Chelsea vs Bolton

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JT's programme notes.

We have had a very good week. Our own performances have been great, but Manchester United drawing at Blackburn will only be a good result for us if we capitalise on it tonight.

Up at Old Trafford we won with a good team performance. It was great work from Flo and a nice finish from Joe for the opening goal. We were pressing well and working hard all over the pitch, especially in the first half. Villa at Wembley was always going to be difficult after beating them 7-1 at home the previous fortnight, but we are in a good period.

Joe Cole's recent performances have been impressive, which is perfect timing for Chelsea and England. We also have Ash back training with the squad which is a big boost at this stage of the season.

We now play Portsmouth in the FA Cup Final and, believe me, it will not be easy for us.

We know that's to come and what it could mean, but we must focus on the league. If we can get this right, the FA Cup Final will mean so much more to all of us.

For now, we must kick on and put ourselves four points clear. Tonight we must continue doing what we have been.

There's a real togetherness in the squad. We now have the chance to make some history this season, and I can assure you we are all determined to achieve it.

If you're going to stay at the top for a long time, challenging for honours, you're going to suffer a lot of disappointments.

At the end of the day, if you win enough of the big games and then enough trophies, the defeats become stepping stones.

You compete and you compete, always at 100 per cent and then, when the opportunity arises, you have to seize it. When you seize it, you can make history.

We haven't won the league for the last three years. We've won the FA Cup twice in that time. We've never won the league and Cup double.

In my lifetime only Liverpool, Man United and Arsenal have.

Let's make history.

Come on the Chels!

Cant say i am overly happy with the team selection. Moving away from what has been working so well for us and back to what we was struggling with a little. Ballack for Deco i mentioned earlier but also playing Nico out wide has been discussed at length is something that wasn't working for us.

Chelsea TV suggesting we have lined up with the biggest squad possible to combat Bolton's tactics, for me at home we should be letting the oppos worry about us not the other way around.

Hope i am proved wrong....

TEAM NEWS: Chelsea V BOLTON WANDERERS

Posted on: Tue 13 Apr 2010Michael Ballack returns to the starting line-up for the first time since the Inter Champions League match at the Bridge six games ago.

Deco is rested and is on the bench, as are Florent Malouda and, after three consecutive starts, Joe Cole. Salomon Kalou will play wide with Nicolas Anelka on the other flank. Both he and Didier Drogba start.

The defence is unchanged for a fourth game in a row. They have conceded two goals in the last three matches.

Bolton make two changes. Striker Jonas Elmander is left out as the visitors play Kevin Davies on his own up front. Gretar Steinsson and Matthew Taylor come in with Tamir Cohen dropped to the bench.

Chelsea are expected to line up in the following 4-3-3 formation:

1 Petr Cech

19 Paulo Ferreira

33 Alex

26 John Terry ©

18 Yury Zhirkov

13 Michael Ballack

12 John Mikel Obi

8 Frank Lampard

39 Nicolas Anelka

11 Didier Drogba

21 Salomon Kalou

Substitutes: 40 Hilario, 43 Jeffrey Bruma, 52 Patrick van Aanholt, 10 Joe Cole, 20 Deco. 15 Florent Malouda, 23 Daniel Sturridge.

Bolton are expected to line up in the following 4-5-1 formation:

Jaaskelainen; Ricketts, Cahill, Knight, Robinson; Steinsson, Muamba, Lee, Wilshere Taylor; K Davies ©.

Subs: Al Habsi, Samuel, M Davies, Cohen, Weiss, Klasnic, Elmander.

The referee is Lee Probert.

2007/2008 - Chelsea 1-1 Bolton (would've won the league if Man Utd failed to beat Wigan on the last day and we won, fucked it)

Man Utd were already 2-0 up against Wigan before we went 1-0 up, and we must have dipped in confidence, and I think that's how the goal happened.

Have to trust Carlo knows what he's doing with that lineup. Not the best looking team we could field - glaring issues with Nico and Drogs paired together and with Malouda not starting. At least we have a strong bench come the second half...

Come on Chels! Salt this thing away!!!

I think its great to rest Malouda for the yids game. If we can't beat Bolton with this team, there's a serious problem even if Ballack, Mikel and Kalou are playing. Kalou always does well in these kinda games anyway. I'm sure we did Bolton 4-0 twice in 3 days (like we did to yids in 2002) with the 4-4-2 earlier in the season (except Deco had 2 blinders, he should be playing ahead of Ballack).

Any side we put out should beat that Bolton team, no excuses at all.

Edited by OllieCFC

TEAM NEWS Chelsea v Bolton

Didier Drogba and Nicolas Anelka both start for Chelsea as manager Carlo Ancelotti picks an attacking side to face Bolton. As expected Joe Cole and Deco are rested with Salomon Kalou and Michael Ballack returning to start at Stamford Bridge, but the in-form Florent Malouda must make do with a place on the bench. Ancelotti is still without a host of players though, including Jose Bosingwa, Michael Essien, Ricardo Carvalho and Ashley Cole. Bolton boss Owen Coyle makes two changes from the side that lost to Aston Villa on 3 April, with Gretar Steinsson and Matt Taylor returning at the expense of Tamir Cohen and Johan Elmander.