test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Clevemayer

Nathaniel Chalobah

Started by Clevemayer,

1,880 posts in this topic

My concern is about his physique. He's at level technically but he still looks like a 16 year old. Considering he's a bright future, I think it would be stupid to play him in Championship, we'll end up with a player with a lot of injuries at 28

He's already playing with elder players than him for years, next season there's the next gen CL. Until we could assess what the next gens really brings to the young players as it's a new tournament, we should keep our young players at the moment.

Not the Bertrands, Van Aanholt, maybe even Kalas and De Bruyne. I was thinking at Piazon, Chalobah, Kane and maybe even Josh... they shoudl stay and play this tournament

True, but would you not look at the case of Phil Jones as an optimistic case for Chalobah to have a successful loan period? Jones made his Blackburn debut literally as soon as he turned 18 against us of all teams. He did quite well in that season, didn't play a lot, but got enough exposure to learn and be reliable for Bburn the season after. His United move was rushed albeit, thrown straight into the deep-end.

But at Blackburn he made a successful impact & Allerdyce did well to use him sparingly.

But you cannot compare the like of Rooney, Barkley, Jones etc... You've seen their built ? They look like 22 years old at 17 or 18

Of course that if the player is ready at a young age he can play a part (not Wilshere's one to play an overall 60+ games a year). But with players such as Piazon or Chalobah and even McEachran who can show bright things in pro (as at Swansea or in pre-season for Chalobah), when they have to cope with the real rythm and pace of a Premier League game they show they aren't ready.

Josh was substitued early at Everton, Bruma had a torrid afternoon vs Villa (even if it was against such a powerfull forward Heskey is)

I agree, the physicality and the pace of the PL isn't designed for players like McE or Piazon to make immediate impacts. Would the Championship, therefore, not be a better stepping stone in progression? It doesn't necessarily mean they'd come back & be ready for the challenge of the PL, but the exposure would be less damaging should they fail to shine, no?

I am fully supportive of this, as I said in previous posts he is the brightest talent coming through our youth ranks, he has so much qualities and if we can enhance his learning potential it would definitely be to send him out on loan where he is going to have first team opportunities. Despite Chalobah's young age and being 2 years younger than Mce he is well suited to a championship team IMO. He looks very young still, but he has quite brilliant posture. Even when he started a couple friendlies for us last pre-season, he looked quite decent. Him being the youngest in the England U19 squad, has helped them reach the final and rarely looks out of place in reserves

To sum up, whilst he is very young and he is almost certain to be a future Chelsea star, if he can experience first team football at a level of the championship that will do him wonders, as he is way past the quality of youth level and this would be a much needed step up rather than reserves.

However as, RDM is aware of if we send him out on loan to a championship team, we have to make sure he will get playing time as a lost year sitting on the bench will prove costly, however I hope a move does happen as I believe he is ready for a crack at this level

I agree, the physicality and the pace of the PL isn't designed for players like McE or Piazon to make immediate impacts. Would the Championship, therefore, not be a better stepping stone in progression? It doesn't necessarily mean they'd come back & be ready for the challenge of the PL, but the exposure would be less damaging should they fail to shine, no?

Championship is hardly any better when it comes to physicality. What SeB is suggesting is that playing against grown professionals at this age might not be a good idea.

Every time i've seen Nathaniel play he looks like he can go a long way whether its for the Chelsea Youth or England youngsters. Can play CB or CDM very competently. So many youngsters go through the net without much of a chance. This guy won't be one of em. I agree that he'll surpass Josh. The only thing that can stop this happening is us signing everyone like we seem to be trying to do ....

We're an English team, we need to keep producing these young players or we'll pay for it in the future. He's one of our best 'home grown' prospects. The loan is what he needs and i hope he has a really successful one. Routing for this lad to be a real future hit. Hopefully in Chelsea blue.

I've missed most of the Under 19's but when i've seen him, he just looks so comfortable and makes so many right decisions.

What about a loan elsewhere in Europe? If Chelsea would agree with you, SeB, on his physique but do think he should play regularly then they could ponder a loan to Holland. Technically wise you can hardly find better competitions for players to develop.

However, I think his physique is ok. Black players (not being racist) are usually more athletic and full grown at a young age (see for example Lukaku). Of course Chalobah is more built like Ramires, but Ramires is also a though, athletic player.

that would be good move for Nathaniel. he`ll get coached by Zola..

yeah i know entirely different kind of players but NC could be taught some useful ball control skills and there`s no one in history i`ve seen whose better at close range free kicks than Zola with his superb skill of being able to get a free kick up over the wall and then back down and usually in the net than him. i think we need to develop players with as many useful skills as possible and we have lost a little in the free kick department with drogba gone and Lampard in the twilight years of his career.

zolayes and Muzchap like this

Trust me, Nathaniel Chalobah is NOT underrated by anyone at CFC. The difference between Piazon and Chalobah is that Piazon has a bit more maturity in his play that Chalobah, Chalobah can dominte games, but sometimes when 1 - 0 down playing holding midfield he will try a flick or back heel and lose possesion rather than do the simple thing. Piazon will always do what is needed, if he feels he can make a run he will do, but if it is not on he will hold the ball up and look for the best pass. That is why i beleive Piazon is closer to the first team that Chalobah.

Take nothing away from Chalobah though he is bloody awesome, think more and more his best position is the holding role, could be a legend there if he continues in the same development.

Well it seems like the club agree that Chalobah is closer, and rightfully so.

Watford Talk ‏@Watford_Rumours

@ChelseaActivity Very composed, strong, played the ball well. If you didn't know him you'd say his natural position was CM. Fantastic.

zolayes likes this

Watford Talk ‏@Watford_Rumours

@ChelseaActivity Very composed, strong, played the ball well. If you didn't know him you'd say his natural position was CM. Fantastic.

it is possible CM will be his best position ,,,worried about things at Watford ,,Zola needs time

it is possible CM will be his best position ,,,worried about things at Watford ,,Zola needs time

I would say as time went on his best position was midfield. He is able to influence the game better there and he can be a big influence. I would keep him in that position now, he is a big talent and all he needs now is to mature more and this loan and any future loans will do just that.

zolayes likes this