen.

Source: ESPN

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My god, please no!

He is 30 years old and therefore just what we need <_<. Besides, he isn't that much of an exceptional player, rather have some of our youths fill that position, probably have the same amount or even more quality :rolleyes:.

I dont understand how you can say hes not good enough. If we get him for the 6 million pounds that is reported i think that would be a bargain. He is a bit older but still he is a decent player. That said he would be a last option and if stoch does come back he would be first preference.

Just because we can get him for a good price doesnt make him a better player. There are better, younger, quicker players we should be looking at instead of Benayoun. And to be honest I dont really want the bin dippers left overs at Stamford Bridge.

£6 million? Deal! He's a good squad player and has Premier League experience. He's a true professional and his versatility is something we could do with. I wouldn't at all mind if we signed him.

I don't think Cork's ready yet. Matic on the other hand, seems top flight quality and I can't wait to see him playing regularly.

Jack Cork put in some brilliant performances for Burnley, Premiership football is definately not a step too much for him. Would rather both players got the chance to push through than sign someone like Benayoun, we might as well keep Ballack, Belletti and Deco if that is the route we are going down.

Jack Cork put in some brilliant performances for Burnley, Premiership football is definately not a step too much for him. Would rather both players got the chance to push through than sign someone like Benayoun, we might as well keep Ballack, Belletti and Deco if that is the route we are going down.

My point is, I'm not sure if he's ready for Chelsea. Someone like Benayoun has experience in the Premier League and in the Champions League, which is why I would not mind if we signed him.

Personally I'd rather see us invest elsewhere in the team, I think central midfield is our strongest area in terms of players. We have Lampard, Essien, Mikel, Ballack and Joe Cole who can all operate there, and the youngsters like Kakuta and Matic are full of potential. I'm merely saying if we were to sign Benayoun, it wouldn't be all bad.