The Rock Thread

chrismada9

Since TerminatorX has his a hop-hop thread going, I've decided to create a thread which is dedicated to Kerrang, Metal, rock et al. For all those who like rock. Oasis is classed as rock so they can be talked about in here. :smiliecap1:

Anyone have favourite bands or albums??

Mine has to be, one that I currently own by Opeth, "Blackwater Park"

1233285360813_f.jpg

Some of my favourite bands are...

- Opeth

- Soilwork

- Disturbed

- In Flames

- Dream Theater

- Green Carnation

- All American Rejects

- Linkin Park

- Breaking Benjamin

- Rage Against the Machine

- Rammstein

- Wintersun

- Korn

- Rob Zombie

- AC/DC

- Artillery

- Iron Maiden

- Keane

- Oasis

- Kiss

Probably my favourite song at the moment is Final Show by Artillery

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bQtN0KS3vw

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OASIS, OASIS, OASIS.

I like all forms of music. But rock music is my favourite because of its diversity. I love melodic, classic pop-rock - bands like Oasis and U2 would fall under that category I feel. I love some heavier stuff just as much like Audioslave and Linkin Park but that's about as far as I'd go - I hate screamo shit :P

Jethro Tull did a song that went on for 42 minutes and was the whole album, ELP had a 30 minute song, Soft Machine had a double album that consisted of only 4 tracks that lasted about 20 minutes long each and Dream Theater tend to have a couple of 20 minute epics on every album (albeit Dream Theater is a bit boring).

But then again there our songs I like that only last a minute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEE6nG8I36s

Kerrang and rock in the same sentence?

End of the world!

Kerrang are all about emo music and pop shit, there are even sometimes where i have seen Jay-Z on the music channel. They promote emo music and yet in the magazine they call some forms of metal for "pussies", what kind of contradiction is that?

End of rant: I enjoy Gothic Metal lately band with Ville Laihiala to be more precise (Poisonblack and Sentenced). But my favorite band of all has to be Ra. Not only does the vocalist have one of the best vocals i have ever heard but the lyrics are so intriuging, they just brainwash you to sing.

Examples:

Ra - Sky (one of their best, off their debut album From One)

Ra - Superman (defo one of the best songs which shows the different vocal range)

Another band i have started to listen to more recently to is Alter Bridge, Myles Kennedy has the same vocal range as the vocalist in Ra.

Thanks CJ, it's too bad they weren't promote as largely as they should have been when they were signed to Universal. but since then they have been really great on Sahaj's label (Sahaj is the vocalist btw). I have to admit there latest album 'Black Sheep' was more experimental, but otherwise the others album's are truly magical (to me, i am a supporter to that everyone has their own opinions on stuff). Accordingly, Sahaj is recording a solo album which i wouldn't say would be different to Ra's type of music.

Another band which i like (more the music then the look) is called Soulidium. Only released one album so far (accordingly recording another one), but has some greats songs on it.

Examples:

Soulidium - The Light (a song that is annoyingly catchy)

Soulidium - Trapped (also on Saw 2 soundtrack)

I am also a fan of Breaking Benjamin too, love 'Follow Me' and 'Diary of Jane', think the acoustic version is better. Loved all their albums even their new one.

Ahh Breaking Benjamin are a quality band as well!! "Phase" from the Saturate album is probably their best song...

Also, Chevelle is a band I like, forgot to add them to my list before, The Red is their best song

Edited by CJ Revo

that first Death Angel song sounds pretty good Zan! Got into that quite easily, I think it's that kind of music that really catches me. I can be very picky with metal music. If it sounds good then I'm all for it, I'm not too bothered about the vocals.

Here's another great band, Soilwork, my favourite from them is Nerve

goign back to what i said earlier, i am into my gothic metal, ie Sentenced and Poisonblack. Sentenced has to be the best with the lyrical content but Poisonblack is where Ville exploits his vocals more. Also, Poisonblack's lat album has a more bluesy feel then the others.

Example

Blood and Tears by Sentenced

Rush by Poisonblack

Of course, there are more wonderful songs, but i am limited to two. Damn!

:P

Poisonblack! They sound a lot like a cross between fellow Finnish band, "H.I.M" (which are pretty good, and I recommend you checking out!), and Marilyn Manson. Very very good song you posted up! "Get-into-able" I reckon :smiliecap1:

Smashing Pumpkins are a quality band, and if you know the Transformers soundtrack you'll know this one! :D

And I love me a bit of Viking Metal as well Stýrisvølurin by Týr is probably the best song.

Edited by CJ Revo

Poisonblack is from Finland so that may help understand the likeliness :). Smashing Pumpkins, you can't hate 'em. Another awesome band is Alter Bridge, Creed instrumentals but with a new singer, you can say the lead is better since he got some lessons in between when Creed split and AB's birth.

Examples:

Alter Bridge - Metalingus (hard rock, if you watch/watched wrestling Edge's song (or am i the only one :P))

Alter Bridge - Rise Today

Other brilliant songs have to be Watch Over You, Ties that bind, Broken Wings, endless for me. It's that vocal range which Myles Kennedy has that makes them so different, and with the lyrics it is just a deadly mix. Well for my ears it is.

Edited by ZanSnake