Jack Rodwell joins Manchester City

the wes

Chelsea refuse to shelve their interest for Everton teenager Jack Rodwell.

The Independent says Chelsea have made their first significant move since their transfer embargo was suspended by making a preliminary £14m offer for the Everton teenager Jack Rodwell, which has been rejected by the Merseyside club.

In the past Chelseafootball chief Frank Arnesen has signed much younger, less well-knownplayers from the academies of clubs such as Leeds United, SheffieldUnited, Feyenoord and, infamously, Lens from whom they signed GaëlKakuta, but this is the first time they have made a move for a moreestablished young player. Daniel Sturridge, 20, had played only fivetimes for City before he joined Chelsea on a free transfer in the summer.

Rodwell is regarded as a much safer bet than Sturridge, who has failed to make any impression so far at Chelsea.Rodwell is advised by his father Malcolm, and the licensed agent MickMcGuire, formerly the deputy chief executive of the ProfessionalFootballers' Association.

The Independent

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read it this morning. Heard Everton only wanted to sell him for a fee of 18 million quid, wich is way too much imo.

And about Sturridge, how much chances did he really get to prove himself? I ain't so sure about the fact if Rodwell is going to perform better than Sturridge. Besides, he is a midfielder, what do we need that for xD?

Read it this morning. Heard Everton only wanted to sell him for a fee of 18 million quid, wich is way too much imo.

And about Sturridge, how much chances did he really get to prove himself? I ain't so sure about the fact if Rodwell is going to perform better than Sturridge. Besides, he is a midfielder, what do we need that for xD?

Essien and Mikel missing for AFCUP, secondly, Lampard 31, Ballack 33, Belleti 33, Deco 32 + impending banfor next two transfer windows, if we dont buy a young midfielder by the time we buy one thats 2011, Lampard 33, Balack 35, Belleti 35 and Deco 34.

Id say, get Dzagoev and Rodwell to go with Essien and Mikel for the future.

Mikel and Rodwell would compete for DF MF and Dzagoev, Essien and Lampard for Attacking MF. Add to that couple of academy players like Mellis, Cork, Matic....

Well, that may be a point, but i see him going the way, all our talent is going at the moment. And that is, mainly playing youth & reserve games.

And don't you think 14 million pounds or more is a bit too much for an 18-year old?

Besides, Ancelotti is exactly reknown for letting younger players play much in the first team...

Edited by Blueboy

I agree 18 million is steep but the potential benefit overshadows any price tag. plus old monk is right, the time is now to buy young established players so we can bring them in to replace the old dogs.

Don't we have enough young players in our academy already that can replace the old dogs? I'm not so sure if he's worth the money, especially when you look at how much playing time our previous purchased talents are getting...

I can certainly see the benefits of signing some young talent for the midfield, and especially English talent given the new PL rules. However you do have to be very careful when spending a lot of money on young players, it is a big risk. We have Mikel, Essien and Matic who are long term players, plus youngsters of the likes of Cork, but i can certainly see Ancelotti looking at the midfield with 1 eye on the future.

• 9 months later...

It doesn't means Rodwell does not want to come...

Look at what happened to Dan Gosling.  :pwned:

Mods, close this thread now. I guarantee 100% Moyes will not be selling Jack Rodwell in the near future.

It doesn't means Rodwell does not want to come...

Look at what happened to Dan Gosling. :pwned:

Gosling was out of contract and not offered a written one by Everton hence he moved on a Bosman. Rodwell just signed a new 5 year contract with Everton at the end of last season. How are the two cases similar?

• 2 weeks later...

The other one was closed. Here is the update: Fergie is a fucking devil.

Why we never made a move for the lad blows my damn mind, sure we picked up Ramires, but Rodwell developing along with our youth team would be nuclear warfare. UEFA would have to step in change the whole game around, because we would absolutely crush every single god damn team on this planet. Not to mention that Rodwell would 10000% surely become Chelsea's youth developing captain.

Fuck You Ferg. FYF!!