Barcelona vs Chelsea

BlueLion.

Barcelona vs Chelsea

Tuesday 28 April 2009, Champions League Semi Final, First Leg, Camp Nou, 1945 KO

0,,10268~5796174,00.jpg

Chelsea head to Barcelona to face the La Liga leaders in the Champions League.

The last time the two sides met, Didier Drogba scored a stunning last-minute equaliser to hand Chelsea a deserved 2-2 draw at the Camp Nou, after the same player had scored a wonderful winning goal in the home match in the 2006/07 Champions League group phase. Last season's finalists have been phenomenal in Europe; defeating Juventus and Liverpool with performances that will go down in Blues folklore, but tournament favourites Barcelona are in stunning form and will test Chelsea to the man.

Match chat here.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didier-Drogba-Chelsea-Cha-001.jpg
Drogba expects more from Chelsea side
Chelsea striker Didier Drogba expects the current Chelsea side to prosper and perform even better then the current form that Hiddink has put us in. He said that this side has what it will take to overcome European in-form giants Barcelona on Tuesday at the Nou Camp, Spain. Drogba has be rejuvenated since the arrival of Interim manager Guus Hiddink having scored nine goals out of the twelve matches that he has featured in so far, he will without doubt be a big asset for us if we are to reach Rome for the UEFA Champions League final 2009.

Edited by ChelseaBoi

These first legged away matches are tricky because you dont really know what you want. If we lose, we'll be under pressure and with Barca's speed and class they could pick us apart at the bridge on the counter. A draw is great because both sides will know a win in the second leg will do, it'll be treated like a one legged match in a way. A win tho can be dodgy like the liverpool game showed. We'll think "what do we do?" Whatever result we get on Tuesday, the 2nd leg will be very tough because Barca's players are capable of producing moments of brilliance from anywhere with their passing and movement and individual ability. We have to keep it tight at the back to give us the best chances. Barca at the back arent great and we need to exploit that weakness of theirs when we get chances to. We cant waste big chances like Drogs vs Liverpool in the first leg.

watched valencia v barca last night & barca`s defence defo looks vunerable.2-2away draw for me.

Watched that as well Frank -wish I shared your optimism. There seems to be an obsession with Messi in the Chelsea camp -whilst he is clear and present danger -I'd be just as concerned about Xavi, Iniesta, Alves. I'll be happy if theres a one goal deficit for the return leg.....:(

Whilst we are looking at their players with an edge of fear, if Barca are not doing the same with our players (Drogba, Lampard, Essein, JT, Cech.......) then they will certainly underestimate them. They are massively hyped up, and some of that is clearly justified, but they are not unbeatable. The same things were said when we knocked them out a few seasons ago.

We shall not forget that they haven´t been tested this Champions League season.

They had a weakend Lyon side, which did alright against them. And Bayern Munich (they sacked their manager today).

And now look at us : we took a spirited Juventus side out and kicked Liverpool out, the so called strongest team in Europe.

So, we have some reason to be confident. We have a great squad and a forward who is ready to cruise through every defense which dares to appear on the pitch.

Over the whole Messi hype we shouldn´t forget our defenders.

And I think Hiddink is smarter than everyone else in the CL this year.

He outsmarted Rafa and Claudio.

Keep the faith

IF we lose Barca deserve to be Champions.

Whilst we are looking at their players with an edge of fear, if Barca are not doing the same with our players (Drogba, Lampard, Essein, JT, Cech.......) then they will certainly underestimate them. They are massively hyped up, and some of that is clearly justified, but they are not unbeatable. The same things were said when we knocked them out a few seasons ago.

Spot fucking On Esk...

A single goal deficit would do, provided we score.. but i'll put my money on a high scoring draw.. B)

2-2 for me.

Its all about Barca and Messi. No one is talking about Drogba and Lampard and Essien. We have the best defense in Europe.

Puyol couldnt handle Valencia strikers, so you can imagine what Drogba can do to him in his current form.

I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of the blues fails, when we forsake our teammates and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of woes and shattered dreams, when the age of blues comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this great team, I bid you "stand, Men of the Bridge!"

Lord of the rings :P

Edited by bombayblue™

I am very excited going into this game. It is one of those truly unpredictable games. A 2 - 1 defeat out in Barcelona would not be terrible for us. If we can come away from there with a win it would be incredible. But i have a feeling that we will see a 2 - 2 draw for us tonight, which would obviously be a great result.