Nathaniel Chalobah

Clevemayer

5 minutes ago, It's too big said:

Please no. He is a CM and should stay that way. We have a talented young defender in TImori in the ranks, why not just use him if this is possibly a plan. Clarke-Salter deserves a chance too. 

Both those guys are years away. 

When Nathaniel was in our youth system he was a CB much like Ake, he can definitely player there its just a matter of whether or not the manager believes he can. He's a leader.

8 minutes ago, BlueSunshine said:

The way things are going, i can easily see him and Mikel playing as CBs and RLC as a striker. Can't wait to see this team in action, it will dominate the league.

Mercy please NO!

I think Nath has come on well last year and I'd like to see him staying. He will be good. Him/N'Golo/Cescy could make a great 3 man central team with Cescy playing deep. Course hes not fact or the best at defending but hes anout the best we got as far as creativity. If he gets the time and space he needs wew will do just fine.

2 hours ago, J.F. said:

He is calm, mature, good on the ball, fast, very versatile player, played CB for Steve Clarke in Reading. Also Conte is love with ball playing defenders.

And through almost all of his career in our development squads. 

Man I hope Conte's been impressed by the lad and keeps him with the first team, he's had some valuable loans now and is ready to be part of this Chelsea team. Whether that's as a central midfielder or defender, he's a good utility player & still relatively young. Still remember that 2012 FAYC final, crazy to think Nat is still only 21! 

Anyway, I don't think he will lol. Probably another loan then eventual sale, keeping in line with the model we've adopted.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

1 hour ago, nono said:

It's very upsetting how he isn't getting any playing time at all after how good he was in preseason. We've only played poor teams as well. Conte seems like another Mourinho as far as playing youth goes. 

Let me ask you a question please. How many managers not selecting a player will it take before you accept that there might be a good reason for it?

I completely agree with you, Nathaniel was outstanding in pre-season, when he played. What this says to me is that Antonio must be seeing stuff in training that he really doesn't like or else the lad must surely have had some minutes by now.

3 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Let me ask you a question please. How many managers not selecting a player will it take before you accept that there might be a good reason for it?

I completely agree with you, Nathaniel was outstanding in pre-season, when he played. What this says to me is that Antonio must be seeing stuff in training that he really doesn't like or else the lad must surely have had some minutes by now.

Being a Chelsea manager means high pressure,so even though we have the best youth in the world,our managers let players like Matic and Oscar play due to the fact that they have experience.Our managers will not risk giving a youth player a chance.

Christensen was ready two years ago,Mou did not want to take that risk to give him an unexperienced youth team player a  fair chance . Musonda was definitely good enough for a squad player role,neither did Mourinho nor Hiddink think so because they did not want to risk it.

We have so much quality in our youth,but it is kinda sad that we get coaches that do not want to take risks. Even Guardiola said that our youth is very good. We won the Youth League twice in a row with other players. Boga,Abraham,Musonda and Christensen are doing very well at their clubs,so the quality is there,but the manager that gives fair chances to players is not there. Kimpembe,a PSG youth player, said recently that he likes Emery because he treats and sees every player the same,which means that a players name and reputation does not affect Emery for his starting line up. That is something that Laurent Blanc lacked in the opinion of Kimpembe,so you can see that there is no real equality for youth players when you have a manager that  wants just short term success.

31 minutes ago, killer1257 said:

Being a Chelsea manager means high pressure,so even though we have the best youth in the world,our managers let players like Matic and Oscar play due to the fact that they have experience.Our managers will not risk giving a youth player a chance.

Christensen was ready two years ago,Mou did not want to take that risk to give him an unexperienced youth team player a  fair chance . Musonda was definitely good enough for a squad player role,neither did Mourinho nor Hiddink think so because they did not want to risk it.

We have so much quality in our youth,but it is kinda sad that we get coaches that do not want to take risks. Even Guardiola said that our youth is very good. We won the Youth League twice in a row with other players. Boga,Abraham,Musonda and Christensen are doing very well at their clubs,so the quality is there,but the manager that gives fair chances to players is not there. Kimpembe,a PSG youth player, said recently that he likes Emery because he treats and sees every player the same,which means that a players name and reputation does not affect Emery for his starting line up. That is something that Laurent Blanc lacked in the opinion of Kimpembe,so you can see that there is no real equality for youth players when you have a manager that  wants just short term success.

To be fair, Kimpembe will be dropped when Thiago Silva is back. On the other hand, about Chelsea situation ... I think job security is the main reason why our youth introduction is poor in recent years. I am sure that Conte wants to win something in his first year and bring us back in Champions league than we will see our youth players getting more minutes. We need stability first !

11 hours ago, killer1257 said:

Thanks for the response. Lots of stuff to get into here.

All managers are under pressure not just the ones here. Lots of managers lose their jobs all over the place season after season. When the results don't matter managers might give themselves a little more license but, when things are on the line, they select the players they believe are best able to get the result.

We do not have the best youth in the world. We have, recently, had the most successful youth team in England and arguably in Europe. That's not quite the same thing.

I say 'arguably' in Europe because, although we retained the UEFA youth league last season, our victory in the final against PSG had some good fortune about it . We started that game very brightly and should perhaps have been further ahead than we were by the time Paris came into the match. Once they did get a foothold in the game, they were much the better side. PSG should have levelled, and probably even won. They certainly created enough chances to have done so.

The best youth footballer in England currently plays for Manchester City, not for Chelsea. In any case look at how our players generally fare when they go out on loan. Many of them, most of them in fact, struggle to get minutes.

Jed Boga went to France and found himself kept out of the team by a younger, and clearly superior, player. Charlie Musonda went to Spain where he received rave reviews. Reviews which were, as I posted at the time, generally speaking a big over reaction to what he was actually producing on the pitch. I'll grant you that there was one outstanding display, the one with Wilmots watching from the stands, but other than that his efforts were goodish at best. On more than one occasion Charlie was just plain poor. It was not a huge surprise that, by the end of the season, he had played himself out of the Bettis starting lineup. Ahead of tomorrow night's game it is still true to say that Charlie has not yet played himself back into it.

I watched Andreas two seasons ago. I certainly didn't feel he was ready so I'm in no position to criticise anyone else who thought the same. Jose did select him by the way and he was poor. My point is, that I don't think any youth player has made a compelling case  for himself. 

1 hour ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Thanks for the response. Lots of stuff to get into here.

All managers are under pressure not just the ones here. Lots of managers lose their jobs all over the place season after season. When the results don't matter managers might give themselves a little more license but, when things are on the line, they select the players they believe are best able to get the result.

We do not have the best youth in the world. We have, recently, had the most successful youth team in England and arguably in Europe. That's not the same thing. I say 'arguably' in Europe because, although we retained the UEFA youth league last season, our victory in the final against PSG had some good fortune about it . We started that game very brightly and should probably have been further ahead than we were by the time Paris came into the match. Once they did get a foothold in the game, they were much the better side. They should have levelled and probably even won. They certainly created enough chances to have done so.

The best youth footballer in England currently plays for Manchester City, not for Chelsea. In any case look at how our players generally fare when they go out on loan. Many of them, most of them in fact, struggle to get minutes.

Jed Boga went to France and found himself kept out of the team by a younger, and clearly superior, player. Charlie Musonda went to Spain where he received rave reviews. Reviews which were, as I posted at the time, generally speaking a big over reaction to what he was actually producing on the pitch. I'll grant you that there was one outstanding display, the one with Wilmots was watching from the stands, but other than that his efforts were goodish at best. On more than one occasion were  just plain poor. It was not a huge surprise that, by the end of the season, Charlie had played himself out of the Bettis starting lineup. Ahead of tomorrow night's game it is still true to say that he has not yet played himself back into it.

I watched Andreas two seasons ago. I certainly didn't feel he was ready so I'm in no position to criticise anyone else who thought the same. Jose did select him by the way and he was poor. My point is, that I don't think any youth player has made a compelling case  for himself. 

The gulf between youth and senior is just too great - there has to be a better system, but for now we are stuck with what is on offer. 

Loans are definitely the only way to really test a player right now. 

I agree with your analysis - I think it's just the romance of it that makes people over-appreciate the players ability. 

I have no doubt though that we will produce a couple of outstanding players. 

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, ja1 said:

Finally made his debut 

Looked very solid and comfortable too. Hopefully he has more game time soon. The only reason he hasn't started earlier is because previous managers really messed up imo.