• Werner
    • Mount (sub)
    • Kante (sub)
    • Pulisic (sub)
    • Abraham (sub)
    • Emerson (sub)

4 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

2 from 5? 

Hazard also did not go with power with pens. Werner missed 3 or 4 pens, Kai never. 

You're missing the point. I get that players can miss a penalty here and there but the point is here the penalty taking style. Jorginho's hop-skip style is always gonna look foolish when it doesn't come off and he's suddenly missed 2 of his last 3. 

I mentioned scoring penalties with power because that's what Lampard used to do. Am just trying to give a perspective that he might favor such style in the future instead of someone like Jorginho's after the recent misses.

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

You're missing the point. I get that players can miss a penalty here and there but the point is here the penalty taking style. Jorginho's hop-skip style is always gonna look foolish when it doesn't come off and he's suddenly missed 2 of his last 3. 

I mentioned scoring penalties with power because that's what Lampard used to do. Am just trying to give a perspective that he might favor such style in the future instead of someone like Jorginho's after the recent misses.

Palace game was after Pool, so it is not 2 of the last 3 missed. 

Now that the back line seems more organized, it would nice to see the 4 thoroughbreds get some extended time together on the pitch up top in their proper positions (CP on the left, Havertz behind Werner, Ziyech in the right). They need to get a feel for each other’s runs, and Havertz instinct to wander needs to be able to develop so that it is efficient. To say nothing of getting Chilwell and James comfortable with the their roles vis-a-vis the others in attack. I am hopeful that if that group can understand each other’s tendencies, and learn to complement one another, it could develop into something special.

That puts a fair amount of pressure on the wide midfielders to defend. I don’t see how Jorginho can fit, but I never have. Maybe I am missing something.

Isn’t it clear yet that Mount is a midfielder, not an attacker?

As for formations, pardon my ignorance, but isn’t the difference between a 4-3-3 and a 4-2-3-1 more about where the 2 wide midfielders play as against Havertz?

In the other group game, Sevilla have just gone 1-0 up against Rennes and have absolutely been hammering them.

Sevilla with 15 shots, 8 shots on target and 69% possession. Rennes have just 1 shot, 1 shot on target and 31% possession.

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

In the other group game, Sevilla have just gone 1-0 up against Rennes and have absolutely been hammering them.

Sevilla with 15 shots, 8 shots on target and 69% possession. Rennes have just 1 shot, 1 shot on target and 31% possession.

Wouldn't be surprised if group finish with us and Sevilla having 14 points and other two teams end with two. 

Just now, NikkiCFC said:

Wouldn't be surprised if group finish with us and Sevilla having 14 points and other two teams end with two. 

Looks likely given how the games have gone. Can only hope that we beat Rennes in the next two games because that will be enough to secure our progress to the R16 before we go to Sevilla. 

51 minutes ago, Jason said:

Jorginho's will look great if it comes off but it will look very stupid if it doesn't and Jorginho has suddenly missed 2 from 3 this season (excluding shootout).

If you think Jorginio's is bad you should see Chloe Kelly of Man City Women. You won't believe your eyes.

Surely though style doesn't matter. Surely what counts is conversion rate. Everything else is fluff. It could be argued that style matters because it might make success more or less likely. How would we judge whether or not a style contributes to success? By looking at the conversion rate of course. Conversion rate, conversation rate, conversion rate. Nothing else counts.

1 minute ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

If you think Jorginio's is bad you should see Chloe Kelly of Man City Women. You won't believe your eyes.

Surely though style doesn't matter. Surely what counts is conversion rate. Everything else is fluff. It could be argued that style matters because it might make success more or less likely. How would we judge whether or not a style contributes to success? By looking at the conversion rate of course. Conversion rate, conversation rate, conversion rate. Nothing else counts.

source.gif

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Lampard wasn't wrong with what he said but I think the problem here is the penalty taking style. Jorginho's will look great if it comes off but it will look very stupid if it doesn't and Jorginho has suddenly missed 2 from 3 this season (excluding shootout). Given Lampard's own penalty taking style during his career, he should know a thing or two about just picking the target and smashing it in rather than trying to be clever with it.

1 hour ago, BluesMadLad said:

Let's be honest he missed it happens, that should really be the end of it. Lampard himself missed 7 

1 hour ago, BluesMadLad said:

Lampard missed 7 pens, its just one of those things.

Jorginho missed 2 from 5 excluding shootout this season. scored 2 vs cp and one vs brighton, missed 2 vs liverpool and today. overall Jorginho has a record that is similar to Lamps but Lamps scored like 80 penalties and had an overall success rate of 85% at that whilst Jorginho scored under 30 to date. The more pens you take the more likely goalies are gonna figure out the way you take them, learn you tell so to say and it gets more difficult to score regularly. lampard missed more towards the end of his career but if you start not converting earlier after not that many tries relatively, you either should change your technique or someone else should take the pens.

49 minutes ago, Jason said:

Let's face it, Jorginho's penalty style is always gonna be contentious when it doesn't come off...

I understand but lets not forget there were moments when Didier, when Frank, when Eden missed penalties and it wasnt anywhere near the OTT reaction but because its Jorginho, the usual 😂 I genuinely think your out to get him 👀 

Na I suppose it is a miss and on another day coslty but the penalty taking thing being asked after the game is so typical, can't please everybody. It goes by seniority and record I suppose.

1 minute ago, OneMoSalah said:

I understand but lets not forget there were moments when Didier, when Frank, when Eden missed penalties and it wasnt anywhere near the OTT reaction but because its Jorginho, the usual 😂 I genuinely think your out to get him 👀 

Na I suppose it is a miss and on another day coslty but the penalty taking thing being asked after the game is so typical, can't please everybody. It goes by seniority and record I suppose.

IT'S THE PENALTY STYLE! NOT ABOUT THE CONVERSION RATE HERE!