blueboy9

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have we got enough to win the series? If we pull off a series win in England, with this ragtag bunch of a team, then it will be the finest achievement since the 1996 World Cup win, by a massive distance. drool.gif

On the other hand, both England and Sri Lanka currently have their worst teams since 1996.

india won't even come close to how well sri lanka are doing

Perhaps, but I'm excited all the same. Can't help it; I'm still a complete romantic when it comes to Test cricket and the morning of the first day of an overseas tour of England has me all giddy like Wenger in the free transfer market.

At least we've shown some balls with the team selection this time, no more flogging a dead horse (Zak). Looking forward to watching Bhuvi and Shami. I wonder if Ishant Sharma's show in NZ will be enough to get him the nod over Aaron. I'd have preferred Ojha over Jadeja for the Tests. Pleased Gambhir is in the fold, he's probably earned one last shot. Kohli-Pujara will have to be the fulcrum of the side since Dhoni, Raina, Rohit and Jadeja are deadweights with the bat in these conditions.

All India need to do is outbat England. Runs on the board puts big pressure on England and they just can't cope, which is why mediocre bowlers like Mathews and Prasad have been ripping through. There's no technical faults with England's batsman, they're just massively down on confidence and have developed a liking for playing loose shots often.

Liam Plunkett should be court martialed for what he did with the last ball of the day. Terrible batting.

Perhaps, but I'm excited all the same. Can't help it; I'm still a complete romantic when it comes to Test cricket and the morning of the first day of an overseas tour of England has me all giddy like Wenger in the free transfer market.

At least we've shown some balls with the team selection this time, no more flogging a dead horse (Zak). Looking forward to watching Bhuvi and Shami. I wonder if Ishant Sharma's show in NZ will be enough to get him the nod over Aaron. I'd have preferred Ojha over Jadeja for the Tests. Pleased Gambhir is in the fold, he's probably earned one last shot. Kohli-Pujara will have to be the fulcrum of the side since Dhoni, Raina, Rohit and Jadeja are deadweights with the bat in these conditions.

raina is picked? incredible. jadeja will be sacrificed for a 3rd seamer surely. can't bat can't bowl overseas. i think if Rahane and Rohit support Kohli and Pujara, the batting might just hold up. still pessimistic though. 3-0 or 4-0 again

raina is picked? incredible. jadeja will be sacrificed for a 3rd seamer surely. can't bat can't bowl overseas. i think if Rahane and Rohit support Kohli and Pujara, the batting might just hold up. still pessimistic though. 3-0 or 4-0 again

Raina Dhawan

Oh and we also have Murali Vijay :wank2:

One thing that England have going in their favour is the length of the series. India aren't experienced or good enough to dominate for five tests away from home (not that there's any disgrace about that - currently nobody in the world is). The advantage Sri Lanka have is that it is only two tests, we only needed to show up once and count on England to implode for the other test. India can't do that.

I think England will win the series if Cook is dropped. Forget the captaincy debate, he's plainly not good enough to get into the team as a batsman. Even if, as in the case of Mathews, a player is captain in name only (Jayawardene calls the shots, this is especially apparent in limited overs matches), they have to be able to lead by example. It's more important they do that than get their tactics right, being inspirational through sheer weight of runs or wickets. Look at Allan Border and Javed Miandad, for example. Neither were the best of tacticians but both inspired their players so much by virtue of the fact that they were the best batsmen of the 80s not named Sir Viv Richards.

I wouldn't write off England just yet in this test. They're not going to win, that much is virtually certain, but they have a fair chance of a draw. Still got Root, Moeen, and Prior to come; as well as Jordan and Broad who can hang around indefinitely. And our attack, Herath aside, is fucking popgun stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

The weather forecast for the first Test looks very iffy. Going to be plenty of rain delays. Our climate is even more temperamental than usual. Just yesterday it went from hail to sunshine in the space of five minutes up in the Midlands.

The weather forecast for the first Test looks very iffy. Going to be plenty of rain delays. Our climate is even more temperamental than usual. Just yesterday it went from hail to sunshine in the space of five minutes up in the Midlands.

Win toss and bowl, mate?

Wow. Trent Bridge is my home ground - I'm a huge Notts fan and have missed only one domestic game there this season, and that was a Twenty20. The wicket has been brilliant since abut mid-June, and has offered a lot to both batsman and bowler. This, though, is the flattest wicket I've ever seen on Day 1 at Trent Bridge.

Wow. Trent Bridge is my home ground - I'm a huge Notts fan and have missed only one domestic game there this season, and that was a Twenty20. The wicket has been brilliant since abut mid-June, and has offered a lot to both batsman and bowler. This, though, is the flattest wicket I've ever seen on Day 1 at Trent Bridge.

yeah. looks flat

120-3 not bad from India but one more wicket and England are into the tail. Dhoni can't be classified as a batsman overseas