Aston Villa vs Chelsea

BlueLion.

GUUS HIDDINK has given the first glimpse of his blueprint for Chelsea success.

At an open training session yesterday, the new Stamford Bridge boss dropped a hint of how he intends to get the Blues’ stumbling season back on track.

He also addressed 5,000 fans like an old pro, telling them: “I’m not here to entertain you. But it’s my job to make the players entertain you.”

After some of the dross which has been seen at the Bridge this season, an hour with the Dutchman felt like carnival time.

Mostly kids on half-term break, the crowd cheered their favourite players’ better touches and the ad-hoc comedy routine provided by Ray Wilkins’ warm-up.

For the more observant, there was a clue as to just how Hiddink intends to change the team, as well as a defensive scare ahead of the weekend.

Brazilian stopper Alex missed the session because of an ankle injury, giving the new manager a possible crisis at the back for Saturday’s trip to Aston Villa.

Left-back Ashley Cole is suspended while Ricardo Carvalho’s hamstring injury means he is still not in full training.

Hiddink did nothing to hide his contingency plans, playing Paulo Ferreira at left-back in a practice match. :thumbsup:

Michael Mancienne also swapped places with Branislav Ivanovic to partner John Terry during the 30-minute game.

More significant though was the change in shape and formation of the team Hiddink clearly considers his first choice.

With fourth-placed Chelsea gunning for third-placed Villa, it seems the manager is pinning his hopes on a 4-4-2.

Didier Drogba and Nicolas Anelka played as striking partners.

A little further back, John Obi Mikel traded places with Deco, who then anchored a midfield diamond, with Michael Ballack and Frank Lampard deployed just ahead and wide of him. :woo:

Advertisement

Watching carefully from the touchline was none other than Roman Abramovich.

After reports that the Chelsea owner has lost around £6billion of his personal fortune, he seems to be finding solace in football.

Hiddink said: “I hope to make a very good end of this season. We need your support. I’ll give you everything I have to make the team work.”

The PA announcer also tried to lighten the mood.

He quipped: “Arsene Wenger is planting potatoes in the Emirates’ goalmouth so he’ll have something to lift come May.”

The crowd groaned at the gag.

Hiddink, though, has a much better chance of putting a smile back on Chelsea faces.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd rather we played Lampard and Mikel with Quaresma and Kalou on the wings. Or Stoch for Kalou.

The team I'd like to see:

Cech

Belletti

Ferreira

Terry

Ivanovic

Mikel

Lampard

Quaresma

Kalou

Anelka

Drogba

Bench:

Hilário

Bosingwa

Mancienne

Deco

Ballack

Stoch

Di Santo

I'd rather we played Lampard and Mikel with Quaresma and Kalou on the wings. Or Stoch for Kalou.

The team I'd like to see:

Cech

Belletti

Ferreira

Terry

Ivanovic

Mikel

Lampard

Quaresma

Kalou

Anelka

Drogba

Bench:

Hilário

Bosingwa

Mancienne

Deco

Ballack

Stoch

Di Santo

I don't think i would argue too much with that. Although personally i would play Mancienne instead of Belletti, either at Centre back with JT with Ivanovic on the right or the other way around.

Most of the papers today seem to think that Hiddink will give Deco a run out in the holding role, which is a bold move.

I'm just not sure playing Mancienne in his second game for the club in such an important game would be beneficial when we have a vastly experienced player who can play instead. And Quaresma is in the same position, but our option instead is a youngster or Malouda, and Quaresma is still very experienced anyway.

I'm just not sure playing Mancienne in his second game for the club in such an important game would be beneficial when we have a vastly experienced player who can play instead. And Quaresma is in the same position, but our option instead is a youngster or Malouda, and Quaresma is still very experienced anyway.

Experience isn't everything. Mancienne has pace and can read the game fantastically, he could be ideal up against the young and fast Young and Agbonlahor.

That's quite true. However, in regards to the previous page where someone said a diamond 4-4-2 would mean no width was only due to Mourinho playing a narrow midfield to field Makelele, Essien, Lampard and Ballack whenever possible. Most diamonds midfields have two wingers sandwiched between DM and an AM.

That's quite true. However, in regards to the previous page where someone said a diamond 4-4-2 would mean no width was only due to Mourinho playing a narrow midfield to field Makelele, Essien, Lampard and Ballack whenever possible. Most diamonds midfields have two wingers sandwiched between DM and an AM.

Like which team bluelion ? i have never seen that before. I think its a good move to put deco dm i really do, we can use him as an alonso type player.

Like which team bluelion ? i have never seen that before. I think its a good move to put deco dm i really do, we can use him as an alonso type player.

I think see it as a 4-4-2, but with 1 central midfielder more forward than the other. No reason why that cannot work as long as the wingers are willing to put in some graft in midfield when defending.

Playing diamond ??? Doesn't it means no width again????

I thing it was the same Line up that Mourinho try to use last season... but I don´t thing Hiddink want to play width ... same touch and pass with the ball..

We will have to see it!!

We're going to have to play very well defencievly. Obi sitting infront of the back four, I'd like to say Quersema and Stoch on the wings with Anelka and Drogba up front. Lampard to collect a Drogba flick off and score, Whoever plays left back will have a vital role keeping Ashley Young out of the game, Terry should be able to deal with Carew. Drogba is too powerfull for there defence so i think it will be a comfortable victory.