Sydney Fc V's La Galaxy

Agent13

Beckham snags goal, yellow card in Galaxy loss Wednesday November 28, 5:26 AM382588720.jpgSYDNEY (AFP) - David Beckham scored off one of his signature free-kicks and received a yellow card as under-prepared LA Galaxy were hammered 5-3 by Sydney FC in their exhibition match here Tuesday.The world's most recognised footballer produced one of his fabled "bend it like Beckham" free-kicks nearing half-time to give his US club some joy after being over-run by the fitter Sydney players in the opening half.The sell-out 80,295 crowd was hushed when Beckham was upended in a tackle mid-way through the opening half and gingerly limped about for a few minutes before recovering to score.Sydney midfielder Brendon Santalab slipped as he tried to chase down Beckham, knocking over the former Manchester United and Real Madrid star just after he had kicked the ball."I always try to stay on the field whether I'm injured or get kicked in games, it's part of the game," said Beckham, who lasted the whole game."I'm quite a stubborn person so when I want to play and when I want to stay on there are not many people who can bring me off and convince me to come off."The first time I heard about the 55 minutes I was contracted to play here was yesterday, but I wanted to stay on for the whole game, there were so many fans and they expect you to perform and be out there for as much as possible."Beckham was in the wars again early in the second half when he resented a body check from substitute Robert Middleby and came after him angrily pointing his finger.He got his revenge mid-way through the half when he scythed Middleby down in a tackle but both players broke into smiles and embraced each other as the former England skipper was shown the yellow card."It was all in good fun at points and when he hit me and I knew that he done it on purpose so I just bided my time and gave him a friendly one back... We laughed and joked about it afterwards," he said.But Galaxy, well into their off-season, finished a man short when defender Kevin Harmse received his second yellow card after appearing to tread on the forearm of Adam Biddle while the Sydney player was on the ground 13 minutes from the end.Sydney FC surged to a 3-0 lead in a lively nine-minute spell to expose sloppy marking from the tiring Galaxy defence.Striker Alex Brosque scored twice in the 20th and 26th minutes running on to passes from Brazilian Juninho and Ufuk Talay.Juninho, who played against the former Manchester United star in the English Premier League for Middlesbrough, produced another classy pass for Ruben Zadkovich to blast home through the gloves of Galaxy goalkeeper Joe Cannon in the 29th minute.But the crowd got what they came for minutes before half-time when Talay brought down Carlos Pavon about 24 metres out directly in front of the Sydney goal, Beckham's ideal shooting range.And the English superstar didn't disappoint with a curling free-kick into the top left-hand corner.Beckham stood with his arms raised to milk the acclaim of his devotees."That sort of situation there is always a certain amount of pressure on me to score because people expect you to do it every time there is a free-kick given in that position," Beckham said."It's something that I've always practised, kids ask me how I take the free-kicks, it's what I've always done and will continue doing. I was happy to score because of the amount of fans there and the amount of attention that had been on me."Galaxy pulled back another goal through Edson Buddle in the 49th minute as the Americans found more space to attack the Sydney defence.But the Sydneysiders rounded things off with two more goals for Middleby in the 54th minute and Iain Fyfe three minutes from time.US international Landon Donovan ran around goalkeeper Bolton to pull one back for Galaxy in the final minute.Beckham and Galaxy head to New Zealand on Thursday for their second and final tour game against Wellington Phoenix on Sunday.
was an alright game to watch, not your usual la la friendly that nothing happens in, both teams were doing their best to put on a show, which was good. :lol: anyone else get to watch it?

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

i didnt watch the whole thing i had indoor soccer to play lol but i seen all the highlights i will watch the reply soon but yes it look quite entertaining with beckham the whole show i heard but his free kick was amazing.