Aston Villa vs Chelsea

Can see this being one of the toughest games of the season. I can see us being complacent (and why wouldn't we be?) after the 7-1 drubbing, whilst Villa will want to get their own back and have a point to prove - and what better stage to do so than in an FA Cup semi final? This is going to have to be a disciplined, defensive performance, á la the Mourinho days. 1-0 or 2-1.

Can see this being a bit tricky as well - O'Neill isnt thick and will tactically have worked things out. That said Chels will edge it.

Good that Ivanovich on the bench as well...

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aston Villa v Chelsea

Aston Villa’s last FA Cup match at Wembley saw them lose 1-0 to Chelsea in the 2000 FA Cup final.

This is only the Villans’ third FA Cup semi final appearance in 50 years since 1960.

Martin O’Neill’s men have kept just one clean sheet in their last 14 FA Cup appearances.

Villa have averaged three goals per game in the FA Cup this season competition this season.

John Carew is the top scorer in the FA Cup this season with six goals, including five in his last two appearances.

Chelsea have won their last six FA Cup matches at Wembley.

The Pensioners have scored at least twice in their last 10 FA Cup games.

Daniel Sturridge has hit four goals in just three appearances in the competition this season.

The Blues have lost just one of their last 13 meetings with the Birmingham side in all competitions.

However Aston Villa have won five of the eight FA Cup meetings between the sides, drawing once and losing twice.

Chelsea are expected to line up in the following 4-2-3-1 formation (Mail):

01. Cech

18. Zhirkov

26. Terry ©

33. Alex

19. Ferreira

08. Lampard

12. Mikel

15. Malouda

20. Deco

10. J Cole

11. Drogba

Mail predicts: Villa 0-2 Chelsea, Lampard to score first

I think it will be a very comfortable win because villa arent a good team at all imo, they win games but i never see them play well. JT's comments about them getting tired in the 2nd half will make them very wary, i think 2-0 and comfortable although i really dont mind too much, it's the league i want so much.

We can relax a bit today on the big wembley pitch in the sun, take the pressure of the league away maybe. We've done well in the cup in recent years, just get that premiership.

I think it will be a very comfortable win because villa arent a good team at all imo, they win games but i never see them play well. JT's comments about them getting tired in the 2nd half will make them very wary, i think 2-0 and comfortable although i really dont mind too much, it's the league i want so much.

We can relax a bit today on the big wembley pitch in the sun, take the pressure of the league away maybe. We've done well in the cup in recent years, just get that premiership.

Seconded.

TEAM NEWS: Chelsea V ASTON VILLA

Posted on: Sat 10 Apr 2010 Joe Cole and Florent Malouda are the players selected by Carlo Ancelotti to play wide in a three-man attack, either side of Didier Drogba.

The midfield and defence are unchanged from the previous two matches so Yury Zhirkov will be playing at Wembley for the first time.

Petr Cech plays in goal with Hilario on the bench.

Deco continues alongside Frank Lampard with John Mikel Obi anchoring the midfield.

Branislav Ivanovic returns from injury on the bench.

Aston Villa look to be reverting to 4-4-2 after the failure of 4-2-3-1 at Stamford Bridge.

Gabriel Agbonlahor moves from wide on the right to partner Jon Carew in attack.

Stewart Downing comes in on the wing and Carlos Cuellar is preferred at right back to Luke Young.

Chelsea are expected to line up in the following 4-3-3 formation:

1 Petr Cech

19 Paulo Ferreira

33 Alex

26 John Terry ©

18 Yury Zhirkov

20 Deco

12 John Mikel Obi

8 Frank Lampard

10 Joe Cole

11 Didier Drogba

15 Florent Malouda

Substitutes: 40 Hilario, 2 Branislav Ivanovic, 35 Juliano Belletti, 13 Michael Ballack, 21 Salomon Kalou, 23 Daniel Sturridge, 39 Nicolas Anelka.

Aston Villa are expected to line up in the following 4-4-2 formation:

Friedel; Cuellar, Collins, Dunne, Warnock; Downing, Petrov ©, Milner, A Young; Agbonlahor, Carew.

Substitutes: Guzan, L Young, Sidwell, Beye, Delph, Delfouneso, Heskey.

The referee is Howard Webb.