2020/21 Expectations

BlueLyon

Reading this thread now, many of you may get things you wished for.

- get past Round of 16 CL - almost there.

- close the gap to City/Liverpool - we are ahead of Pool!

I never understood this narrative many have that after finishing 33 points behind Liverpool last season that finishing lets say 20 points behind them would be progress. That is not how football works.

We saw it many times. We finished 6th, 1st, 10th, 1st in space of 4 seasons. Things happen. Injuries, mentality after success and motivation is another big factor.

- Comfy top4 finish - not likely.

- Fa Cup trophy - still good chance.

Signings did not met our expectations. (except Mendy and Silva).

And now we have to look at this season in two parts. With Frank and with Tuchel. And this is most positive thing about our season. This change but also most negative. Depends how you look at it.

We did not expect title before the season so this season can still be amazing, next two months will tell everything, too early to judge in terms of results.

On 29/08/2020 at 00:59, Jason said:

- Show clear progression (duh!)

- Close the gap on the top two

- No more fucking about for a Top 4 finish. Must finish in it comfortably!

- Win at least one of the domestic trophies

- This one would depend on our luck but get past the UCL Round of 16 at least

One of the expectations achieved! Yay...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 19/03/2021 at 21:33, King Kante said:

I would say two, we've closed the gap on the Dippers. 

And now they've closed the gap on us 

'Top 4 finish with no faff and rely on other results to help'

Hahaha...how wrong I was...

Edited by Laylabelle

10 hours ago, Laylabelle said:

And now they've closed the gap on us 

'Top 4 finish with no faff and rely on other results to help'

Hahaha...how wrong I was...

I worded that wrong, I meant that the Dippers have closed the gap and we need two wins from two now. 

• 2 weeks later...

Sooooooo, how are your predictions doing? 😄

One funny thing - all those predictions were written under assumption that they will be achieved under Lampard 😄

A comfortable top 4 finish is my favourite.

On 29/08/2020 at 14:44, Laylabelle said:

Get past the last 16 in the Champions League..its been a while!!

Decent runs again...if meet Arsenal in the FA cup..be nice to be 4th time lucky.

Top 4 finish with no faff and rely on other results to help

Defend corners...better defensive record then this season

Finish the season with Frank...

Got past last 16....

Top 4 finish...that part was right! The rest. Faff yes..others.. YEA!

We had a decent FA Cup run!!! Just shame fell short. 

I think we got better with corners lol

And nooooo

Edited by Laylabelle

On 28/08/2020 at 22:29, coolhead23 said:

4th Place, a Cup (League or FA), QF of the CL, Solid team chemistry by the end of the season. Met Expectations. Anything over that would be exceed expectation. 

We'r looking good in terms of signing and plugging in the gaps at this stage, we could actually have more than 50% change in terms of our starting 11 when we take the field on our first game. It will be very important for the players to settle in, understand stratergy and replicate it on the field, develop chemistry. Hence I feel 4th place. 

However if we're able to achieve this then we are title contendors next season for sure. 

4th Place - Accomplished (thanks Spurs / Leicester)

a Cup (League or FA) - Missed by a game

QF of the CL - Overachieved :)

Solid team chemistry by the end of the season - Chemistry is good just the physics of getting the ball in the net is missing. 

Overall - A little more than "Met Expectation" with the potential to be part of History season. 

On 29/08/2020 at 00:59, Jas said:

- Show clear progression (duh!)

- Close the gap on the top two

- No more fucking about for a Top 4 finish. Must finish in it comfortably!

- Win at least one of the domestic trophies

- This one would depend on our luck but get past the UCL Round of 16 at least

Achieved 3 things there (although didn't finish in the Top 4 comfortably!) and also something unexpected...being KINGS OF EUROPE again!

Win UEFA SuperCup and Club World Cup. Only two titles I have not witnessed us winning live.

Mount a respectable title challenge

Get into the knockout stages of CL

I don't have too high expections tbh. The season will be a struggle again. No summer break. Injured and tired players from euros, fly 13 hours to Japan in the middle of the season and return with huge jetlag.

Lose Mendy to AFCON middle of the season.

Mammoth program with a probably smaller squad. Fatigue will be a huge factor. Only good thing is our squad is younger than last time we faced such a mammoth program so maybe they recover better.

15 hours ago, Magic Lamps said:

Win UEFA SuperCup and Club World Cup. Only two titles I have not witnessed us winning live.

Yes, I also want this so badly. We are big favorites and we have to win both! Worth mentioning that we qualified for Clubs World Cup in 2022 as well with 24 teams.

PL is also absolute priority! Gap towards City under Tuchel is not big at all. We are 2nd with 7 points behind. We lost so many stupid points. I would even argue that we can win title with this squad without new players, basically just Timo and Kai need to be clinical and I am sure they will score much more goals next season.

That is it! Fa Cup, Carabao Cup not that bothered... CL apart from Real it never happened that team wins twice in a row so I wont be disappointed with that.