Nathaniel Chalobah

Clevemayer

Another season or two? Why?

Why not throw the kid in at the deep end next season and challenge a young, talented, mature young man to swim? I know our policy has been to farm young kids out and that's been a massive success so far, but why not just trust our academy?

I totally agree.We have to believe in our new generation of youngstars,because some of them have a lot of potential.Look at Wilshere or at Cleverley.They both had one successful loan and then they came back to their club,where they became important players for their team.Chalobah for example is ready for Chelsea.Age is only a number!If you are good enough to play regularly for a top team you are ready,even if you are still young.Messi was 19,when he became a starter for Barcelona,so I don´t think that age is that important.I know that experience is in some matches important,but should we really wait til Chalobah is 24 ?The worst case scenario is that we will buy in that time,where Chalobah is on loan ,a top class midfielder and then we will ruin Chalobah´s Chelsea career.I don´t want to see that. I have a lot of trust in him and I am convinced that he can become a starter for Chelsea next year.

Another season or two? Why?

Why not throw the kid in at the deep end next season and challenge a young, talented, mature young man to swim? I know our policy has been to farm young kids out and that's been a massive success so far, but why not just trust our academy?

Because he has to be prepared carefully to be able to really compete at Chelsea, at the highest level possible. He may be a nice rotational player but seriously, would you really throw a 20-years-old into a CL semi final vs the likes of Barcelona and Bayern?

Let him gain experience and playing time the next 2 years and we'll see if he is ready to challenge for a spot in our first-11 then.

Because he has to be prepared carefully to be able to really compete at Chelsea, at the highest level possible. He may be a nice rotational player but seriously, would you really throw a 20-years-old into a CL semi final vs the likes of Barcelona and Bayern?

Let him gain experience and playing time the next 2 years and we'll see if he is ready to challenge for a spot in our first-11 then.

he has JUST turned 18

Age is just one factor that you have to look at and players don't all mature at the same speed. This kid has looked more than comfortable at Championship level so why not try him at the next one.

Would I throw him into the CL Semis? Weird question. If he's in contention at that point in April then he must've been doing well in the 8 months leading up to it otherwise why would it even be a question?? I would play him in the CL Group stages against one of the weaker sides for sure.

Let's be honest - there is no uniform way of preparing a kid for 1st team football. Our last great prospect had 6 games on loan at Nottingham Forest before being thrown into the first-team aged 20 - was John Terry unprepared for the rigours of 1st team football because he didn't get a chance at a Premier League team like Gael Kakuta and Michael Mancienne did?

Chalobah is the best academy product since JT. He will absolutely be a future first-team player, i'm sure. He's growing into a superb young box-to-box player at Watford and the club obviously have very high hopes for him. He'll either stay at Watford and play PL next year on loan, or they'll loan him to a PL club in January (probably less likely). Talk of Chelsea first-team is probably a bit premature, he's only 18, there's no rush. He's going to be the future captain of Chelsea, i've no doubt.

Age is just one factor that you have to look at and players don't all mature at the same speed. This kid has looked more than comfortable at Championship level so why not try him at the next one.

Would I throw him into the CL Semis? Weird question. If he's in contention at that point in April then he must've been doing well in the 8 months leading up to it otherwise why would it even be a question?? I would play him in the CL Group stages against one of the weaker sides for sure.

Let's be honest - there is no uniform way of preparing a kid for 1st team football. Our last great prospect had 6 games on loan at Nottingham Forest before being thrown into the first-team aged 20 - was John Terry unprepared for the rigours of 1st team football because he didn't get a chance at a Premier League team like Gael Kakuta and Michael Mancienne did?

So has Raheem Sterling.

There's no rule, yeah. But people tend to only think about football skills. He may appear mature on the pitch but psychologically he still has to gain experience.

As I said, the difference between playing for Watford and Chelsea is a huge difference, no matter how you look at it. You'd be an idiot if you'd deny that.

Yes, Terry was unprepared and the club took a gamble but that gamble wasn't anywhere near as big as a possible one with Chalobah. I think it's unfair to even compare those two, as the situations are completely different. Chelsea weren't competing for every title by that time JT was introduced, but we are now. That's why Liverpool can afford to play such a young talent. Much less pressure both on him and the club.

Chalobah is the best academy product since JT. He will absolutely be a future first-team player, i'm sure. He's growing into a superb young box-to-box player at Watford and the club obviously have very high hopes for him. He'll either stay at Watford and play PL next year on loan, or they'll loan him to a PL club in January (probably less likely). Talk of Chelsea first-team is probably a bit premature, he's only 18, there's no rush. He's going to be the future captain of Chelsea, i've no doubt.

Absolutely agree, I just don't know if he will be captain one day (many variables need to go his way until it happens). I have no doubts he will be a very good player for CFC though.

Chelsea weren't competing for every title by that time JT was introduced, but we are now.

In the season before John Terry started playing in the Chelsea first-team, we finished 5th.

Last year we finished 6th.

I know every single reason why we should take time with youngsters like McEachran (not physically ready) and Bamford or Kane (never likely to be good enough) - I just don't think they pertain to this particular youngster.

Absolutely agree, I just don't know if he will be captain one day (many variables need to go his way until it happens). I have no doubts he will be a very good player for CFC though.

Obviously you're right, it's not a certainty, but i've got a good feeling about it. He's a natural leader. He's captained at both Youth and Reserve level for us, as well as captaining the England U17s at the age of 15, as well as also being the current U19 captain. He's got the pedigree, there's no question.

In the season before John Terry started playing in the Chelsea first-team, we finished 5th.

Last year we finished 6th.

I know every single reason why we should take time with youngsters like McEachran (not physically ready) and Bamford or Kane (never likely to be good enough - I just don't think they pertain to this particular youngster.

Seriously? Do you really want to compare those two sides? Chelsea is a completely different club compared to the one when JT became a first team player.

Well, then we have to agree to disagree ;)

Seriously? Do you really want to compare those two sides? Chelsea is a completely different club compared to the one when JT became a first team player.

Well, then we have to agree to disagree ;)

Yes seriously. The season before we finished third - I remember being excited about us pushing for the title because I was there.

Now like I've said, I know all the arguments for taking time with player development except most of that's based on me following Chelsea all my life and we don't really develop players. So what exactly is Chalobah missing from his game to be included in our first-team, because in my humble opinion he isn't missing anything except a little bit of fitness.

David Luiz' move to midfield may actually have improved Chalobah's future with the club because it means the club won't have to go out and spend in January or the summer on an expensive transfer. Romeu will return in the summer, Essien maybe, so there's depth there if Roman can keep his finger off the panic button through 2013/14. Mikel will likely move on at some point and Essien's deal will be up after next season so 2014 would be the right time for Chalobah to get into the first team.

I agree with almost all of that (not too bothered that he's with Zola if I'm honest) but I'd be more inclined to bring him back next season and include him in the first-team. He's not like Mancienne or Bruma who you look at and think they need more time - he has that gift to slow the game down that you're either born with or you're not.

Yes, my preference would be to bring him back here as well. What I was suggesting was that, as is typical of Chelsea, if players were to be bought for large sums in his position then I would much rather he went back to Watford where he could play consistently rather than rotting on a bench with a manager too scared to play him for fear of the inevitable sack.