21. Ben Chilwell

Strike

5 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

65m? Not for me. Regulion better player and 30m cheaper. What the fuck

If Chilwell is £65m, then Reguilón is around £42.5m cheaper. Real said the wanted €25m (£22.5m).

If ANYONE tries to claim that paying (if it is the final price) £65m for Chilwell is some sort of grand bargain and/or a genius stroke by Marina, they are fucking delusional. 

If the Chilwell spend cock-blocks us from most all other moves, and we roll into the season with the same CB's, GKers, DMF's, and wingers, then even closing out Havertz (still around 70/30 in my book) might not be enough to keep Lampard from being sacked. If we also fail at Havertz and still do nothing other than Chilwell then its 75 to 80 percent likely Lamps gets the chop before the season is up.

1 hour ago, BXL70 said:

It does not make sense according to me.

Barca and Real blew up - they are close to bankruptcy - because over the last few years they have spent huge amount of money on players that turned out to be bang average with very long contracts and huge package. Some players that even do not play for them; Real; Bales on 550k a week, James Rodriguez, etc.; Barca with Umtidi, Dembélé, etc. 

Bayern is very much well managed instead. They will never spend 80£+ or 100m Euros on a single player. No surprise they do not need to sign Havertz for the price tag fixed by Dortmund. They destroyed Barca without Harvertz. And Leipzig is doing very well without Werner, qualified for CL semi-finals, no need to spend crazy.

80m £ for a player with little experience might lead us to the same issues as faced by Real and Barca. Non-sense.

Bayern spent similar money last summer on Lucas Hernandez.

Bayern are a well run club but it's difficult to compare them to any of the English teams or Real/Barca because they've monopolised Germany for years. They hoover up most of the best talent in Germany, thus strengthening themselves whilst weakening opponents and it's not a coincidence that they can consistently strike deals for players with only a year left on their contracts or even on free transfers (Lewandowski, Goretzka, etc). They would do the same to Leverkusen next summer with Havertz if they had their way.

Regarding Chilwell he's an England international (and first choice in his position) and been playing in the Premier League for the last 3-4 years. I don't understand the 'little experience'. The fee is large but I would say that Chilwell offers less risk than other signings. Telles and Tagliafico are both at an age where they can't afford much time to settle and we could be back in the market in 2-3 years time. Real Madrid want a buy back on Reguillon which again could cause problems down the line. I think in Chilwell you have someone that should be able to slot pretty seamlessly into the side, will know a number of our squad from international duty and has the experience of playing in the league and at his age we may not need to buy again in that position for the next 7-8 years. 

How many times in recent years have we lost out on first choice targets and settled for second/third/fourth choice alternatives. It is what has left our squad needing to be rebuilt. 

The reported fee doing the rounds is £50m + bonuses which I think sounds far more reasonable than the initial £80m being floated around.

IF its 65M that's a colossal waste of money. That's the absolute limit I'd ever consider paying for Rice and his position and flexibility is far more important to us.

Even if City have set the bar at 50m for Walker and Mendy theres no way we should be spending over that (being generous for Leicester having a strong position and us seemingly desperate to get him).

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

49 minutes ago, BluesMadLad said:

Whats it matter? Not your money mate dont worry about it!

It is our money if we've put anything into the club in terms of tickets, memberships, merchandise etc.

55 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

65m? Not for me. Regulion better player and 30m cheaper. What the fuck. Leicester will probably go and buy him afterwards and he will do what that young Turkish bloke did for them when they used him after selling Maguire. 100%. But if Frank wants him, fair does, good player potential to be a mainstay for 10+ years but never ever gonna be a 65m full back. Only a few who I would say is worth that cash off the top of my head: Hakimi, Mendy (Real Madrid one), Alex Sandro, Robertson, Alexander-Arnold, potentially Renan Lodi but not 100% convinced. Be others too but Chillwell isnt one of them for me, as I said Regulion be a cheaper and better option IMO.

Btw, you forgot the best LB in the planet (and only 19yo) Alphonso Davies. I am nit having a laugh at all if tomorrow we spent £100m on him. Same for Kimmich. TAA cant defend, so those 2 are the only fullbacks (and Kimmich is also the best DMF on the planet atm for me) worth £100m. TAA is £85 to 95m. If he sorts his defensive play, then sure 100m club there he is. Alaba 5 years ago was close to £100m.

Alex Sandro was worth £65m, probably a peak of £80m or so five years ago, but he is now worth half that, as he is 30yo in a few months.

6 minutes ago, Atomiswave said:

EerYGG7XsAAV6-j.thumb.png.06184c60cc693fef4a471079694c2221.png

Wait, so Chilwell is better than Reguilon? :o 

The first thing that caught my attention was that Aerial Wins stat. I know the Premier League and La Liga are two different leagues but one would think that is small key factor for Lampard given our set piece problems.

Regardless of the price, I think we can almost all agree however that Chilwell is a significant upgrade on our left back options. For me, he's the second best left back in the league after Robertson.

He will make a difference because he should improve our starting XI and his pace will be extremely useful.

Too many times last season we had no penetration on the left hand side. I think Lampard wants both wide areas to become dual threats and if Reece James can realise his potential then we could have two young full backs that are capable of getting up and down the flank and providing the width for the team. In doing so, it creates more attacking options when our wide players preferences are to cut inside. If for example, we have Pulisic on the left and Ziyech on the right we will have genuine dual threats on both flanks next season, and/or more opportunities to get bodies in the box like Liverpool and City do because their full backs are the ones providing the width, not the wingers.

54 minutes ago, DDA said:

This Reguilon fella looks average to me. 

He faces up better than Chilwell across the majority of major metrics. I have done multiple posts and stats bombs on this. He has been superb in multiple Sevilla (one of the very few Spanish clubs I actually like) games I have seen.

He also was voted La Liga LB of the year, over Gaya, Mendy, Lodi, and pussy ass bitch fanboi perennial fav Jordi 'mini-twat' Alba. Made my heart warm to see that dirty little cunt (minus the cannibalism, Alba is just as dirty as Suarez) cry like a baby after he and Barca took a Teutonic flogging in Lisbon.

Barca deffo did not heed this choon in the hot, humid Portuguese night air:

1 hour ago, Pizy said:

People need to remember that when Leicester were absolutely flying for much of the season Chilwell, like all of their players, was fantastic. Yes his level dropped off towards the end of the season but so did Maddison's, Soyuncu, everyone. They collapsed as a whole. So people should probably stop holding this last few months against him.

The reported fee is ridiculous whether it's 65m or even higher, but seeing people shit on him and call him horrendous are idiots. He's a great talent who will only get better. He ain't a 28-29 year old finished product.

Would I rather we sign Reguilon for a fraction of the price? Yes. But it's not like we'd be getting a shit player. 

Good post, agree 100%.

Chillwell is a gamble but so is any other signing. Telles and Tagliafico are cheaper but both will soon be 28 and need to settle in immediately to be considered successful signings and coming from Portugal/Netherlands it's far from a sure thing that they would hit the ground running. I would prefer Reguilon over Chillwell but only without a buy-back clause, which looks to be something Real Madrid are insisting on. And even then the only thing leaning me towards Reguilon is the price, I consider them to be equally good players.

Chillwell was good in 18/19 and even better in the first half of 19/20. Their whole team was a mess since around January so I'd much rather judge him on the earlier games when he was playing in a more functional team. Let's face it, in January anyone would have taken Chillwell without a second thought.

The club have been scouting Ben for a long time now and it's been clear since around August/September last year that he was the first choice target for Lampard at left-back. They would know what they're getting from him and probably aren't looking at just the last few months of the 19/20 season when deciding whether he's good enough or not. Fans are more fickle and reactive to base their opinions in short-term form so it's probably a good thing they're not in charge of the signings. Reguilon is the new flavor-of-the-month player but I doubt many on here have watched him (or Telles, Tagliafico) extensively. 

I too have doubts on Chillwell's price and the effect it may have on other signings this window but as long as the club know their budget and consider him a viable option financially I say go for it. Havertz for me is a priority at this moment and if that were to fall through because of money spent on Chillwell I would be unhappy about it but so far nothing suggests those two deals have anything to do with each other.

For £50M plus a maximum of £15M in performance based add-ons I would consider Chillwell a good signing, as long as it means the club still have money for Havertz and a goalkeeper at the very least. Getting a new CB (or Rice) will probably depend on player sales to raise funds and more importantly make room in the squad so I don't think Chillwell signing affects that.

For £80M or something as ridiculous as that I'd say hard pass on Chillwell.

31 minutes ago, Tomo said:

It is our money if we've put anything into the club in terms of tickets, memberships, merchandise etc.

Doesn't make it yours tho. U pay for a ticket u get a ticket.u  buy a shirt u get a shirt, if thats the case go winge to amazon because u have purchased items from them.