Patrick van Aanholt

magic weeds

I like him, a lot... Really think he can help us next season. Jose is not just a manager but a trainer, he can help Patrick improve defensively. As is his tools going forward are off the charts and he can be considered a loan success story.

I say give him at least half a season under Jose to show what he can do before we make a decision on him.

But will that half of the season be enough for him to improve defensively?

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Azpi and Cahill were already good defenders though. PVA has A LOT to learn.

He doesn't need to reach Azpi level defensively, he just need to reach decent/good. If Mou can do what he did with Marcelo, PVA will be okay.

PVA should be on the team next season even if a new LB is signed, he will come handy against the lower EPL teams the ones we have struggled with. I don't see a reason for him to be shipped out before given an opportunity.

He doesn't need to reach Azpi level defensively, he just need to reach decent/good. If Mou can do what he did with Marcelo, PVA will be okay.

PVA should be on the team next season even if a new LB is signed, he will come handy against the lower EPL teams the ones we have struggled with. I don't see a reason for him to be shipped out before given an opportunity.

Yeah I agree. He's definitely ready to be the back up left back of the team and as you said, he can also be very useful against lower PL teams. He's also home grown IIRC. We'll see whether he'll get given that opportunity though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

"Where I play next year? I do not. Do not know, at least, at Chelsea. I'm done here"

Quite obvious van Aanholt won't be staying as backup LB then. No idea where he'll end up, reckon he might go to some Dutch club on a permanent transfer for at least a couple of years and then move to a bigger league sometime after Euro2016 if he manages to impress? Not PL quality at least not yet and I wouldn't count on him staying in the Netherlands to do his defensive abilities any good but not sure if he's got any takers elsewhere. Hope we can get at least a few million for him.

"Where I play next year? I do not. Do not know, at least, at Chelsea. I'm done here"

[colorI don't get it if he's gone...we'll bring Filipe Luis, and we are negotiating about Bertrand sale, Asley is gone so we'll have one LB?? And don't tell me.Azpilicueta is LB.... We'll have Iva and Azpilicueta as RB and Filipe Luis as LB...something wrong here. I can bet this quote is fake...no source at all?

I don't get it if he's gone...we'll bring Filipe Luis, and we are negotiating about Bertrand sale, Asley is gone so we'll have one LB?? And don't tell me.Azpilicueta is LB.... We'll have Iva and Azpilicueta as RB and Filipe Luis as LB...something wrong here. I can bet this quote is fake...no source at all?

http://www.vi.nl/nieuws/van-aanholt-breekt-na-zeven-jaar-met-chelsea.htm

The source, Voetbal International, are one of the leading Dutch football media outlets if I'm not mistaken and I doubt they'd be posting quotes from the player without first checking if they're true.

I think we're fine with Filipe Luis, should he sign of course, playing the majority of games and Azpilicueta being deployed at LB if the Brazilian is not available. Luis has proven that much like Cole in the past for Chelsea he can play around 50 games a season at the highest level and in case he gets injured or suspended we're more than fine with using Cesar on the left and Ivanovic on the right. I think Zouma can also be deployed at RB even though it's not his ideal position so Luis, Azpi, Ivanovic, Zouma is enough options for the full-back department.

While it would be best to have a proper backup player for Filipe Luis I don't really know anyone who fits the bill at the moment and keeping one of the youngsters, for example Aké who can play LB, around just in case the team gets plagued by injuries wouldn't do his development any good. Maybe we could send the youngsters (Ake, Omeruo, Chalobah) on loan with a re-call clause and trigger it on one of them if things get bad. Or alternatively get a Tiago-like cheap squad player who won't complain about the lack of playing time but can still do the job when called upon. Neither Cole, Bertrand nor Van Aanholt tick all those boxes (cheap, reliable, happy to be backup) so that's why they're going / gone.

[colorI don't get it if he's gone.

I do, he's lazy and can't defend, if any one is an anti Mourinho player, it's him.