Ryan Bertrand

DavidEU

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Ryan joined Chelsea in the summer of 2005 for an initial fee of £125,000, with future clauses based upon personal and club success to be paid when met. Gillingham Chairman Paul Scally was not happy at the decision set via tribunal.

After making his way through the Under-18 team as one of the most impressive players of the 2005-06 season, Ryan made his first foray into professional football as a 17 year-old, heading to Bournemouth on loan in League Two along side team-mate Jack Cork. The spell would be brief, but he would return to the Fitness First Stadium later in the season after recovering from a ruptured spleen.

More loan spells followed, at Oldham Athletic in League One for the first half of the 2007-08 season, before moving up another division and joining Norwich City in The Championship for the remainder of the campaign. He impressed so much at Carrow Road that he would return for the entire duration of the 2008-09 season, but he was unable to help the Canaries avoid relegation.

His reputation wasn't tarnished though, and the 2009-10 season saw a return to the Championship with Reading, who were managed at the time by Brendan Rodgers. Rodgers, of course, had coached Ryan at both academy and reserve team levels. He became a mainstay in the Royals' team despite their poor season.

On 5 August 2010 Ryan's 21st birthday he was sent on the sixth loan move of his precocious career, joining Nottingham Forest until January 3rd 2011. He remained a regular in their promotion chasing side until injury ended his spell at the City Ground in December 2010.

Ryan returned to Chelsea in January 2011 to become a part of the first team squad, and made his first team debut as a second half replacement for Ashley Cole against Birmingham City on 20 April. Bertrand impressed, providing the cross for Chelsea's third goal in a 3-1 win.

At the start of the 2011-12 season, with Yuri Zhirkov having left in the summer and Patrick van Aanholt loaned to Wigan Athletic for the season, Bertrand emerged as back-up to Ashley Cole at left back. He made his second appearance for the first team in a third round League Cup tie against Fulham, playing the full match as the Blues eventually prevailed on a penalty shoot-out after extra time.

When Roberto Di Matteo was appointed Interim First Team Coach in March 2012, Ryan became entrusted with more regular first team action, culminating in a surprise start on the left wing in the 2012 UEFA Champions League Final against Bayern Munich. He played 75 minutes and did well, earning himself a winner's medal in Europe's premier club competition in just his sixteenth appearance for Chelsea.

Click here to view the record

• 1 month later...

It's Sunday, traditionally the best day of the week for transfer rumour mongering and this week is no exception. This time it's a Premier League full back from Chelsea! Ashley... no... no, it's not...

Good morning fellow City fans! Here at the Towers we're leisurely perusing the Sunday's over our eggs and bacon, but even we, nearly choked on our cornflakes at this latest transfer rumour: CITY IN FOR Chelsea STAR!

Well, not exactly 'star' more 'starlet' would be appropriate. Or being brutally honest, 'that young kid who will never get to wear a Blues shirt in anger' is probably more accurate.

Anyway, for a cool £2m we can buy left back Ryan Bertrand from Chelsea, ending the youngster's purgatory at Stamford Bridge and offering him a first team lifeline at Hull City in the Premier League. Or perhaps not.

Bertand is just 18 years of age and enjoyed - if that's the right word - spells at Oldham Atheltic and Norwich City, with the latter reportedly keen to secure the teenager's signature this summer. As well as us, allegedly.

Tigers yet to bid for Bertrand

Hull City boss Phil Brown has played down speculation that has suggested he is weighing up a bid for Chelsea's Ryan Bertrand.

Ryan_Bertrand_808612.jpg

Bertrand: Impressed at Norwich

The 18-year-old left-back has been linked with the Premier League new boys following impressive loan spells at Oldham and Norwich last season.

A £2million offer has been mooted but while Brown admits he has had the player watched, he is quick to reiterate that no bid is pending.

Brown concedes he must first weigh up whether the player would be able to make the step-up to Premier League level, having only previously accrued experience in League One and the Championship.

"We've looked at Bertrand on a number of occasions, but we're in the decision making progress of asking 'Can he step up to the Premier League?' as opposed to the Championship last year," Brown told the Hull Daily Mail.

"There's been no approach from us at this stage."

Chelsea defender Ryan Bertrand will return to Carrow Road on a half-season loan deal from Stamford Bridge. City manager Glenn Roeder exclusively told canaries.co.uk: "I can't tell you how happy I am to secure the signature of Ryan Bertrand again to come back here on loan until the first of January.

"There is a possibility, after speaking to Frank Arnesen, that he will be able to stay the whole year. I think Chelsea are doing the right thing, covering their backs in case they needed him on the first of January because he is an exciting young player. But the intentions are that he might be able to stay the whole year.

0,,10355~3704601,00.jpg

"I'm very, very happy to be able to bring him back, he had become a fans' favourite. An exciting young full back, he likes to bomb forward and is tenacious in the tackle when defending. I like to think he improved as a player whilst with us in the second half of last season and I like to think now that I know him well, his character and his drive and motivation that he will become a better player. Again, for us in this first half of the season there is now great competition at left back with Adam Drury who has impressed me greatly at this week's training, at the front in the running, he always looks like a person that is driven and just the sort of person I enjoy working with. So there's real competition at left back now, I have to say the envy of a lot of clubs I would have thought, with Ryan Bertrand and Adam Drury competing for the left back spot.

"With Ryan, as he proved a number of times away from home, he can play wide left of the midfield and play in front of Adam, and give a real look of solidness and strength down that left-hand side. But of course, he's more than just a defender, Ryan can get forward and produce excellent crosses, and even once or twice last year he got the backpost and nearly scored, so hopefully this season he will get a goal or two in a Norwich shirt.

"It's happened very quickly, although I've been in touch with Frank Arnesen a number of times since the end of last season, I didn't think we'd be able to secure his services so quickly and I can only thank Frank Arnesen and Chelsea in particular for allowing that to happen so that Ryan can spend pre-season with us."

Ryan told First News, "I'm delighted to be returning to Carrow Road and very excited at the prospect of starting where I left off last season".

0,,10355~3704603,00.jpg

The England U19 international joined the Canaries on loan during the January transfer window of last season and stayed with the Club for the remainder of the campaign. The left-back made 18 league appearances for City playing a role in helping the Canaries avoid relegation.

Speaking to canaries.co.uk last season Bertrand was asked whether he would consider returning to Carrow Road. "Chelsea is a very big ask," he said. "You have to be realistic. They've got Ashley Cole and Wayne Bridge still. Obviously I'd like to (and) if the chance came then I would, but I'd be happy enough playing my football here at Norwich. It's a nice family club and it's in a nice area so it's gone really well."

Ryan Bertrand will wear the number 21 shirt again, as he did last season.

Source: Norwich City FC

• 2 weeks later...

Chelsea youngster Ryan Bertrand insists he will soon be ready to take on England's first choice left-backs. The Blues youngster faces the unenviable task of competing with Three Lions' regulars Ashley Cole and Wayne Bridge for a starting berth at Stamford Bridge.

But the 18-year-old believes he will be up to the task and is relishing the challenge he faces in the next few seasons.

Bertrand recently agreed a year-long loan move to Norwich and he hopes his performances for the Canaries will impress new Chelsea boss Luiz Felipe Scolari.

Bertrand said: "I am only young so I still feel I have time to break into the first team.

"I've just got to go out on loan and show Chelsea what I can do then hopefully my time will come.

"I'm looking forward to going back to Norwich and playing regular first team football again.

"My aim is to go out there and prove that I can play in the league and do well.

"Hopefully then I can come back to Chelsea and get my chance."

Bertrand is currently competing in the Under-19 European Championships with England in the Czech Republic.

Under-21 manager Stuart Pearce has joined the squad for training and Bertrand has been inspired by the former Three Lions full-back.

Bertrand added: "Having Stuart Pearce around is a great help.

"He has given us a few tips on how to improve our games and I've tried to take as much on board as possible.

"He has been around the game a long time and has a lot of experience.

"You can tell he's passionate about England and he's always trying to get his point across about how important it is to play for your country."

Bertrand's Blues team-mate and England you-19 skipper Jack Cork added: "The lads are really enjoying having the chance to impress Stuart Pearce.

"It's really exciting that he's around and it's good to learn from him."

England you-19s face Italy on Thursday and need a draw to stay in the tournament after losing 2-0 to the Czech Republic in the Group B opener.

Source: The Sun

support Ryan!!!blue%20scalf.gif

Lol

Ryan Bertrand is an excellant player. It is very unfortunate for him to have 2 of Englands finest left backs infront of him, which is going to make it very very hard for him to break through. He is only 18 yet is already top class at Championship level and i expect him to push that reputation even further. It would be good if in the second half of the season we could loan him out in the premiership, i think he is ready for it.

Lol

Ryan Bertrand is an excellant player. It is very unfortunate for him to have 2 of Englands finest left backs infront of him, which is going to make it very very hard for him to break through. He is only 18 yet is already top class at Championship level and i expect him to push that reputation even further. It would be good if in the second half of the season we could loan him out in the premiership, i think he is ready for it.

ya... hope Ryan Bertrand keep work hard :rolleyes:

he still young , hope he can wait

• 1 month later...
Chelsea manager Luiz Felipe Scolari has made the astonishing revelation that Arsenal made an approach for Ivory Coast International Salomon Kalou.

In the midst of a tense press conference after the 1-1 draw with Tottenham Hotspur at Stamford Bridge, Scolari revealed that Gunners boss Arsene Wenger wanted to bring the young forward to the Emirates Stadium. This was prompted by the press suggesting that Chelsea failed to beat Spurs due to a lack of firepower, having just let Andriy Shevchenko and Shaun Wright-Phillips leave the West London side in the past week.

Scolari said: “Arsene Wenger wanted Kalou to go to Arsenal and to use him as a centre forward - a No9. I said no.

“This was a couple of months ago.”

premiershiplatest.com

• 3 weeks later...

Salomon Kalou admits he's weighing up his options at Chelsea.

Kalou told setantasports.com:

“I don’t know what my future consists of, the season is still long. It’s too early to take a decision right now. “When a young player arrives at Chelsea he’s happy to learn, and then you can have the opportunity to grow in another club or in here.

“As a young player I am aware of the fact that I have to make the perfect choice and at some point of my career I’ll have to accept to fly with my own wings.”

Unsettled Salomon Kalou is a £6million target for Spanish giants Barcelona.

Chelsea forward Kalou, 23, is getting increasingly frustrated at Stamford Bridge because of a lack of first-team chances.

The Ivory Coast star has yet to start under Luiz Felipe Scolari and has made just three brief substitute appearances.

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger made an enquiry for versatile Kalou in the summer and now Barca believe they can lure him to the Nou Camp.The mirror

• 4 weeks later...