Roberto Di Matteo

James

I don't see it like that Tomo, but I respect the view.

I think the club felt they didn't have choice but to offer RDM a fulltime contract or face the wrath of the media and others alike in vilifying Chelsea. Backs against the wall and that.

Fair enough but either way RDMs sacking whenever it came was always going to lead to the media clichés like "how can you sack a CL winning manager" with no context to how the full time job is almost a completely different task to what he faced in his interim spell.

Fair enough but either way RDMs sacking whenever it came was always going to lead to the media clichés like "how can you sack a CL winning manager" with no context to how the full time job is almost a completely different task to what he faced in his interim spell.

Definitely, it was always going to be a ticking time-bomb for this club.

I really hope he can do well at Schalke, love the lad !

He had a good start, but results have tailed off lately. Has a Huge match this weekend in the Revierderby vs. BvB Dortmund. One good bit of news is the fact that Drexler might play in this match.

He had a good start, but results have tailed off lately. Has a Huge match this weekend in the Revierderby vs. BvB Dortmund. One good bit of news is the fact that Drexler might play in this match.

Erm, Schalke have played Dortmund twice already this season. They are away at FC Cologne this weekend.

• 3 weeks later...

Suspect coach. His game style was really worrying in schalke. They couldnt get a act together and played like a pub team

Well when bus parking is your main tactic it won't help in the long term...apart from that crazy Madrid game every time I seen them play they have been terrible whether that is against good or bad teams. A couple of good performance against Bayern and Madrid inflated his reputation imo.

Overall his level is probably Championship at best

Well when bus parking is your main tactic it won't help in the long term...apart from that crazy Madrid game every time I seen them play they have been terrible whether that is against good or bad teams. A couple of good performance against Bayern and Madrid inflated his reputation imo.

Overall his level is probably Championship at best

Clearly not. Apart from his short spell here as interim manger, he's always been an coach with an attacking philosophy. Have some respect.

Clearly not. Apart from his short spell here as interim manger, he's always been an coach with an attacking philosophy. Have some respect.

I am not playing down his achievement with us, that 2011-12 season will forever be remembered as one of our best in our history and rightly so. But his ABILITY as a coach is questionable, sacked by West Brom, Chelsea and now Schalke. Basically he failed with keeping a relegation contender team up, one of the best team in the world to maintain position at the top and fail to help a potential top 4-5 club in Germany to their aim of a CL place.

Maybe his place is at the lower division with teams aiming for top flight pormotion. That is the cold hard truth after the past 3 years. Just because we played all out attacking in those 1st couple of months 2012-13 doesn't mean he is a natural attacking coach. It was DEMANDED by Roman and he duly obliged to keep his job.

I am not playing down his achievement with us, that 2011-12 season will forever be remembered as one of our best in our history and rightly so. But his ABILITY as a coach is questionable, sacked by West Brom, Chelsea and now Schalke. Basically he failed with keeping a relegation contender team up, one of the best team in the world to maintain position at the top and fail to help a potential top 4-5 club in Germany to their aim of a CL place.

Maybe his place is at the lower division with teams aiming for top flight pormotion. That is the cold hard truth after the past 3 years. Just because we played all out attacking in those 1st couple of months 2012-13 doesn't mean he is a natural attacking coach. It was DEMANDED by Roman and he duly obliged to keep his job.

This is ridiculous, when he was sacked from West Brom they were well above the relegation zone. They finished 11th in the season he was sacked (unjustifiably, a lot of WBA fans were still behind him).

For us, he obviously wasn't the man but he didn't do so badly. Winning an FA Cup and CL and starting the following season off pretty well. Obviously CFC is too big for him though.

Schalke's apparent dismissal was pretty unfair as well considering he took over when they were 11th and steered them to 5th.

You've got it all wrong when it comes to the WBA and Schalke stuff. He did okay with them. Like I said, have some respect. He isn't a championship standard coach. He has flaws, but he's definitely a top division manager.

This is ridiculous, when he was sacked from West Brom they were well above the relegation zone. They finished 11th in the season he was sacked (unjustifiably, a lot of WBA fans were still behind him).

For us, he obviously wasn't the man but he didn't do so badly. Winning an FA Cup and CL and starting the following season off pretty well. Obviously CFC is too big for him though.

Schalke's apparent dismissal was pretty unfair as well considering he took over when they were 11th and steered them to 5th.

You've got it all wrong when it comes to the WBA and Schalke stuff. He did okay with them. Like I said, have some respect. He isn't a championship standard coach. He has flaws, but he's definitely a top division manager.

I haven't followed Schalke atall but at West Brom and his full time stint at Chelsea he seemed to start ok but as soon as the team hit the skids he had no idea how to arrest the slide and was consequently sacked both times.

That is something that he needs to fix if he wants to be a regular gaffer in one of the top 5 league's.

I haven't followed Schalke atall but at West Brom and his full time stint at Chelsea he seemed to start ok but as soon as the team hit the skids he had no idea how to arrest the slide and was consequently sacked both times.

That is something that he needs to fix if he wants to be a regular gaffer in one of the top 5 league's.

Definitely. He's very young, he's shown that he has the ability IMO. To say he's a championship manager was just ridiculous though.

Definitely. He's very young, he's shown that he has the ability IMO. To say he's a championship manager was just ridiculous though.

Well RDM has won something that le voyeur hasn't. Also RDM is unbeaten vs le voyeur & that includes the time when RDM was gaffer @ wba.