• Mount
    • Havertz
    • Pulisic
    • Werner
    • Ziyech (sub)
    • James (sub)
    • Abraham (sub)

3 hours ago, Azul said:

Why can't Silva play? Lampard is making the same mistake smh. He rested Zouma for the Spurs game and look how that worked out. Now he's resting Silva for the Sevilla game. We'll see what happens but I 100% disagree with his decision-making this time.

He literally can't keep the same squad for 2 games, things always have to be changed.

Difference with Silva is we knew this was the case with him from day dot, asking him to play three games in a week at 36 after two games on the other side of the world is a huge ask so we have to prioritize. There's not one outfield player in the modern era playing three games a week at that age, certainly not at our level. 

We will have to make decisions like this with him throughout the season. I do agree we need atleast one constant though, hopefully Zouma with AC/Tomori filling in whenever we need to rest Thiago.

3 hours ago, Azul said:

I knew you were going to come up with that argument. Silva being 36, doesn't justify the choice of not starting him because he travelled from South America to the UK 2 days ago.

Lampard is too cautious when it comes to selecting players, we've seen a lot of that last season as well. Are you telling me that Mourinho would bench his best defender just because he travelled to South America? What a joke.

Mourinho's not really someone to use as an example on this score.You're right he doesn't rotate as much but he often aggravates issues by making players play when they're not 100%, Terry in his first spell here was rushed back and then put out for ages, second spell he refused to rest his core players and made Hazard play through injury and that ended up with us fighting the drop and our star man not scoring till April.

19 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Difference with Silva is we knew this was the case with him from day dot, asking him to play three games in a week at 36 after two games on the other side of the world is a huge ask so we have to prioritize. There's not one outfield player in the modern era playing three games a week at that age, certainly not at our level. 

We will have to make decisions like this with him throughout the season. I do agree we need atleast one constant though, hopefully Zouma with AC/Tomori filling in whenever we need to rest Thiago.

Mourinho's not really someone to use as an example on this score.You're right he doesn't rotate as much but he often aggravates issues by making players play when they're not 100%, Terry in his first spell here was rushed back and then put out for ages, second spell he refused to rest his core players and made Hazard play through injury and that ended up with us fighting the drop and our star man not scoring till April.

Totally agree regarding Silva. 

Even Terry at 34 (think he was 34 the season he won the league with Jose in his second spell?) under Mourinho needed to be rotated every now and then and while we played a low block you seen the effects that playing too much had on JT the next season when we were horrendous (although we did play a higher line and the less said about that season the better). He had been overplayed IMO the previous season and while he had a summer break you need to rotate and watch players at this sort of age as injuries, injury recovery and match fitness is harder to maintain over time. Even more difficult when he plays international games every break as well.  

At 36, realistically Silva only has a specific amount of games at such a high intensity and high level left in him. Maybe another season on top of this one IMO. 

Even Jose with Maka here in the first spell, his last season here before he left/sacked/whatever he started phasing him out and using him in bigger games due to his age and needing to play less minutes to maintain his fitness. We have to try incorporate that approach with Silva at times, we cant play him 90 minutes in 3 games in the space of 7,8 or 9 days. No matter how fit he claims to be. Or people think he should be. At 36 most top level CBs are usually finished anyway. 

Also regarding your second point, yes and no, its hard to tell your top players who are say 65-70% fit not to play and recuperate. I mean Diego Costa played through minor injuries with Jose, Hiddink and Conte here also and while he wasn’t brilliant, I think it depends on one if the medical staff think hes able to play through it without seriously aggravating the injury (as well as the usual painkillers/injections prior to a game etc. you always hear about) and two if the player has the desire to make themselves available for selection. Manager obviously has a say also but I mean your not going to say to a player of that quality who’s maybe at 70% no. Its a weird one because you can see these things having longer consequences but players like Hazard and Costa are guys who I think don't work as hard to maintain their fitness/find it as easy to maintain their fitness, probably don’t help either. Doesnt mean their bad trainers but we seen with Hazard at Real last season he was overweight when he arrived and that season we were horrible he wasnt in great shape either (not solely his fault probably playing at 70% didnt help him) but it does have an effect.

Just read the Saints forum. They don't think Walcott will play. They have a couple starters still injured (Armstrong and Salisu) and even if their injuries were better, their manager is slow to put them back on the pitch without being match fit. I wish it made me feel better, I'm still a little shy to feel confident after last year and that 3-3 against a team not strong enough to be in the EPL. I can only hope. They are confident that Werner will score his first goal against them.

14 hours ago, Hutcho said:

Pretty standard. Lampard knows the condition of players 1 million times better than anyone else does so I'll trust his judgement.

Everyone going on about our injuries and then wanting us to play the best team available every game.

Silva had a 17 hour flight 2 days ago so obvious he ain't gonna be fully ready. Jet lag is a real thing so why play him when we have 2 games coming up shortly after.

Ziyech getting minutes is good, no need to chuck him in from the start as he'll get eased back in which is ideal. Pulisic probably starts though which will be great to see. And should mean werner up front.

Hutcho..at last someone talking sense.

Agree, no need to rush them all at one time, better have a fully fit squad in a couple of weeks that glides past by the coming months and the Boxing Day period with ease, rather than have players picking up injuries every week because of bad management. Going to be a totally different season from the ones before and the intl breaks don't help either, I suspect lots of players will fall like flies by late January and the month of February. Coaches must be clever and manage the squad very well in terms of minutes this season.

Saints are a well drilled team with a quality manager and this comes after an intl break - can't be easy. Still I hope we get the three points in a tricky fixture.

I have been the first one saying Silva should not play this but if we lose points I will also say that Firmino, Richarlison, Mina, James and Fabinho all had games in South America and all started today in early kickoff.

11 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

I have been the first one saying Silva should not play this but if we lose points I will also say that Firmino, Richarlison, Mina, James and Fabinho all had games in South America and all started today in early kickoff.

Are you really comparing a 36-year-old to a bunch of players in their 20s?

If we don't win today, it won't be because of Silva's absence...