Nathaniel Chalobah

Clevemayer

Interview from Watford's HP!

COLNEY CHAT: "Learning As I Go"

Just 17, Nathaniel Chalobah is soaking up the many & varied experiences of the Championship...

Colney Chat - exclusive to watfordfc.com, direct from the Hornets' UCL London Colney training ground...

BEING a little taken aback by the size of Millwall skipper Danny Shittu on Tuesday night is the kind of stuff 17-year-old midfielder Nathaniel Chalobah is getting used to - and fast - as he continues to enjoy his loan spell with Gianfranco Zola's Hornets.

"I was a bit surprised in the first 10 minutes against Millwall when they were kicking it way over my head and I was like, 'Wow, the Championship is different every game'," he told watfordfc.com when looking back at Tuesday's stalemate and then ahead to the weekend's action.

"I was really scared when I saw Danny Shittu trying to get his team going!" joked the Chelsea academy product. "He's a very, very big lad."

No questioning Millwall's physical presence provided a different type of test - and it's a challenge Chalobah feels the Hornets can expect at Leeds United come the weekend.

"I'm looking forward to it - definitely," he enthused.

"I'm learning as I go but I know that I musn't do that at the expense of results for the team, for Watford. That's what is most important here. Anything I get out of the games on a personal level is good for me, but we're all here to do a good job for the club.

"There are challenges in every game you play and I'm sure Saturday will be different. Leeds have got a manager who has been there and done it in this division, and like us they are a team that wants to win every single game and where the three points really matter all the time."

It would seem that Chalobah and the footballing philosophy of Watford's Head Coach are ideally suited.

"We are sticking to the way the manager wants us to play and I'm really enjoying that. I've been surprised how many different styles there are in this division - and you get some quality individual players.

"We don't change the way we play. We try and improve every game, to do the same things but better of course.

"We all believe in what he's telling us and, as a group of players, you can feel that belief that we can deliver it on the pitch.

"It's great for me to be around this team. It's a great club to be at and I'm enjoying doing my best every time I play."

http://www.watfordfc.com/news/article/121108-colney-chat-chalobah-474510.aspx

Lol my old man is a Millwall fan so got him 60th Birthday hospitality package - we met Shittu and he is a big lad, but really nice guy too - chatted to my old man for ages and had a drink (soft) with us later on!

Top bloke in my book and I like Millwall, same Lion use and play in Blue :)

Apparently Watford had 3 games in a week? So Zola was rotating, not dropping.

Yeah he played for them midweek in a 0-0 draw but was rested for the weekend. From what I heard from a couple of Watford fans is that he is definite starter for them in normal conditions. That really says a lot, imo. For a 17yo to be starter in the championship especially in CM, he'd have to be something really special.

• 4 weeks later...