Chelsea vs Burnley

BlueLion.

Chelsea vs Burnley

chelseahome.png VS burnleyhome.png

The FA Premier League, Saturday 29th August, 2009, Stamford Bridge - 12:45 PM Kick-off

Chelsea host Burnley as they look to continue their sound start to the new Premier League season.

Owen Coyles' side pulled off the most remarkable of upsets last season, when, in a Carling Cup fixture, the Clarets knocked out Luiz Felipe Scolari's side on penalty kicks after a 1-1 draw after extra-time. Chelsea will be looking to avenge last season's poor showing with a dominant display - and after the coin throwing incident in this fixture last term, I wonder what the odds on a Didier Drogba hat-trick are?

Match chat here - C'MON THE BLUES!

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After their last couple of results we will not be underestimating Burnley.....

Hopefully Burnley will be on a high and may try and take the game to us, we will then be able to open them up far more easily.

Burnley will make it hard for us but we most certainly can brush them aside if we approach it in the right way.

Yeah that's true, a pundit said that we'll have better away days than at home because teams will park the bus more like Hull did but as Esk said I think they'll be on a high so hopefully it will play into our hands.

I'm going to the game :D

The first thing that came to me when I realised we were playing them this week (I thought it was next week) was Hull City last season.

Hull got off to a flyer in the league and then faced us. Alot of people were expecting a tough game, but we thumped them 4-0. I'm hoping to see something similar happen here.

They'll be up for another scalp, but as Aesthetic says they will get a reality check. 3-0, 3-1 I predict.

They used to be in the top flight -one of the first games ever went to - they had Ralph Coates who had a more laughable comb over than Bobby Charlton

I think they will definitely pile on the pressure and try and scare us. We;ve just got to hold on to our nerve and believe in ourselves. It looks as though that Drogba and Anelka worked well together yesterday, surely this is what need for furture matches? I suppose it depends on the formation that Ancelotti chooses for each match?

I hope sheva plays at some point in this match he needs more confidence and thats not going to happen if he's just sitting on the bench for every match

I hope not. I'd rather see Sturridge on than Sheva.

This might only be Burnley, but I went to the carling cup tie last year, and Lampard couldn't hit a cow with a gatling gun!

And with Burnley beating both United and Everton, two teams who were in the top 5 last season, you know this one is going to be tough.

prediction: Chelsea 2-1 Burnley

Drogba to get a couple with any luck to avenge what happened last season :D I just hope Ancelotti and the team don't underestimate Burnley, but I'm hoping their results over United and Everton will show them not to.

Drogba to get a couple with any luck to avenge what happened last season :D I just hope Ancelotti and the team don't underestimate Burnley, but I'm hoping their results over United and Everton will show them not to.

Without doubt they will not underestimate Burnley, Ancelotti has already mentioned Burnley a couple of times in press conferences and i am sure he will have studied very closely their games so far this season. It will be a tough game for sure...

I think this is going to be tougher than most make it out here. They like to play a 4-1-4-1 so Lampard will be tightley marked. Essien will be DM and I expect him to make forward runs. None of there players really scare me apart from Steven Fletcher, Any mistake around the 6 yard box and he will make you pay, Done it in the Scottish league all the time. Lampard will be marked so Essien going forward will be vital. If we get the ball out wide and send crosses in Drogba is more than a match for there defence, I don't think we should start Anelka as he is a striker that balls on the last shoulder and we send through balls in, I think Burnley are going to defend deep. I'd like to see Sheva starting for his natural instinct and finishing. If we send deep balls in Drogba can score. For me the key in winning this is how the mark Lampard and Michael Essien. My predicted team

Cech

Bosingwa - Terry - Ivanovic - Cole

- Essien -

Kalou - Malouda

- Lampard -

Drogba - Shevchenko

All in all I think we won't break the deadlock until the 50ish minute, then Drogba hitting 2 and Lampard scoring from the spot.

Prediction : Chelsea 3-0 Burnley