Celery...

Blueboy

Can someone please explain this whole celery-song/tradition to me? I'm a pretty new fan of the club (don't see myself as a gloryhunter though, just to make that clear ;)!!!), and don't know the history of it. Every now & then i hear about it, see it in a few vids; I am eager to know more about it. Couldn't find a topic about it with the search button, so thought i'd rather start a new topic about it :).

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I know there's two different stories for this one. Some say that it was due to a fan who threw celery at a match and was banned because of it, the ban was then lifted because the courts said that it was not deemed as dangerous and therefore the act of actually throwing it around was started by Chelsea fans in the Shed.

Iv read somewhere before that celery started to grow on the pitch during pre-season is Gillingham FC and that it was the their fans that started the celery tradition.

I'd be happy if someone else could correct me...

I'm sure there is something about in Rick Glanvill's book. I'll have a check to see what Rick says.

Someone was throwing some lumps down from MH Upper during the Cardiff game, pure class.

http://www.guardian....wsstory.sport11

Not sure if the ban has been lifted, it hasn't stopped the fans throwing it anyway.

Ha Ha, thats hilarious.

"Salad tossing" and "Arsenal players complained of being pelted with the vegetable" are my favourites! lol!

Edited by boshman

I had a look in Rick Glanvill's book and all it says regarding the song is that it's derived from an old knees up number 'Ask Old Brown' - lyrics go Ask old brown for tea, and all the family, if he don't oome we'll tickle his bum with a lump of celery. He then goes on to say that Chas Hodges (one half of Chas and Dave) recorded it in 1981. Micky Greenaway who was a famous Chelsea fan is to have picked up the casette version during a Chelsea tour of Sweden in 1981 and supposedly he played it over and over and therefore the song Celery as we know it today was born.

I had a look in Rick Glanvill's book and all it says regarding the song is that it's derived from an old knees up number 'Ask Old Brown' - lyrics go Ask old brown for tea, and all the family, if he don't oome we'll tickle his bum with a lump of celery. He then goes on to say that Chas Hodges (one half of Chas and Dave) recorded it in 1981. Micky Greenaway who was a famous Chelsea fan is to have picked up the casette version during a Chelsea tour of Sweden in 1981 and supposedly he played it over and over and therefore the song Celery as we know it today was born.

Thanks mate :clap:

Edited by Blueboy