Maicon

the wes

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think anyone here is saying Maicon is shit or anything and I'm sure he would do one hell of a job for us but only for a couple years and then he'd just leave with no re-sale value.

At first I was quite against this myself but I'm slowly warming up to the idea of having him at Chelsea. For the prices quoted (£6m and £80k wages) we could do a lot worse, but I also believe it could be invested more wisely too. If he comes, I'm okay with that but if we decide to go after another target I wouldn't complain either.

To all you who are sceptic:

To bring in someone like Maicon is smart because we still have a world class RB who is still 100%. If we buy a young talent his development might be hindered due to not enough playtime. Realize that noone can take Ivanovic's place at the moment and we wouldnt be able to throw in a young guy in a game when he's been on the bench too much.

A guy like Maicon would with his experience and greatness have no problems with stepping in. Going for a young talent (wether its one from our own acadamy or not) is a better move when Iva's time is coming to an end so that a new RB can be given enough playtime.

And regarding Maicon's high wages, we have already released Bosingwa and are likely to let Ferreira leave. That will save around £100k pw which is likely to more than cover Maicon's wages.

Maicon or Bosingwa/Ferreira - I know which I would rather have!

Could be good signing but also he could be massive flop ( well not massive if we are talking about 8M ).

I would still prefer Samuel Hutchinson as a backup for Brano.

Could be good signing but also he could be massive flop ( well not massive if we are talking about 8M ).

I would still prefer Samuel Hutchinson as a backup for Brano.

Hutch can't be relied upon. He suffers from a similar degenerative knee problem that Ledley King has. With Ivanovic providing cover at centre back, a second right back is likely to play 30+ games in a season, á la Bosingwa. Hutch cannot cope with that workload.

What the fuck is this? :D

Is that you?

Hutch can't be relied upon. He suffers from a similar degenerative knee problem that Ledley King has. With Ivanovic providing cover at centre back, a second right back is likely to play 30+ games in a season, á la Bosingwa. Hutch cannot cope with that workload.

I got your point but who knows, he came back from retirement so maybe something turned over. But I would still give Hutch a try because I just love this lad.

Oh come on guys. Are you actually comparing the Maicon situation to Zola & Maka?!

Okay fair play to Maka because everyone knew how good he was at Real, but Zola?! Yea fine people knew he was good but it's not as if he was an established name when we signed him was he? Maicon was one of the, if not THE, best right back in the world. Yes it looks attractive when we say he's only £6million, but he's not going to be a rotation player, he's going to be our first choice right-back. He comes with a name & reputation. I just don't understand why he's got to be that stop gap between youth an experience - Which I agree we need an accurate balance of.

There are better right-back options out there who come in around the same price range. Our best right-back prospect is Todd Kane (18) and Billy Clifford (19). So Maicon isn't really that good of a filler at 31 because by the time he's 33/34 we're still lacking another gap. A player like Debuchy (this only for an example sake) is 26. That's the right age for the player we need to help that transition. Okay so maybe he'll cost £3-4million more but his wages would be considerably less and rotation with himself an Ivanovic would work a lot better imo.

Like I said, I hope I'm wrong and Maicon exceeds what I expect (should we sign him), I simply suggest there's better alternatives out there.

I don't think anyone here is saying Maicon is shit or anything and I'm sure he would do one hell of a job for us but only for a couple years and then he'd just leave with no re-sale value.

At first I was quite against this myself but I'm slowly warming up to the idea of having him at Chelsea. For the prices quoted (£6m and £80k wages) we could do a lot worse, but I also believe it could be invested more wisely too. If he comes, I'm okay with that but if we decide to go after another target I wouldn't complain either.

This is what I mean ^ (the bolded parts) & I also accept your points that I didn't highlight.

I disagree, at most clubs Cahill would be better than a backup CB but for us that is what he will be, im sure he will still get plenty of games as we have alot of football to play next season so there will be alot of rotating, but Luiz - Terry will surley be our 1st choice CB pairing.

Cahill isn't a back-up. Just sayin'.

He will get many games, RDM rotates the squad to keep it fresh, i'm sure he will get games to prove his worth.

How can you possibly come to the conclusion that Di Matteo uses a squad rotation system? During his spell as interim manager, he had to make do with a tiring squad, and changed the line-up to keep it fresh as we were entering the second half of the season. Just because he rotated the squad then - don't forget we were also involved in numerous competitions late in the season - doesn't mean he'll do it from the beginning of the forthcoming season.

not really! everyone thought Pirlo was finished because of injuries and his age, but in actual fact he is still class and can still run the show in midfield nothing to do with experience! and why can't you expect Maicon to get up and down the flank at the age of 30??? the guy is an athlete! he still has a good 3 years minimum left in him to be bombing up and down the right flank. Look at Dani Alves and Ashely Cole! he is actually at a good age! with bags of quality and experience, the guy will be in great shape! you cant say you cant expect someone to be able to run because they reach 30! Pirlo and our very own Ashley Cole has proved that theory wrong!

So, what you're saying is that Pirlo's ability has nothing to do with experience? Give me a break.

And regarding Maicon's high wages, we have already released Bosingwa and are likely to let Ferreira leave. That will save around £100k pw which is likely to more than cover Maicon's wages.

Maicon or Bosingwa/Ferreira - I know which I would rather have!

Don't think we're gonna let Ferreira leave, not this summer anyway. He's on last year of his contract and is already 34, even if we were to sell him, at most we can get is 1-2 million. Think the club will keep him and let him see out his contract. Besides, Ferreira can be a useful squad player when neeeded. Regarding the wages, think Ferreira is only like on 50-60k p/w or maybe even less than that! Get your point on letting other players go, thus clearing up wage bil for Maicon but seriously, even if he's still a useful player, 80k p/w is just too much for a 31 year old. We should be offering lower than that to him and use that difference instead oo a younger transfer purchase.

I got your point but who knows, he came back from retirement so maybe something turned over. But I would still give Hutch a try because I just love this lad.

Can't take any risk until we're 100% certain that Hutchinson recovers from his injury problems. IF we go with just Ivanovic, Hutchinson and Ferreira, then we'll be screwed IF injuries and suspensions kick in. Our defence last season was almost threadbare with Cahill and Luiz out injured and Terry having to play every 3-4 days with a rib injury.

I'm not sure if this one has been raised up but Maicon could also play as right wing with Iva at RB right? It is like Ash and Ryan on the left during the CL finals. But people might disagree because we could be playing more of an attacking system next season but Maicon is not bad as an attacking option in the right and at the same time cover some holes left by our attacking system. I'm not saying he could be our first choice RW but this will show you his versatility, just saying.

How can you possibly come to the conclusion that Di Matteo uses a squad rotation system? During his spell as interim manager, he had to make do with a tiring squad, and changed the line-up to keep it fresh as we were entering the second half of the season. Just because he rotated the squad then - don't forget we were also involved in numerous competitions late in the season - doesn't mean he'll do it from the beginning of the forthcoming season.

We're going to have a lot of games this season, i highly doubt we're going to have the same squad week in week out.

Cahill isn't a back-up. Just sayin'.

Yes he is. He is 3rd choice CB! could even be 4th Choice if Maicon can take the RB position and Ivanovic puts in some good performances at CB, it would push Cahill down even further.

So, what you're saying is that Pirlo's ability has nothing to do with experience? Give me a break.

No im saying the reason why Pirlo was so good last season wasn't because he has alot of experience but due to the fact that he is a quality player and has been for most of his career! He hasn't just suddenly become a quality player because he has alot of experience! :doh:

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You