• Barkley
    • Havertz
    • Hudson-Odoi
    • Mount
    • Abraham
    • Zouma (sub)
    • Chilwell (sub)
    • Giroud (sub)

Told you guys we would thrash them. A proper warm up fixture like you usually have in pre season is what we needed. Not sure we will be able to reproduce it on weekend but the quality of sides we face is nice ladder from here

Just now, Magic Lamps said:

Told you guys we would thrash them. A proper warm up fixture like you usually have in pre season is what we needed. Not sure we will be able to reproduce it on weekend but the quality of sides we face is nice ladder from here

Now we need another one for when all the lads are on together!

Spuds will be perfect!

2 hours ago, Costa19 said:

I know we play Barnsley.. buy my god we are so fluent and flexible through the middle without Kante. I have said it before.. he is one of our biggest problem in our build up play 

Listen to @Vesper people or regret, even if not repent, at your leisure. 

Maybe we will tear it up playing Mount all the time on one line or the other.  But to me he looks like a box to box midfielder who can run all day, disrupt opponents and take free kicks. He does not look up to the task of being part of top tier attacking front 3 or 4. Nor does he have the vision to feed those in front of him the way Haavertz or Kova do. But he is indestructible and could be a super sub type. 

I don’t see the attacking wing in him that Frank does. 

I only watched 1st half, watching both our double pivot competing who can dribble pass player the most is fun to watch but disastrous. It was too easy for Barnsley to get to our d line. 

Thiago silva need more gametime to get fit, Havertz is also better behind a striker not a surprise. Good hattrick for his confidence. 

The only conclusion from this game is that Caballero in goal give me far more confidence than kepa and that is crazy because willy is a bit too maverick for a gk. 

This isn't news but last night's game highlights the need for another defensive midfielder because when Kante doesn't play, there is literally no one else in the team with a defensive brain in them. We were somewhat fortunate that Barnsley were useless when they got into the final third but they played through our midfield way too easily at times last night. 

7 minutes ago, Jason said:

This isn't news but last night's game highlights the need for another defensive midfielder because when Kante doesn't play, there is literally no one else in the team with a defensive brain in them. We were somewhat fortunate that Barnsley were useless when they got into the final third but they played through our midfield way too easily at times last night. 

100%. If Kante has another season like last, it will be our biggest issue this season. There is a balancing act, because (albeit Barnsley) our attacking play and certainly the movement and passing across our midfield yesterday was a massive improvement on recent games. There is a definite and real argument over Kante possibly hindering that aspect of our game. However he does make us look more solid defensively, and I don't remember us being anywhere near as open against Brighton and Liverpool as we were last night.

I actually don't mind Barkley and I think he's better in that deeper role than further forward but he needs someone more defensive minded next to him if we're playing a decent side. Against some of the teams in the bottom half of the table, I think he's a realistic option at times because he gives more attacking thrust then our other deeper midfielders do. I personally prefer Barkley's all round game, and definitely his physical attributes in that position to Jorginho if I'm going to be honest.

The only other possibility is whether Lampard sees James as an option to play as a more defensive minded midfielder this season. We obviously have the alternative at right back in Azpilicueta and I see them rotating this season. Not sure how ideal it would be because it requires shifting the pack around again to do this and I'd prefer James to focus on developing into first choice at right back. However if Kante can stay fit and we just simply need a back up sometimes to give him a rest, then it may be an option to use sporadically.