• Mount
    • Pulisic
    • Havertz
    • Werner
    • Kovacic (sub)
    • Ziyech (sub)
    • Abraham (sub)
    • Hudson-Odoi (sub)

Even Didier Deschamps talked about how he has an advanced role in Chelsea compared to France and he prefers to use him in a more defensive role. 
Lampard said that Kante is versatile and can play many different positions and that wants to utilise that before last season started. Now he is giving him this "advanced role" at the cost of us our defense being more easily exposed.
I'm surprised Chelsea fans of all people don't know this. Mindboggling to say the least.

Because under Sarri and Lampard he used to play as a no. 8,which is also not his position.

He plays best in a double pivot, in which his task it is to destroys counter attacks. Destroying counter attacks in a space that is very bright and he has to go forward to destroy counter attacks. That leaves him to positions, in which a natural no. 6 would not go. Matic sits deep and Kante destroys counter attacks in front of him. If one somehow gets through or Matic has to win aerial duels, he is there for Kante and complements him.

Gesendet von meinem VOG-L29 mit Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Azul said:

I didn't say he played in a lone defensive role, lol why are people putting words in my mouth.

He played in a pivot for France, and he is the one that sits deep out of the two. In Chelsea he plays in a pivot but he is the one that presses up high. 

It's very easy to understand what I'm saying here.

Deeper of the pivot as well. He hasn't played there much. He was always the seek and destroy midfielder with someone always playing in the deeper role when he went hunting for the ball - Matic for a while before it was Jorgi later. I've always felt leaving Kante as the deeper midfielder (even in a pivot) leaves you with the in-game risk of him being caught out of position because his natural instinct is to go for the ball and cut it out

We are talking about what needs to be done from now until January, when Lampard can get a DM. There's is no better alternative than a 433 with Kante sitting. But with that must be a disciplined and structured style of play. Congest then hit them on the break. 

There's literally no other solution that can fix our embarrassingly blatant problem. 

1 hour ago, Tomo said:

But with Kante is this really just a Lampard thing? Conte tried Golo deeper when he first arrived and it backfired spectacularly (especially vs Arsenal) and when he reverted to 352 the following season Bakayoko/Drinkwater were the deeper player and then there's obviously the Sarri situation. Getting him to sit deeper takes away his main attribute that made him WC in the first place.

What destroyed vs Arsenal is us playing a 4-man defence when we didn't have the suitable players for that. Furthermore what's your understanding of when I'm talking about Kante playing a bit more deep? What I mean by that is that he doesn't join the attack but instead just stays back to collect the ball when needed. 

33 minutes ago, killer1257 said:

Because under Sarri and Lampard he used to play as a no. 8,which is also not his position.

He plays best in a double pivot, in which his task it is to destroys counter attacks. Destroying counter attacks in a space that is very bright and he has to go forward to destroy counter attacks. That leaves him to positions, in which a natural no. 6 would not go. Matic sits deep and Kante destroys counter attacks in front of him. If one somehow gets through or Matic has to win aerial duels, he is there for Kante and complements him.

Gesendet von meinem VOG-L29 mit Tapatalk

Do we have a Matic atm? We don't, Jorginho is very ineffective defensively. 

You can't argue Kante is the one that sits deep when he plays in a double pivot for France. These are facts. That is the sole reason his performances are better there. Instead of Kante joining the attack like he does rn, his job should be to collect the ball when needed that's it. That's what I'm talking about when I'm saying that he should stay deep. 

We don't have Matic, so our only option is to implement Deschamps tactics which literally won France the WC.

28 minutes ago, Strike said:

Deeper of the pivot as well. He hasn't played there much. He was always the seek and destroy midfielder with someone always playing in the deeper role when he went hunting for the ball - Matic for a while before it was Jorgi later. I've always felt leaving Kante as the deeper midfielder (even in a pivot) leaves you with the in-game risk of him being caught out of position because his natural instinct is to go for the ball and cut it out

There's two options we have right now:

1. Give Kante the role he has at France and let him only do defensive tasks and not join the attack at all

2. Let Jorginho sit deep, and risk his defensive weaknesses being our downfall

Sadly we don't have someone like Matic, so we have to adapt and looking at his performances in the French national team, he looks like a completely different player. Why? Because he has a more defensive role and he doesn't join the attack whatsoever.

15 hours ago, Azul said:

I hope Kovacic starts against Sevilla. Jorginho can't handle pressure and I feel like Kovacic-Kante duo could work if Kante sits in front of the centre backs while Kovacic is playing a box-to-box role.

Sevilla's pressure is basically like Southampton but on steroids. We need fast twitch midfielders like Kovacic to move with the ball and bring it forward to our attackers. Jorginho is very slow and he always chokes under pressure, I hope Lampard realizes that and changes his midfield for this game.

The last thing we need is Jorginho under a Sevilla press. Unless we are playing Kante, Kova and Jorginho all together to cope in the midfield, Jorginho in a 2 man midfield is a big NO. 

12 minutes ago, kellzfresh said:

The last thing we need is Jorginho under a Sevilla press. Unless we are playing Kante, Kova and Jorginho all together to cope in the midfield, Jorginho in a 2 man midfield is a big NO. 

The entire team needs to be well in tune with a pragmatic approach. I'd have Kante sit with Kovacic, and our attack relaxed on their press. 

Mendy

Dave---Silva---Zouma---Chilwell

Kante---Kovacic

CHO------Havertz-----Pulisic

Werner

13 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

The entire team needs to be well in tune with a pragmatic approach. I'd have Kante sit with Kovacic, and our attack relaxed on their press. 

Honestly I always prefer to press back against a team that presses. I wouldn't want a situation where Sevilla holds the ball and sustains pressure against us for long periods. Press back and win the balls against them high up the pitch since we would not be comfortable building out from the back under intense pressure.

Also If possible play more long balls and try to win the second balls, instead of the rubbish attempt to pass out of the back against the southampton press on Saturday. 

9 minutes ago, kellzfresh said:

Honestly I always prefer to press back against a team that presses. I wouldn't want a situation where Sevilla holds the ball and sustains pressure against us for long periods. Press back and win the balls against them high up the pitch since we would not be comfortable building out from the back under intense pressure.

But when we press there is a massive disconnect between the defence and midfield, something time and time again continues to get exposed. Bayern, excuse my french, raped our midfield last season given this blatant weakness. 

17 minutes ago, Patrick Bamford said:

I'm so sick of seeing Mason Mount in the lineup every game. All he has is work rate. He's a squad player

What the hell is wrong with Lampard? 

Everyone is fit now, there's no more excuses. If I see Mount on the wing instead of Ziyech or CHO, then all hell breaks loose!

37 minutes ago, Patrick Bamford said:

I'm so sick of seeing Mason Mount in the lineup every game. All he has is work rate. He's a squad player

I hate him there as well but o guess the reasoning is that someone has to cover for Chilwell a forward runs and carry the ball up to the creative players. Otherwise we might look disjointed like in the mazarcar days

1 minute ago, Magic Lamps said:

I hate him there as well but o guess the reasoning is that someone has to cover for Chilwell a forward runs and carry the ball up to the creative players. Otherwise we might look disjointed like in the mazarcar days

Mazacar now there's a blast from the past 🤣👍🤣

1 hour ago, MoroccanBlue said:

But when we press there is a massive disconnect between the defence and midfield, something time and time again continues to get exposed. Bayern, excuse my french, raped our midfield last season given this blatant weakness. 

Because Lampard doesn't know how to coordinate a proper press. Even Southampton can, this is not rocket science

Bayern Munich last season in the Champions league showed everyone how high pressing is done. They pressed with the whole team, no gaps between the midfield and defence, the defence (with slow players like Boateng/Sule) came higher and maintained a high line, played the offside trap and had a sweeper keeper in Neuer to mop up long balls over the defence. The didn't let even Barcelona pass out of the defence easily.  

Lampard playing a high press and leaving so much space between the defence and midfield is a tactical flaw, which means he hasn't worked on pressing properly. Pressing back is the only way to beat a pressing team, unless we are ready to park the bus for 90 minutes and hit long balls to Werner/Giroud. If not naively trying to pass out of the back against a good press will result in that type of 2nd half total domination from southampton on saturday.

45 minutes ago, Patrick Bamford said:

I think this week is going to be the first time since Frank and Mason are here that he will not start two games in a row.

47 minutes ago, Patrick Bamford said:

To be fair, pulisic and ziyech have both been injured. So now they are back we will see if Mount still squeezes himself in, starting from this weekend against Man United.